Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Default Red Hood Outlaw #44 Preview/Discussion

https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...ood-outlaw-44/

I'm really like the way this is going, and Pantalena is a great fit for this.

Good to know that Isabella is still "in there", so to speak, but what about Dog? Won't someone please think of Dog!? THE POOR PUPPY!

But Biz and Jason working a chili dog truck... I like it!

Poor Jason. No one chooses him XDD. I can relate.

Colours and art seem to have improve in this issue. Or, well, I think they look better, at least. Looking forward to it.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

"Normal life" with Isabel and Jason suggesting to Bizarro to quit Outlaws and to open a food truck (even if the page makes it seem like Jason is joking) makes me wonder if the original plan - when 5G was still a big thing - was to make the current Outlaws "retire".

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    "Normal life" with Isabel and Jason suggesting to Bizarro to quit Outlaws and to open a food truck (even if the page makes it seem like Jason is joking) makes me wonder if the original plan - when 5G was still a big thing - was to make the current Outlaws "retire".
    I wouldn't be against it. We all know it's not going to last, or meant to last too much; and it could bring to the table some nice stories or simple and plain plot elements in the future :3. A time to rest, a well-deserve time of peace, for contrast before the new crisis, or adventure, or mystery, or whatever strikes in a new run, that would be nice. And we all know people is interested in him to no be out of the books for long.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 03-21-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post

https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...ood-outlaw-44/

I'm really like the way this is going, and Pantalena is a great fit for this.
    Damn that smile on the bottom left is worthy of Joker

Fans like to imagine Jason in Coffee Shop AU, I never see fast food cart AU

The best part about having the same writer for years is supporting cast that can keep coming back. If Lobdell can give the Outlaws his own city, he can be Jason's Chuck Dixon

Ben Abernathy is now the only editor on RH:O. I wonder if this means something. And if it means something, does it mean something good? (I do like Jason in Unkillables.)

The title ... "The Unchosen One" - is that supposed to be Jason? I can't remember if Tynion called Jason "The chosen one" in his run but he definitely tried to make Jason appear this way. And I didn't like it. It undermined Jason's "hard worker"-type. But the unchosen one could also refer to Essence or someone else.

Essence and Isabel sharing one body could lead to some interesting story elements. They remind me a little bit of Launch from the Dragonball franchise right now. I do hope we'll see Essence and Isabel interact a little bit more.

General Grandpa likes to take the fun out of everything, doesn't he? And his microphone looks so old-fashioned - like the train last issue. I'm sensing a theme here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    Ben Abernathy is now the only editor on RH:O. I wonder if this means something. And if it means something, does it mean something good? (I do like Jason in Unkillables.)

The title ... "The Unchosen One" - is that supposed to be Jason? I can't remember if Tynion called Jason "The chosen one" in his run but he definitely tried to make Jason appear this way. And I didn't like it. It undermined Jason's "hard worker"-type. But the unchosen one could also refer to Essence or someone else.

Essence and Isabel sharing one body could lead to some interesting story elements. They remind me a little bit of Launch from the Dragonball franchise right now. I do hope we'll see Essence and Isabel interact a little bit more.

General Grandpa likes to take the fun out of everything, doesn't he? And his microphone looks so old-fashioned - like the train last issue. I'm sensing a theme here.
    Jason now (you can argue he was chosen by fate to fill the boots of Robin, with how Bruce found him) fits the Unchosen One trope, no matter how "chosen" Tynion made him in RHATO. And I think Lobdel doesn't like that trope either (the Chosen One, I mean), by how Jason himself said in issue... 38? 39? of this run that he wasn't no one chosen (about fulfilling his role for the All-Caste). It goes against his nature as an underdog character too, which is something readers like about him, because it's relatable and charming. Edit: I mean, he's also "the unchosen one" because there's always someone better and he's usually the second, third or last choice to pick.

The title could be a reference to Essence, but I think it also has a lot to do with Jason himself.

Edit: it's funny, that this is yet a shared trait with Tim.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 03-21-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Tynion absolutely treated to Jason as "Chosen one" during his run.

