Page 8 of 156 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavi...241493126.html

Multiple suicide prevention hotlines are reporting large increases in call already.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    BS, suicide rates are known to go up in hard economic times. And talk about numbers that 100,000 is for the total not the next few weeks so check your own damn numbers.
    I'm not arguing that suicide rates won't go up. And I am saying in the next few weeks they expect the numbers to hit 100,000+. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

But at what point is the "cure" worse than the disease? Where's your math to back that up? Are they expecting suicides through April to exceed the number of Covid related deaths? Because if not, then no, the cure isn't worse than the disease.

Are they expecting suicides to exceed the POSSIBLE Covid related deaths if we just do nothing? Because, again, if not, then the cure isn't worse than the disease.

The cure might get boring, and be incredibly frustrating for some, but it isn't worse than the disease.

Mighty Member

https://digitalcommons.bryant.edu/cg...nors_economics

Go to the paragraph just under page 14 of this 2014 study. 21 more suicides per 100,000 people for every 1% rise in the unemployment rate. With 330 million people that comes out to 69,300 more suicides for every 1% rise in unemployment. Which is a lot worse than I thought to be honest. That is an annualized rate of course but you see the longer this goes on the worse things will be. And that doesn’t even take in consideration these people panicking about the virus which are an unknown additional factor.

At least Trump is now taking things seriously.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    This is one case where the phrase "better late than never" is not necessarily true.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    https://digitalcommons.bryant.edu/cg...nors_economics

Go to the paragraph just under page 14 of this 2014 study. 21 more suicides per 100,000 people for every 1% rise in the unemployment rate. With 330 million people that comes out to 69,300 more suicides for every 1% rise in unemployment. Which is a lot worse than I thought to be honest. That is an annualized rate of course but you see the longer this goes on the worse things will be. And that doesn’t even take in consideration these people panicking about the virus which are an unknown additional factor.
    Well those are some pretty tragic numbers. Thankfully a lot of the "unemployment" such as mine is, for now, temporary. So, I'd imagine we can cut those numbers back a little bit. Hopefully.

If only that was true.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

But he is still a narcissistic, corrupt, incompetent idiot.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Cutting people off from health care in the middle of a WORLDWIDE PANDEMIC is taking things seriously?

What planet do you live on, because I’d like to move there.

New movie dates.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/top-gun...ay-1202898738/

Top gun 2 will now be out December 23rd the same day as the croods 2, the live action tom and jerry, coming to America 2, west side story and dune!

Good luck top gun!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    New movie dates.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/top-gun...ay-1202898738/

Top gun 2 will now be out December 23rd the same day as the croods 2, the live action tom and jerry, coming to America 2, west side story and dune!

Good luck top gun!
    Doesn't really seem like that big of competition honestly.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Doesn't really seem like that big of competition honestly.
    Tom and Jerry might be a sleeper.

Retired

Really, I think that Disney should have held onto NEW MUTANTS as their canary in the coal mine. Release it when theatres open again to test the response. If it fails, that's not much of a loss, but as the first movie it could actually do a lot better. Either way, Disney has tested the waters, without risking one of their major releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Tom and Jerry might be a sleeper.
    Live action cartoons like that are really hit and miss I'd put my money on croods 2 or maybe dune?

Christmas weekend tends to do well for family films.

Tom and jerry at least in the promo pictures at least look like tom and jerry and not that scary yogi cg. As for how it does that's up to the trailers. Tom and jerry is still popular with dtv films out every year.

Croods is on Netflix and hulu so kids can see it so not sure how well it will do. Netflix has a out of canon croods tv show also.

Coming to America 2 and top gun 2 are 80s follow ups that young adults may have never heard of or seen. They will get the gen x kids like me but need to snag the new young adults who never saw the first one. If t2 and bad boys 3 can do it then they can. Then again shining 2 and dumb and dumber 3 failed so it could go both ways!

West side story is a steven Spielberg film but his films have been hit or miss at the box office as of late.

Dune has a lot of big name stars but how well will it do?

To me croods 2 and tom and jerry have a big advantage with it being around Christmas but who knows who will win this? Top gun does feel more like a summer film as well.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 04-03-2020 at 06:51 AM.