Page 72 of 156 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 2338

It remains to be seen if it's temporary up or not for all we know it will go right back down in a few months personally I don't think it's doom and gloom but I also don't think it's magically going to go back to normal like nothing happened.
    Last edited by choptop; 04-13-2021 at 03:31 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    For some actual perspective...

A few hundred theaters in a single state will be closing.

There is nothing that actually points to that it will be any more than that.
    300 screens probably a few dozen theaters

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    What is in blue -

That is your belief. Plenty of things point away from something like that actually coming to pass.

As for what is in green? -

Politely, you are simply incorrect.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/a...le-1234920558/

That some of the chains that were in a weaker economic position will(and already had...) not make it out the other side.

There were absolutely things that pointed to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That's not good evidence. We all knew a year without big blockbusters were going to put some theaters and chains out of business. That's not the same thing as an end to the theatrical experience. After covid someone's going to buy up the theaters that didn't survive and reopen them. We all said as much. So...how does it happening show that the sky is falling?
    You guys been asking me where my evidence, it came yesterday and you guys still can’t accept it.
    This is the beginning of the end of movie theaters as we know it. Bigger chains like AMC, Regal and Cinemark won’t entirely go out of business, but they will close a lot of their theaters.
    I don’t like this either, I love going to the movie theater, but I have accepted the reality of the situation. Theaters can’t survive on blockbusters alone unless there are significant cutbacks.
    Where I live there are four AMC Multiplexs within ten mile plus other theaters, this is not financially sustainable in our post-covid environment.

So I guess Mortal Kombat takes place during COVID.

(joke)
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    You guys been asking me where my evidence, it came yesterday and you guys still can’t accept it.
    This is the beginning of the end of movie theaters as we know it. Bigger chains like AMC, Regal and Cinemark won’t entirely go out of business, but they will close a lot of their theaters.
    I don’t like this either, I love going to the movie theater, but I have accepted the reality of the situation. Theaters can’t survive on blockbusters alone unless there are significant cutbacks.
    Where I live there are four AMC Multiplexs within ten mile plus other theaters, this is not financially sustainable in our post-covid environment.
    To put it simply, folks are not accepting what you are asserting because the very small bit of evidence that you actually have does not point to something as big as what is in blue actually coming to pass.

It actually points to that some smaller chains probably don't come out the other side of this.

That is not proof of anything bigger than that.

Past that...

It's tough to take it seriously when someone is talking about "Our Post-Covid Environment..." when we are still right in the middle of Covid.

We will actually know what that looks like once Covid is largely in the rear mirror. Which certainly is not now.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    It remains to be seen if it's temporary up or not for all we know it will go right back down in a few months personally I don't think it's doom and gloom but I also don't think it's magically going to go back to normal like nothing happened.
    The only reason it'd go down is if covid gets worse. Let's pray that doesn't happen.

Because your "evidence" was an expected and predicted outcome that in no way supports your actual claim. As I said, we knew some theaters wouldn't survive so long without big movies. We also knew, and there is evidence now to support this, that attendance would bounce back after covid to bring the industry back. Those dead theaters will reopen with new owners.
    Also, why can't theaters survive on blockbusters alone? Blockbusters draw in huge crowds, tons of cash, and in non-covid years there's more than enough blockbusters to sustain them. In fact, pre-covid, theaters were thriving on blockbusters! How can you thrive for years on blockbusters, and yet it inevitably can't let you survive? That makes no sense..
    And finally, not financially sustainable post-covid? We're still in covid!

Mighty Member

When all the theaters can be open 7 days a week then we can talk about normal conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Well, it's not much, but it's sort of the first to do so since the pandemic started. We haven't seen profits since the first shut-down I think...

As for drafthouse they said they will make it and were getting help to keep going. They also got $60m to help stay afloat.

This is what I been saying all along, this is the first shoe to drop. I was hoping I was wrong, but apparently not. Hollywood is not making enough blockbusters movies for theaters to survive. I expect other theaters chains will shutdown some or maybe all of their of their sites. The way we watch movies has been changing for years and covid just aggravated the problem.
    My first thought was "who?". Had to look them up. Turns out they are two chains owned by the same group that are up north (main area is la) with only 300 theatres only in america and one is a high class price so most normal folks don't go there anyways as they are high price and 95% of america has never heard of them!

Movie news also said other theatre chains are aready after the theatres they were at including that big dome one and that there may be a bidding war over it between the theatres.

So a up north theatre chain thats high class that most never heard of and only 300 theatres that are aready getting grabbed by other theatres mark the end of movies?

Don't see it. Now if regal goes under then that's a bad sign.

Well, it's not much, but it's sort of the first to do so since the pandemic started. We haven't seen profits since the first shut-down I think...
    Croods 2 did well also. Overseas had some big hits also.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 04-13-2021 at 04:39 PM.

Mighty Member

As for drafthouse they said they will make it and were getting help to keep going. They also got $60m to help stay afloat.

My first thought was "who?". Had to look them up. Turns out they are two chains owned by the same group that are up north (main area is la) with only 300 theatres only in america and one is a high class price so most normal folks don't go there anyways as they are high price and 95% of america has never heard of them!

Movie news also said other theatre chains are aready after the theatres they were at including that big dome one and that there may be a bidding war over it between the theatres.

So a up north theatre chain thats high class that most never heard of and only 300 theatres that are aready getting grabbed by other theatres mark the end of movies?

Not 300 theaters 300 screens. If their average theatre has 10 screens then that would be 30 theaters. And the twothey mentioned in the story had 18 and 14 screens so it could be a lot less than 30.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    What's impressive is there are still countries (like most of Europe) that are completely locked down and not showing it, and Japan doesn't debut until May and we know they have reasons to show up.

Croods 2 did well also.
    Yeah but had a much lower budget. GvK would be the first big bucks blockbuster to pull it off.

Croods 2 did well also. Overseas had some big hits also.
    I forgot Croods was even a thing, my bad.