Page 60 of 156 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Dan has already been on-point in his analysis. He’s one of the few You Tubers with a firm understanding on how the business works.
    Yep that was spot on. A lot of what he is talking about from the business and goverment's side is more of the "too big to fail" mentality. Just writ differently. Don't want to let the masses have to much power because then they are revolting!

Theatres set their own economy to a large extent, too. If the movie industry wants streaming to fail or wants theatres to return, then we will see sudden rules to essentially subsidize the theatre experience.

The big thing that is coming out, to me, is that a lot of technophobes and people who would have never streamed before are suddenly streaming. So the real question is whether or not they will embrace the theatre experience again. Its not like before where a smaller percentage of the population were stream-waiting stuff.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 02-04-2021 at 03:20 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

China Box Office Hits Huge $775 Million Holiday Weekend, Led by $424 Million ‘Detective Chinatown’ Debut

Detective Chinatown not only beat Avengers Endgame’s opening weekend gross in the market, it now has the biggest opening weekend in history. Some see this as a potential indicator for a future rebound of cinemas all across the world. China handled the virus more effectively than most countries because they had stricter lockdowns regulations that incur major consequences if they were violated. Their movie market has recovered for the most part though theaters still at lesser capacity than did pre-pandemic.

I see this as fairly encouraging news. I don’t necessarily know if China’s box office recovering automatically means the US or the other territories will as well. However, it’s nice to see a move breaking records during this time when so few theaters open right now.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-15-2021 at 10:56 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Now it's up to $1.2b!

The Chinese New Year box office achieved yet another milestone Wednesday, with grosses for the holiday period growing to an estimated RMB 7.78 billion ($1.2 billion). This beats the previous all-time high set during the comparable 2019 holiday (RMB 5.9B). China often outdoes itself, but the fact that 2021’s Lunar New Year frame came with Covid capacity restrictions makes the performance even more staggering.

Factors working in the session’s favor included a diverse slate of seven new local titles (including two powerhouses at the top), as well as increased ticket prices in some areas, additional screens versus 2019 and a reduction in travel which made moviegoing the first-choice activity for people who were not journeying to see family as would normally be the case during the holiday.

“What China is showing is that where the virus is under control and people feel safe, they’re coming back (to cinemas) in droves.” We’ve seen some similar phenomena in Korea and Japan, although with more Covid ebbs and flows affecting momentum.
    https://deadline.com/2021/02/chinese...id-1234695261/

Cnbc says with china (and japan) shows americans will return to the movies.

They should have known that from croods 2 making back it's budget!

Also they say japan, korea and china moviegoers "feel safe" going to the movies again.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/16/imax...ox-office.html

NYC Movie Theaters Can Reopen At 25% Capacity On March 5th

Should be interesting to see what happens. Personally I want to get both vaccines and see a COVID rate of under 2% before I go to a movie.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Fingers crossed things work out okay but I’m not going back until I’m fully vaccinated, and the rates drastically goes down.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-22-2021 at 05:38 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Tom and jerry made $4m on friday and heading for $12.5m. Second best in america behind croods 2.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/tom-jer...ic-1234702484/

Went with my niece to see it in theatres. (first time in theatres in over a year and a half!) They did a great job with safety. (rows skipped, only groups near each other, masks, etc.)

The place was packed! I was shocked how many people were there Even at half full the tom and jerry showing was packed!

As for tom and jerry, it was fun. Not roger rabbit good but still a fun family film. Some fun parts and the main human girl is really likeble.

There were people laughing at our showing and kids getting excited at the big climax!

So for me it's not bad. Not pixar level; but fun waste of a afternoon.

It does show people will go back to the movies! At least here in our city!

Peter rabbit has moved again! It's moved to a month early! Looks like tom and jerry started things rolling.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=58118f3b702a

Its really odd tom and Jerry made any money at all that movie was horrible.

Wonder how raya will do?

Eh, I'm still thinking it's a bit early for theaters - most people haven't been vaccinated yet. But as long as they try and follow the rules and all. I definitely see theaters making a comeback after this is all finally over.

I don't know if it will end theatrical movies but I sure as hell have no desire to go back to a movie theater still. A friend of mine who is a HUGE movie buff has been back to the theater but he mostly goes alone and to weekday showings where he is one of the few people actually in the theater.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I went to a movie a few weeks back. It was an indie movie that I was confident would not command a large crowd and my wife and I chose to go at a really weird time. It was us and like two other small groups in a very large theater with at least a row separating each of us. I honestly felt way safer there than I do at work or grocery shopping. While we are not planning on making this a regular thing and it will certainly be a while before I feel confident going to a "blockbuster," I know I can keep going to my art house movies, which is nice.

Let's see what happens in Texas, the idiot Governor has allowed 100% capacity in theaters with no masks. I wonder if the theaters will actually do this. And if so, will people pack themselves into a theater?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

Isn't everyone in the U.S.A. ready to sue companies at the drop of a hat? I would think theatres want to avoid lawsuits from customers exposed to the virus--no matter what some governor says.