Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Mighty Member jb681131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,136

    Default Death of the Stacys

    One of the major stories and fan favorites is Death of the Stacys

    It is in fact a tpb that collect two stories:
    1. The Death of Captain Stacy - Amazing Spider-Man #88-93
    2. The Night Gwen Stacy Died - Amazing Spider-Man #120-121


    The Death of Captain Stacy
    Captain Stacy witnessed another battle between Spider-Man and Doctor Octopus. A crowd had gathered when large bits of concrete started to fall. Captain Stacy was then killed when he was crushed by falling debris while saving a small child . Before he died he revealed to Spider-Man that he knew he was secretly Peter Parker. Captain Stacy's final words were "Be good to her, son! Be good to her. She loves you so very much"
    This arc has a prequel in Amazing Spider-Man #87 - Why isn't it collected ?

    The Night Gwen Stacy Died
    The Green Goblin kidnaps Gwen and throws her off the Brooklyn Bridge. Spider-Man tries to save her but is unsuccessful.
    Some other collected books include Amazing Spider-Man #96-98 (The Goblin's Last Gasp!) and Webspinners: Tales of Spider-Man #1 (The Kiss) - Why aren't they collected ?

    Should there be a more extensive Gwen Stacy / Captain Stacy omnibus ? - Here are the concerned issues

    First Impressions - 8 issues
    Dec 65 - If This Be My Destiny - Amazing Spider-Man #31
    Mar 66 - Kraven the Hunter - Amazing Spider-Man #34-36
    Jun 66 - The End of the Green Goblin - Amazing Spider-Man #37-40

    Relationship Tests - 18 issues
    Oct 66 - The Horns of the Rhino! - Amazing Spider-Man #41-43
    Jan 67 - Where Crawls the Lizard! - Amazing Spider-Man #44-45
    Mar 67 - The Sinister Shocker! - Amazing Spider-Man #46
    Apr 67 - The Love Triangle Begins - Amazing Spider-Man #47-49
    Jul 67 - To Die a Hero - Amazing Spider-Man #50-52
    Aug 67 - In The Clutches Of...The Kingpin! - Amazing Spider-Man #53-54
    Oct 67 - Enter: Dr. Octopus - Amazing Spider-Man #55-57
    Nov 67 - The Web And The Flame! - Amazing Spider-Man Annual #4
    Mar 68 - To Kill A Spider-Man! - Amazing Spider-Man #58

    Captain Stacy out of retirement - 10 issues
    Apr 68 - Battling the Kingpin - Amazing Spider-Man #59-61
    Jul 68 - Make Way For---Medusa! - Amazing Spider-Man #62
    Aug 68 - The Vulture's Prey - Amazing Spider-Man #63-65
    Jul 68 - Lo, this Monster! - Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine #1
    Nov 68 - The Madness of Mysterio! - Amazing Spider-Man #66-67
    Nov 68 - At Long Last...The Parents of Peter Parker! - Amazing Spider-Man Annual #5
    Nov 68 - The Goblin Lives! - Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine #2

    The Lifeline Tablet Saga - 10 issues
    Jan 69 - Mission: Crush The Kingpin! - Amazing Spider-Man #68-70
    Apr 69 - Quicksilver / Shocker / Man-Mountain Marko - Amazing Spider-Man #71-73
    Jul 69 - The Lizard returns - Amazing Spider-Man #74-77

    Relationship issues - 9 issues
    Nov 69 - To Prowl No More! - Amazing Spider-Man #78-79
    Jan 70 - Chameleon / Kangaroo / Electro - Amazing Spider-Man #80-82
    Apr 70 - The Secret of the Schemer - Amazing Spider-Man #83-85
    Jul 70 - Beware the Black Widow! - - Amazing Spider-Man #86

    The Death of Captain Stacy - 7 issues
    Aug 70 - The Death of Captain Stacy - Amazing Spider-Man #87-93

    The Goblin's Last Gasp! - 7 issues
    Mar 71 - Aunt May and the Beetle - Amazing Spider-Man #94
    Apr 71 - Spidey fights in London - Amazing Spider-Man #95
    May 71 - The Goblin's Last Gasp! - Amazing Spider-Man #96-98
    Aug 71 - Panic in the Prison - Amazing Spider-Man #99
    Sep 71 - The Spider Or The Man? - Amazing Spider-Man #100