And Lobdell made clear what he thought of it during the Secret Origins story

This has been a major peeve of mine for a long while. People keep parroting the idea that Lobdell was the one who turned Jason into a "badass chosen one" that could bring balance to the light and lead the All Caste, when that was all Tynion's idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I wouldn't be against it. We all know it's not going to last, or meant to last too much; and it could bring to the table some nice stories or simple and plain plot elements in the future :3. A time to rest, a well-deserve time of peace, for contrast before the new crisis, or adventure, or mystery, or whatever strikes in a new run, that would be nice. And we all know people is interested in him to no be out of the books for long.
    I wouldn't be against it either. I'm down for Jason living his best stay-at-home dad life, or if the next story arcs are centered around the kids and Jason showing support and caring about them.
    They all seem like they have been through some **** and have met some bad people/organizations in their life. They all deserve some parental love.

Pretty fun and solid issue. Over time, I've come to realize that Lobdell's biggest weakness as a writer is pacing if he's allowed/asked to extend a story beyond 3-4 issues, is when everything starts to meander and fizz out. Since it seems this story with the Untitled has pretty well defined, let's call them, "chapters" the story is still focused and while having a quick pace, doesn't feel rushed yet. If the series truly is coming to an end soon, I hope this time Lobdell is allowed to end the book on his own terms instead of scrambling to fit the new status quo as it happened with the first RHATO Volume or RH/Arsenal. Pantalena, on the other hand, does a wonderful job illustrating this issue. His pencils while certainly not on the same level as Rocafort's are close enough to bring him to mind and are, in my opinion, the best the books has looked in a while. Hopefully, he will stick through the remainder of the arc.

As for the plot, it continues with the set up, by placing everyone where they must be while shedding a bit more light on Jason's time with the All Caste (once again confirming Lobdell is ignoring Tynion's nonsense) with a very surprising reveal about Ma Gunn that I did not see coming at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Pretty fun and solid issue. Over time, I've come to realize that Lobdell's biggest weakness as a writer is pacing if he's allowed/asked to extend a story beyond 3-4 issues, is when everything starts to meander and fizz out. Since it seems this story with the Untitled has pretty well defined, let's call them, "chapters" the story is still focused and while having a quick pace, doesn't feel rushed yet. If the series truly is coming to an end soon, I hope this time Lobdell is allowed to end the book on his own terms instead of scrambling to fit the new status quo as it happened with the first RHATO Volume or RH/Arsenal. Pantalena, on the other hand, does a wonderful job illustrating this issue. His pencils while certainly not on the same level as Rocafort's are close enough to bring him to mind and are, in my opinion, the best the books has looked in a while. Hopefully, he will stick through the remainder of the arc.

As for the plot, it continues with the set up, by placing everyone where they must be while shedding a bit more light on Jason's time with the All Caste (once again confirming Lobdell is ignoring Tynion's nonsense) with a very surprising reveal about Ma Gunn that I did not see coming at all.
    spoilers:
    Did Ma Gunn just hint at Brain, of all people, being Jason's grandpa!? That's quite a turn, if true. But still curious as to who Willis' sibling is.
    end of spoilers

But an overall fun issue, to be sure.

I liked it fine. Art was way better than in the first issue by Pantalena, imho. And it's clear now that they're trying to imitate Rocafort style, which is logical, for the sake of giving the current trades after woods some sense of cohesion. I don't like how the characters seem crudely chiselled, but it's just my taste.

spoilers:
    I don't think they're hinting that @jackal. I think they just end their partnership at odds because she tried to raise over him. But it could be as well, that The Brain is the grandpa, I don't know. In any case, it's likely someone involved with the brotherhood somehow now, I guess.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Zaresh; 03-25-2020 at 12:54 PM.

Yeah, I don't think he's spoilers:
    the grandfather since Willis said Jason was named after his grandfather. Faye and him might have a romantic history though and maybe the sibling is the one related to him.
    end of spoilers