35 40.23%
  • Bryan E.Hill (Fallen Angels)

0 0%
  • Ed Brisson (New Mutants)

1 1.15%
  • Gerry Duggan (Marauders)

12 13.79%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hickman's highs are very high. His lows are average. His concepts are amazing. His visions for the franchise are fascinating and I'm thankful he's the creative head of the franchise. His voices for the characters (but Xavier, Magneto and Emma) feel sometimes off, and out of character.

Percy is very good, and consistent. He's very, very good at characterization. His voices for the characters are spot on. He gets them, and they talk not all the same (which is sometimes Hickman's weakness). Percy made me care and love characters I never care about before : Black Tom and Domino. He's very consistent in his delivery. His books are solid, and feel like a real team book, even if he sometimes focus on some characters, like Domino. Yet, X-Force doesn't feel like Domino's book. Or Beast book, or Loagn's book. (The opposite of X-Men Gold... Gold was Kitty's book. Kitty and her X-Men accessories)

So if I could, I'd vote a tie for both of them. But I can't. So my choice goes for Percy, for a totally biased reason : I really like the man and the writer.

Fantastic Member

Hickman and Percy are the most consistent and pretty much carry’s the dawn of X for me. They are better at writing and executing concepts than the rest of the writers. Duggar is a hit or a miss. He would benefit more with a stronger artist. Excalibur got 5x more interesting after Kitty died. Tini was just a disappointment. I don’t think she is a strong enough creator to play with the pros. It sucks because I was really looking forward to see Betsy get the spotlight after she revert back to her original body. I was a big Psylocke fan and I’m disappointed how both Betsy and Kwannon feels so out of character. They pretty much undid all the growth and character development of Psylocke in the past decade.Fallen Angel doesn’t make much sense and the concept of mutant magic could have been better executed.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by franckd View Post
    Hickman's highs are very high. His lows are average. His concepts are amazing. His visions for the franchise are fascinating and I'm thankful he's the creative head of the franchise. His voices for the characters (but Xavier, Magneto and Emma) feel sometimes off, and out of character.

Percy is very good, and consistent. He's very, very good at characterization. His voices for the characters are spot on. He gets them, and they talk not all the same (which is sometimes Hickman's weakness). Percy made me care and love characters I never care about before : Black Tom and Domino. He's very consistent in his delivery. His books are solid, and feel like a real team book, even if he sometimes focus on some characters, like Domino. Yet, X-Force doesn't feel like Domino's book. Or Beast book, or Loagn's book. (The opposite of X-Men Gold... Gold was Kitty's book. Kitty and her X-Men accessories)

So if I could, I'd vote a tie for both of them. But I can't. So my choice goes for Percy, for a totally biased reason : I really like the man and the writer.
    I couldn't agree with you more about the two writers. But I think hickman's greatest contribution is his creativity and planning for DOX. Without his leadership, all writers including Percy,probably couldn't do it as well as they do now.
    Last edited by PotniaTheron; 03-21-2020 at 06:09 AM.

Mighty Member

I am not surprised that Ed Brisson is the least favorite writer of ongoing series.

For me, my two favorite writers are

Percy > Hickman

It would help if we could get a better artist for X-Men
    Last edited by ericng; 03-21-2020 at 06:38 AM.

Spectacular Member

I think I'm probably the only one who thinks Hill's FA is good...

Quote Originally Posted by PotniaTheron View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more about the two writers. But I think hickman's greatest contribution is his creativity and planning for DOX. Without his leadership, all writers including Percy,probably couldn't do it as well as they do now.

Yes, Hickman is the genius one. And as I said I am grateful he's the head of the franchise reboot. I was also totally honest when I said that I voted for Percy for biased reasons. I like the writer. But I also like the public figure. I've seen some interviews of him on youtube, and I appreciate the way he talks, and I can relate to some of his ideals.

Amazing Member

Really enjoyed Percy's X Force, most consistent comic for me but been so disappointed with Excalibur. Betsy has always been my favourite and was so looking forward to this but the execution and pacing has been a bit of a mess to the point I nearly stopped buying it but I'll see what the next arc brings, must admit this week's was a bit better.