    The Savage Land Saga - 20 issues
    Oct 71 - A Monster Called Morbius - Amazing Spider-Man #101-102
    Nov 71 - The Savage Land Saga - Amazing Spider-Man #103-104
    Feb 72 - Spider Slayers - Amazing Spider-Man #105-107
    May 72 - Spider-Man vs. The Monk - Amazing Spider-Man #108-109
    Jul 72 - Spider-Man vs. Gibbon - Amazing Spider-Man #110-111
    Sep 72 - Spidey Cops Out - Amazing Spider-Man #112
    Oct 72 - The Doc Ock and Hammerhead War - Amazing Spider-Man #113-115
    Dec 72 - Spider-Man vs. the Smasher and the Disruptor! - Amazing Spider-Man #114-117
    Apr 72 - Spidey vs. The Hulk - Amazing Spider-Man #118-119

    The Death of Gwen Stacy - 3 issues
    Jun 72 - The Night Gwen Stacy Died - Amazing Spider-Man #121-122
    Aug 72 - The Funeral / Spider-Man vs. Luke Cage - Amazing Spider-Man #123

    The Original Clone Saga - 14 issues
    Dec 74 - The Jackal and Grizzly - Amazing Spider-Man #139-140
    Jan 75 - The return of Mysterio! - Amazing Spider-Man #141-143
    May 75 - The Delusion Conspiracy! - Amazing Spider-Man #144
    Jun 75 - When strikes the Scorpion - Amazing Spider-Man #145-146
    Jul 75 - The Tarantula takes the Game - Amazing Spider-Man #147
    Aug 75 - The Shatering Secret of the Jackal - Amazing Spider-Man #148-149
    Oct 75 - Spider-Man...or Spider-Clone? - Amazing Spider-Man #150
    Nov 75 - Shattered By the Shocker! - Amazing Spider-Man #151-152

    Dead No More: The Clone Conspiracy - 25 issues
    Oct 16 - Before Dead No More - Amazing Spider-Man vol.4 #16-19
    Dec 16 - Dead No More 1 - The Clone Conspiracy #1
    Dec 16 - Spider-Man Superior - Amazing Spider-Man vol.4 #20
    Jan 17 - Dead No More 2 - The Clone Conspiracy #2
    Jan 17 - Live Another Day - Amazing Spider-Man vol.4 #21
    Jan 17 - Silk vs. Spider-Woman - Silk vol.2 #14-15
    Feb 17 - Dead No More 2 - The Clone Conspiracy #3
    Feb 17 - Seeing Red - Amazing Spider-Man vol.4 #22
    Dec 17 - Prowler vs. The Jackal - Prowler vol.2 #1-3
    Mar 17 - Silk vs. The Jackal - Silk vol.2 #16
    Mar 17 - Dead No More 4 - The Clone Conspiracy #4
    Mar 17 - The Moment You Know - Amazing Spider-Man vol.4 #23
    Mar 17 - A New Underground Misssion - Prowler vol.2 #4
    Apr 17 - Dead No More 4 - The Clone Conspiracy #5
    Apr 17 - Silk vs. Spectro - Silk vol.2 #17
    Apr 17 - Night of the Jackals - Amazing Spider-Man vol.4 #24
    Apr 17 - Scores Setelling - Prowler vol.2 #5
    May 17 - Conclusion - The Clone Conspiracy: Omega
    May 17 - Aftermath - Prowler vol.2 #6

    Major Collected Editons

    Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection 2: Great Responsibility - Amazing Spider-Man #18-38, Annual #2 + Not Brand Echh #2
    Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection 3: Spider-Man No More - Amazing Spider-Man #39–52, Annual #3-4
    Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection 4: The Goblin Lives - Amazing Spider-Man #53-67 + Spectacular Spider-Man magazine #1-2 + Marvel Super-Heroes #14 + Not Brand Echh #6, 11
    Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection 5: The Secret of the Petrified Tablet - Amazing Spider-Man #68-85, Annual #5
    Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection 7: The Goblin's Last Stand - Amazing Spider-Man #105–123

