Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Superior Spider-Man/ Octopus

For those of you that like Otto Octavius as the Superior Spider-man:

What are your thoughts on the One More Day scenario that de-evolved the character back to the beginning of his creation.

The ending was good because it didn't undo his development, it was a halfway measure that let the book take the reader on a feels trip while letting the next writer choose which direction they want to lean towards. And by "let the next writer choose" I mean "let the next writer actually **** it up." Spencer probably would not **** it up, though. His Otto take is basically the only thing that might convince me that the run shouldn't end next year.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Wait is there a new Superior Spiderman book coming?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

iMan 42s

I thought it was complete ass and a slap in the face to his development.

This Otto is not Otto Octavious he's an A.I duplicate and so once finding himself able to stand on his own, he reverts to being a man he never actually was. The A.I started as Spider-man even if he literally didn't start as Spider-man. His goal was to continue being Spider-man and seemed to enjoy it. Now he's a man everybody kept saying he was, a man Otto literally isn't because he's dead, and gave into peer pressure from Mephisto of all people because he couldn't take Norman Osborn. I would also like to reiterate that Otto as Spider-man is significantly better equipped but no the fat old man with outdated equipment is apparently what you need to take on "the most dangerous villain" Otto has ever faced despite fighting Terrax in the first arc. And sure even if he's retained some aspects of this, it's still turning him into something he's not and unintentionally saying that peer pressure makes you who you are, no I didn't like the ending.

Even if this was planned this also is shooting a franchise spin-off in the foot because despite having another Doctor Octopus and the means to simply make another Otto, no we ended up doing the stupid thing and removing a spin-off because Peter Parker needed six more books to dominate shelf-space. And for what? Otto has yet to show up anywhere and even if he has nobody seems to have noticed. The most relevant he's been in a decade and it was ditched for..., nostalgia? What's the point of resetting the board if it isn't the same Otto and you can have both? The people who hated Superior Spider-man aren't even reading the book.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I really enjoyed Superior Spider-man. It was my favorite newer book that I have read and is one of my favorite spider man stories. I was said it ended and how it ended.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

dispointed sad to see them go to back to old Doc Ock but now i know how the comic game works i dont even care anymore
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by boltmonster View Post
    For those of you that like Otto Octavius as the Superior Spider-man:

What are your thoughts on the One More Day scenario that de-evolved the character back to the beginning of his creation.
    I hated the OMD type f'u ending to fans of Superior Spider-Man. It made me stop reading 616 Spider-Man related comic books, no joke. I still follow Miles and (for the most part) Spider-Gwen.

Superior Spider-Man/Superior Octopus was a great deal of fun while the ride lasted. SSM Era was the most I've enjoyed Ock since I was a kid in the late 1980s' and 1990s'. SSM Ock (and the concept in general) was (by far) the best thing Slott did during his run, IMO. Oh, and the story arc introduced the greatest new comic book supporting character bar none of the last twenty years (or longer), my best girl, Anna Maria Marconi.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-20-2020 at 07:51 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Hated it, there were many MANY ways of ending it and getting fat Ock back but no, they went with the stupid way.

What was worse was the writer admitting on Twitter that Marvel didnt pressure him to do it, he just thought OMD was cool and that it fit Ottos journey. Which made him look hideously out of touch with the fanbase considering even the people that hate the marriage think that it was way too on the nose.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Hated it, there were many MANY ways of ending it and getting fat Ock back but no, they went with the stupid way.

What was worse was the writer admitting on Twitter that Marvel didnt pressure him to do it, he just thought OMD was cool and that it fit Ottos journey. Which made him look hideously out of touch with the fanbase considering even the people that hate the marriage think that it was way too on the nose.
    Wow, i think that hurts more than anything, knowing we still could have had a Superior Otto but for the whim of a writer, and not an editorial mandate.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    Wow, i think that hurts more than anything, knowing we still could have had a Superior Otto but for the whim of a writer, and not an editorial mandate.
    Indeed, I don't know what to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Indeed, I don't know what to say...
    The thing is we could have had both and they even made it look like they'd done that for a brief second before going "Nah **** you"

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    Yeah, that is immensely disappointing to find out.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

No, he did it because he wanted the story to be a tragedy and thought someone else would inevitably reset him, so he did it in a way where his story has an ending but the next writer is in a position where they can choose how much Otto remembers and how much development he retains, because it was a halfway measure.

Go to 23:40

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    No, he did it because he wanted the story to be a tragedy and thought someone else would inevitably reset him, so he did it in a way where his story has an ending but the next writer is in a position where they can choose how much Otto remembers and how much development he retains, because it was a halfway measure.

Go to 23:40

That's interesting to know. Maybe takes the sting off it a little.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's interesting to know. Maybe takes the sting off it a little.
    A little, but as a fan of the SSM character (along with the general concept behind Otto's original Superior run) it still hurts plenty.