0 0%
  • Ed Brisson (New Mutants)

1 1.15%
  • Gerry Duggan (Marauders)

12 13.79%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Hickman reminds me of Morrison in their priorities. I can enjoy them immensly and I can also feel frustrated with them. It seems the ideas takes precedence over the characters. It seems they have a less malleable voice that suits certain characters better theen others. If it's a consequence of focusing less on that part of writing or just a odd circumenstance I don't know. In general I would say that DoX is a better idea for mutants then it is for the X-men. As of now many characters are in a great spot and many are in a bad spot. That's what stopping this from becoming a truly awesome moment in X-men history.

Hickman needs writers that excell in dialouge, character work and in general just has different favorites than him. "Great works of fiction aren't written by commities, it takes a singeluar vision" Witch I, at least for this situation, agree with. Hickman doesn't need people that work like him. Let him handle the direction and let other writers do what he can't or doesn't want to do.

So that's why Percy and Duggan are doing better then others. They are adding things that Hickman aren't.

Excalibur is bad and it's sad since those characters doesn't appear in other books.

Hill was off to a terrible start. His decisions on pretty much all of the characters where a bad fit. I'm still looking for a book that uses Laura well so I can read it.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Hickman's highs are great, but he does struggle with some of the X-Men characterizations and his preference for dark grey morality puts a strain on the more familial and fun core aspects of the franchise. I do think his ideas are fascinating, but he's not as balanced as I would like. Having read his older Marvel works now, I see that those are deep trends, and I wonder if he can really surprise anymore(after the great opening in HoX/PoX). He loves symmetry too much, but it's probably true he still has a few more big beats in mind before the resolution.

Percy's X-Force and now Wolverine are great, consistently. Very surprising. His work feels like a good balance between Hickman's new ideas and more classical X-Men aspects. He does a great job with the interpersonal stuff, and sprinkles in enough action and interesting ideas(though the grotesque violence is unnecessary, even if they are hallmarks of X-Force and Wolverine's brand) to keep it fun.

The rest are under-performing. It's too bad Hickman's main ideas are being diluted. It will make this run inferior to his Fantastic Four and Avengers stuff.

These two points perfectly captures the only slight issues I have with Hickman's writing, and also highlights why X-force edges out X-men even tho I purchase both.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Hickman's highs are great, but he does struggle with some of the X-Men characterizations and his preference for dark grey morality puts a strain on the more familial and fun core aspects of the franchise.
    He is perfectly capable of putting the familial and fun core aspects of New Mutants, especially when it comes to Berto and Sam, before his complex morality preference.

Then again, Scott and Xavier have changed tremendously over the decades unlike Berto and Sam. When you put Magneto and Apocalypse front and centre with the first two, the tone will obviously steer away from 80's Claremontiana.

It's not Hickman's fault that he wants to focus on the founding fathers of Krakoa (though a case could be made that Jean and Storm are being robbed by not being allowed to play more primary roles in the DoX mythos) and set up new villains now that almost all of the traditional mutant rogues are off the board in the flagship book. It's more that the satellite books are not doing a great job highlighting Ororo, Bobby, Anna Marie, Remy, Jubilation, Kurt etc. Marauders is basically The Kitty and Emma Show (now just Emma), Excalibur is royally wasting its cast, and X-Force has always been the edgiest stepchild of the X-Franchise. Which is why the entire line seems lopsided.

Hopefully X-Factor helps alleviate these issue a little (even if it does not feature the aforementioned mutants). I don't have much faith in the direction of the other newly announced books, though I enjoyed Cable #1.