Percy's X-Force has consistently been the best written for me. Hickman has been all over the place, some issues of X-Men are great reads and some are boring to me. Duggan's Marauders started out with a good first issue and sort of fell flat afterwards until Kitty died, that one event has made it interesting. Hill's Fallen Angels had a spectacular first issue but the bottom dropped out very quickly. The biggest disappointment has been Excalibur. Cast wise that's got my favorite group of cast, and I'm mainly reading it for that, but the writing is just dull and seems to have no direction. And it shouldn't be that way, it's got magic and Morgan Le Fay, things that interest me normally, but I'm only barely enjoying it.

Hickman's highs are great, but he does struggle with some of the X-Men characterizations and his preference for dark grey morality puts a strain on the more familial and fun core aspects of the franchise. I do think his ideas are fascinating, but he's not as balanced as I would like. Having read his older Marvel works now, I see that those are deep trends, and I wonder if he can really surprise anymore(after the great opening in HoX/PoX). He loves symmetry too much, but it's probably true he still has a few more big beats in mind before the resolution.

Percy's X-Force and now Wolverine are great, consistently. Very surprising. His work feels like a good balance between Hickman's new ideas and more classical X-Men aspects. He does a great job with the interpersonal stuff, and sprinkles in enough action and interesting ideas(though the grotesque violence is unnecessary, even if they are hallmarks of X-Force and Wolverine's brand) to keep it fun.

The rest are under-performing. It's too bad Hickman's main ideas are being diluted. It will make this run inferior to his Fantastic Four and Avengers stuff.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I voted for Duggan. Marauders has continued to surprise me. The stakes seem higher than most if not all the other X-Books. The concept is new. The pacing is great. The story has surprises and feels like its building something and connected to Hickman's title. Easily my favorite book.

Hickman is second for me. His highs surpass the highs of Duggan, but is not as consistent.

I love the X-Force team, but the book is SO overrated.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

BANNED

Hickman is a fantastic editor/idea guy. Setting up Krakoa the way he has was a masterstroke. It's a compelling setting. However, I like Percy's application of the setting and use of the characters better by far. We definitely need both of them.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 03-21-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Hickman reminds me of Morrison in their priorities. I can enjoy them immensly and I can also feel frustrated with them. It seems the ideas takes precedence over the characters. It seems they have a less malleable voice that suits certain characters better theen others. If it's a consequence of focusing less on that part of writing or just a odd circumenstance I don't know. In general I would say that DoX is a better idea for mutants then it is for the X-men. As of now many characters are in a great spot and many are in a bad spot. That's what stopping this from becoming a truly awesome moment in X-men history.

Hickman needs writers that excell in dialouge, character work and in general just has different favorites than him. "Great works of fiction aren't written by commities, it takes a singeluar vision" Witch I, at least for this situation, agree with. Hickman doesn't need people that work like him. Let him handle the direction and let other writers do what he can't or doesn't want to do.

So that's why Percy and Duggan are doing better then others. They are adding things that Hickman aren't.

Excalibur is bad and it's sad since those characters doesn't appear in other books.

Hill was off to a terrible start. His decisions on pretty much all of the characters where a bad fit. I'm still looking for a book that uses Laura well so I can read it.

I think Hickman, Duggan, and Percy are the best writers. Ultimately I voted for Percy as I have enjoyed every issue of X-force. I do think Hickman is the best writer, but as others mentioned some of his characters feel off.
    I think Howard is a good writer. I really enjoyed Excalibur #1.

BANNED

Duggan is doing a good job too.

As for Tini, I don't dislike her personally or anything, but I don't really get her storytelling decisions. Who is her book for?

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Hickman's highs are great, but he does struggle with some of the X-Men characterizations and his preference for dark grey morality puts a strain on the more familial and fun core aspects of the franchise.f.
    Except...Hickman does not have a preference for dark grey morality, nor dislikilies the family and fun core aspects- the main evidence of it is his Fantastic Four run, and also his Avengers/NA run- the fact that the Illuminati chose the path of darkness and were punished by it..