    Amazing Spider-man: The Lifeline Tablet Saga - Amazing Spider-Man #68-75 + Spider-Man: Lifeline #1-3
    The Amazing Spider-Man: Death of the Stacys - Amazing Spider-Man #88-92, 121-122
    Spider-Man: The Original Clone Saga - Amazing Spider-Man #139-150
    Amazing Spider-Man: The Clone Conspiracy - Amazing Spider-Man #19-24 + The Clone Conspiracy #1-6 + The Clone Conspiracy: Omega + Silk #14-17 + Prowler #1-5 + Free Comic Book Day 2016 (Captain America)
    Last edited by jb681131; 04-10-2020 at 03:41 PM.

  2. #2
    Spectacular Member Spidey_62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Any collection of the death of the Stacy's should really include the Death and Destiny mini-series by Lee Weeks as that acts as a follow-up to Captain Stacy's death and ties up the loose-ends with Doc Ock. The fact that it's never really been collected is a shame, it goes under the radar as a result. It's a great story that fits into place remarkably well and has a lot of emotional drama.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 04-10-2020 at 03:46 PM.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,798

    Default

    A more extensive Gwen Stacy / Captain Stacy omnibus would be interesting.It would be a Omnibus that would have many of the same stories that are in Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol#3 and 4 though.
    The Death of the Stacys stories are for sure stories that are must read in the continuity of the Spider-Man comics.
    I know that when i started buying Spider-Man comics way back,the Death of the Gwen Stacy story was the comic book that i wanted to read more because of the way it defined the stories of Spider-Man.
    Thus when i got a comic book with those stories it was a important addition to my collection.
    I have a Portuguese Hardcover book with the Death of the Stacys that have ASM#88 to 90,then in the middle the Death&Destiny limited series by Lee Weeks from 2000 (A limited series that expands the narrative of the Death of Captain Stacy story) and in the end ASM#121 to 123.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,242

    Default

    All of these issues have already been collected in Omnibuses, Marvel Masterworks and (for the most part) Epic Collections.

  5. #5
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    332

    Default

    I think the Gwen Stacy/Captain Stacy saga is pretty well contained to Amazing Omnibus vol. 3 and 4, but I suppose there's some worth in making something like this to cut out all of the filler. You could even throw in Spider-man: Blue.

    I'd personally like to see a Spider-man and Mary Jane omnibus that collects the milestones in their relationship as it was a subplot that was sprawled over decades and various runs.They could include select issues from Lee/Romita, Conway, Stern, Defalco, Straczynski, etc. as well as The Wedding Annual, Parallel Lives, Kraven's Last Hunt, and the Sensational Annual.

    Maybe they could create separate collections for Gwen, Felicia, and Mary Jane.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 04-10-2020 at 06:45 PM.

  6. #6
    Mighty Member jb681131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    All of these issues have already been collected in Omnibuses, Marvel Masterworks and (for the most part) Epic Collections.
    Indeed, but never as a whole. Bits here and bits there.
    Or you have to buy massive books with lots of stories that are not interresting on the matter.
    The "Death of the Stacy's" tpb is so thin that it could (should) include more background stories. To get to know more about Peter and Gwen's relationship, to know more about Captain Stacy, to learn more on the hatred between The Green Goblin and Spidey, ...

  7. #7
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    9,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Any collection of the death of the Stacy's should really include the Death and Destiny mini-series by Lee Weeks as that acts as a follow-up to Captain Stacy's death and ties up the loose-ends with Doc Ock. The fact that it's never really been collected is a shame, it goes under the radar as a result. It's a great story that fits into place remarkably well and has a lot of emotional drama.
    This sounds really interesting, I'll have to peep it sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by ???
    The world has changed, and so have I.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Indeed, but never as a whole. Bits here and bits there.
    Or you have to buy massive books with lots of stories that are not interresting on the matter.
    Dude, you literally listed every issue of Amazing Spider-Man from #31-123. That's all in Marvel Masterworks Amazing Spider-Man volumes 4-13, Epic Collection volumes 2-7, Omnibus volumes 1-4.

