View Poll Results: Kingdom Come vs. The Earth X saga

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kingdom Come

18 85.71%
  • The Earth X saga

3 14.29%
    Fantastic Member

Default Kingdom Come vs. The Earth X saga: which story was better?

In the mid-late 90s to early 2000s, both DC and Marvel came out with stories about our favorite superheroes in alternate futures where things have gone very wrong. DC had Kingdom Come, where Superman retired after the public preferred superheroes like Magog, who actually killed villains like the Joker. Meanwhile, Marvel came out with the Earth X saga, which was split up into three miniseries (Earth X, Universe X, and Paradise X) about what happened when the Earth was forcibly mutated with the terrigen mists (ironically, this event actually happened in the main Marvel over a decade later). Kingdom Come basically asked the question about how much trust we should have in the heroes to do the right thing. Meanwhile, the Earth X saga saw what the heroes had to go through to still protect people. So, the question is, which story is better? In my opinion, Kingdom Come is better, mostly because I still remember it better.

I'd rate Earth X higher. I think it did a better job introducing the new characters.

I'm not going to count the sequels, just as I won't count the Kingdom Come sequels and follow-ups.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I'm going with Kingdom Come. The story was just better in my opinion, more in the way of unforgettable. Earth-X just didn't do that for me.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Boisterously Confused

It's hard to choose. KC made for a cleaner story, while EX explored more corners and consequences of its future.

Kingdom Come, hands down. And I usually lean towards Marvel stuff, but on this one, it's the DC story.

If for no other reason than the fact that it told a far more moving story in far fewer issues. Earth X was, by the time all was said and done, something like 40-50 issues? It almost felt more like they were doing a handbook of an alt-Marvel Universe and checking off every hero and villain of notoriety just to show what they were up to. Meanwhile, Kingdom Come had for issues and kept it focused on a main story of how Superman would fit back into a modern, edgier world.

If you can tell a moving story in four issues, do it. Don't meander about for years and make a less impressive point.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I'm going with Kingdom Come. The story was just better in my opinion, more in the way of unforgettable. Earth-X just didn't do that for me.
    Same for me.

There was a story in Earth X...?
    KC all the way!

Astonishing Member

Neither.

I was bored by both. A least I finished Kingdom come.

Earth X Galactus vs Celestials

Kingdom Come told a story better, but Earth-X was filled with more interesting ideas.

Astonishing Member

Earth X but I had read the trilogy three times before I read Kingdom Come.

Kingdom Come. So much better in all ways.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

I personally love Earth X better. As a fan who grew up with 95% Marvel comics, it was really cool to read the Earth X story. I didn't bother with Universe X or Paradise X, as they lost Jean-Paul Leon on art duty.

If I looked at it objectively, I think Kingdom Come is a better overall comic.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I haven't really read enough of Kingdom Come and I knew it was the biggest thing at the time since Watchmen but since I read Earth X, and loved it, I would be biased. Both had gorgeous art by Ross though.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Yeah. Like Arfguy, I'm not much of a DC fan, so Earth X was more meaningful to me, but the quality of Kingdom Come really cannot be denied.

But I'm really not thrilled with either.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier