Default Darkness analogy examples

As analogies go hears one I've been playing with: Vampires are creatures touched by darkness, demons are creatures made out of darkness.

One idea is that demons are worse than a normal vampire, either having control of darkness or are what worse easily due to being more pure.

The idea of the thread is to find examples in fiction that are true in that there are beings touched by darkness, more infected, more touched, or more made out of darkness that simply being touched by it, along ones that are pure, demon or not that are not only made out of darkness but worse because of it, and find stories where you wish this was the case, or just like playing with and want to talk about as being worse or a certain way for fun.

One example is this: For all the terror Alucard in Hellsing can cause he simply a creature touched by darkness, when a cult summons an actual demon he learns how small he really is.

If you were writing a fantasy novel, you'd need to decide what darkness actually is, in your universe.

Is God—or Eru Ilúvatar, or the Emperor Beyond the Sea, or your Creator Being, whoever He or She is—primary and eternal? Because then light is something and darkness is an absence, something much weaker. Because in those cosmologies, things are only as real as they partake of the Creator.

But if there are equal gods of good and evil, then both light and dark may be a something, each a fullness unto themselves.

As to demons, what are they in your fictional mythology? Are they spiritual entities, fallen angels? Because then they'd probably be older and stronger than most vamps. A vamp is material and can die (or die again, or just be destroyed), but a fallen angel is an eternal being (even if eternally damned).

So in regard to all these topics, I'd start at the beginning: what is your fictional universe's cosmology? Some authors, like Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, are pretty clear on how their multiverse is metaphysically structured. Others less so.

If your question relates to creating your own fictional universe, first get clear on the cosmological foundation (even if you don't share this with readers). Then you can then build other elements up more clearly and consistently.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 03-19-2020 at 11:40 PM.

: Raises a hand.: As he said, depends on narrative of the story. I myself made like five universes with different takes on demons and vamps. Depends on which source.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    If you were writing a fantasy novel, you'd need to decide what darkness actually is, in your universe.

Is God—or Eru Ilúvatar, or the Emperor Beyond the Sea, or your Creator Being, whoever He or She is—primary and eternal? Because then light is something and darkness is an absence, something much weaker. Because in those cosmologies, things are only as real as they partake of the Creator.

But if there are equal gods of good and evil, then both light and dark may be a something, each a fullness unto themselves.

As to demons, what are they in your fictional mythology? Are they spiritual entities, fallen angels? Because then they'd probably be older and stronger than most vamps. A vamp is material and can die (or die again, or just be destroyed), but a fallen angel is an eternal being (even if eternally damned).

So in regard to all these topics, I'd start at the beginning: what is your fictional universe's cosmology? Some authors, like Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, are pretty clear on how their multiverse is metaphysically structured. Others less so.

If your question relates to creating your own fictional universe, first get clear on the cosmological foundation (even if you don't share this with readers). Then you can then build other elements up more clearly and consistently.

Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    : Raises a hand.: As he said, depends on narrative of the story. I myself made like five universes with different takes on demons and vamps. Depends on which source.
    Sorry, I forgot what the difference between an analogy and a metaphor are.

Yeah and also vampires/demons are different by different sources.

Vampire creation:
    1: Necromancy or by another vampire.
    2: A were wolf dying changed to a vampire (or the reverse. Some folk lore is strange.)
    3: A curse. Like Cain from World if Darkness and in other myths/plots the deity dishing the curse leads to said weaknesses.
    4: A pseudo Lich in that they made a horrible oath or pact/spell/deal to shed their humanity to become a vampire. Almost like a fiend except no Lordship over Hell at all ( Fiends are a term of many kinds of demons. My favorite are humans turned demon.)

Demon:
    1: Lesser demon dye to fall a follower not leader.
    2: Hells version of angels made to serve devils. ( In this version all they speak are truths.)
    3: Generic monster from Hell/Chaos energy, etc. ( Warhammer. Yes they are called Daemon, but in reality that is something else.)
    4: In reality a servant of Heaven, just for God’s less pleasant work. ( they tend to be honest too, no sense to lie.)
    5: The never born. Actually occult/paranormal haunting where a creature with a soul but no body to be born, straight from Hell itself who bothers the living. ( As a fun note, a politrigest is not a ghost. Lent up negative psychic energy release, left mark in a place and so with a life of its own, haunts.)
    6: If you spell it be daemon. Sounds the same but applies to all supernatural creatures/beings who were never born as a human soul at all ( angels, demons, Fae, dragons, lesser Gods, true God and so forth.)
    7: The deal in Islam. Where they are beings not made by God but hate creation and seek to undo its works.