    It's all been made available, chronologically, in multiple formats. What you're suggesting is alternate Epic Collections that start and end on slightly different issues. Why would Marvel publish that?

  9. #9
    Mighty Member jb681131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Dude, you literally listed every issue of Amazing Spider-Man from #31-123. That's all in Marvel Masterworks Amazing Spider-Man volumes 4-13, Epic Collection volumes 2-7, Omnibus volumes 1-4.

    It's all been made available, chronologically, in multiple formats. What you're suggesting is alternate Epic Collections that start and end on slightly different issues. Why would Marvel publish that?
    First I haven't sayd Marvel should republish exactly I listed.
    They should compile the stories really centered on Gwen and the Captain.

    Also there are lots of downsides to the volumes you listed:
    - Marvel Masterworks Amazing Spider-Man volumes 4-13 - too expensive
    - Epic Collection volumes 2-7 - strange cuts of stories !
    - Omnibus volumes 1-4 - too big

    Death of the Stacys tpb is like 5 milimiters thick, that's nothing. It could contain so much more to have a better book. Look at how thick the Epic books are !
    They could do something in the style of the "Birth of Venom tpb" ! It could be titles "The Rise and Fall of the Stacys" with the following stories:
    The relationship
    • Dec 65 - If This Be My Destiny - Amazing Spider-Man #31
    • Jun 66 - The End of the Green Goblin - Amazing Spider-Man #37-40
    • Apr 67 - The Love Triangle Begins - Amazing Spider-Man #47-49

    The Return of the Captain
    • Aug 67 - In The Clutches Of...The Kingpin! - Amazing Spider-Man #53-54
    • Apr 68 - Battling the Kingpin - Amazing Spider-Man #59-61
    • Nov 68 - The Goblin Lives! - Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine #2
    • Jan 69 - Mission: Crush The Kingpin! - Amazing Spider-Man #68-70

    The Death of the Captain
    • Nov 69 - To Prowl No More! - Amazing Spider-Man #78-79
    • Apr 70 - The Secret of the Schemer - Amazing Spider-Man #83-85
    • Jul 70 - Beware the Black Widow! - Amazing Spider-Man #86
    • Aug 70 - The Death of Captain Stacy - Amazing Spider-Man #87-93

    The Death of Gwen
    • May 71 - The Goblin's Last Gasp! - Amazing Spider-Man #96-98
    • Sep 71 - The Spider Or The Man? - Amazing Spider-Man #100
    • Jun 72 - The Night Gwen Stacy Died - Amazing Spider-Man #121-122
    • Aug 72 - The Funeral / Spider-Man vs. Luke Cage - Amazing Spider-Man #123

    It would then be a 39 issues book, against 7 now - making it the size of 2 epics - maybe it can be reduced a bit to fit in 1 more complete soft book of 20-30 issues !

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    First I haven't sayd Marvel should republish exactly I listed.
    They should compile the stories really centered on Gwen and the Captain.

    Also there are lots of downsides to the volumes you listed:
    - Marvel Masterworks Amazing Spider-Man volumes 4-13 - too expensive
    - Epic Collection volumes 2-7 - strange cuts of stories !
    - Omnibus volumes 1-4 - too big

    Death of the Stacys tpb is like 5 milimiters thick, that's nothing. It could contain so much more to have a better book. Look at how thick the Epic books are !
    They could do something in the style of the "Birth of Venom tpb" ! It could be titles "The Rise and Fall of the Stacys" with the following stories:
    The relationship
    • Dec 65 - If This Be My Destiny - Amazing Spider-Man #31
    • Jun 66 - The End of the Green Goblin - Amazing Spider-Man #37-40
    • Apr 67 - The Love Triangle Begins - Amazing Spider-Man #47-49

    The Return of the Captain
    • Aug 67 - In The Clutches Of...The Kingpin! - Amazing Spider-Man #53-54
    • Apr 68 - Battling the Kingpin - Amazing Spider-Man #59-61
    • Nov 68 - The Goblin Lives! - Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine #2
    • Jan 69 - Mission: Crush The Kingpin! - Amazing Spider-Man #68-70

    The Death of the Captain
    • Nov 69 - To Prowl No More! - Amazing Spider-Man #78-79
    • Apr 70 - The Secret of the Schemer - Amazing Spider-Man #83-85
    • Jul 70 - Beware the Black Widow! - Amazing Spider-Man #86
    • Aug 70 - The Death of Captain Stacy - Amazing Spider-Man #87-93

    The Death of Gwen
    • May 71 - The Goblin's Last Gasp! - Amazing Spider-Man #96-98
    • Sep 71 - The Spider Or The Man? - Amazing Spider-Man #100
    • Jun 72 - The Night Gwen Stacy Died - Amazing Spider-Man #121-122
    • Aug 72 - The Funeral / Spider-Man vs. Luke Cage - Amazing Spider-Man #123

    It would then be a 39 issues book, against 7 now - making it the size of 2 epics - maybe it can be reduced a bit to fit in 1 more complete soft book of 20-30 issues !
    Who is the audience? The audience for chunky $40 collections of vintage comics would favour the already existing Epic Collections. The audience for cheaper "highlight reel" collections wouldn't commit to 4 books, and probably wouldn't seek out a collection themed around George Stacy.

  11. #11
    Mighty Member jb681131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Who is the audience? The audience for chunky $40 collections of vintage comics would favour the already existing Epic Collections. The audience for cheaper "highlight reel" collections wouldn't commit to 4 books, and probably wouldn't seek out a collection themed around George Stacy.
    Sure they would. It collects "If This Be My Destiny", "The Golbin Lives!", "The Kingpin Saga", "The Lifeline Tablet Saga", "The Death of Captain Stacy" and "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" as one storyline ! It would be a must have.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Even if there are epic collections and omnibuses, a specific collection organizing stories centered around Gwen and Captain Stacy including their significant stuff from start to finish is a good idea. After all, Roger Stern's run is collected in omnibuses but there are still series organizing together his original Hobgoblin Saga by featuring just those issues (and the Spectacular issues featuring Kingsley he did before).

    My picks would be:

    ASM#39-44, ASM#47 (Mostly because you cannot tell the story of Gwen Stacy without also dealing with the Green Goblin, and also dealing with Mary Jane Watson...these issues include all of that).

    ASM#56 (Captain Stacy's first appearance) followed by "The Big Brainwasher" stories starting from #59 onwards (which actually features Peter and Gwen's first kiss...a rather unromantic throwaway moment but still).

    ASM#87-ASM#92 -- The prelude to Captain's death (87), the actual death storyline (88-90), the aftermath (91-92). So this has to be there.

    ASM#96-98 -- The Drug Trilogy, which obviously now reads like a prelude to the Death of Gwen story. Dealing with the major players that feature there, and of course Gwen coming back at the finale from London, is her and Peter's biggest romantic moment in comics.

    ASM#121-122 -- For obvious reasons.

    I'd also include Spider-Man Blue as a coda and epilogue. So that's about 20 issues which you can squeeze in to a handsome edition.

    Some people are arguing to include "The Lifeline Tablet" but while Gwen and Captain Stacy feature there, to me that story is about mob-wars and tablets that may or may not have powers. It's not really about the two characters.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 04-11-2020 at 08:39 AM.

  13. #13
    Mighty Member Chubistian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    1,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Any collection of the death of the Stacy's should really include the Death and Destiny mini-series by Lee Weeks as that acts as a follow-up to Captain Stacy's death and ties up the loose-ends with Doc Ock. The fact that it's never really been collected is a shame, it goes under the radar as a result. It's a great story that fits into place remarkably well and has a lot of emotional drama.
    There are a couple spanish editions, one from Spain and the other one from Argentina, that collected Death and Destiny. I guess since one of those collection was made by Panini, it must exist in other countries such as France or Italy. I hope it gets collected sooner or later in the US, since it's a great addition to Captain Stacy's death. I guess it's one of those cases where foreign editions take risks in including new material or uncollected material, like in the case of Child Within, also edited by Panini
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

    "We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

  14. #14
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,246

    Default

    I can understand Marvel going with an omnibus. It seems to me like something redundant, given how most of these stories have been reprinted, but it'll probably sell enough.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •