Page 1 of 156 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default Will COVID-19 end theatrical movies

People will not be going to movie theaters for a long time. It might be 5 to 6 months before theaters open again. In the meantime they will be getting their movie entertainment at home, from cable and streaming new films. I see one of three possibilities. 1) It all goes back to normal, with the number of movies and attendance back to pre-virus numbers. 2) People learn a different behavior and prefer to watch things at home, dropping the attendance at Cinemas. or 3) There is a great pent up demand, and people flock to the theater when this is over.
    Other factors are how many theaters are left in business and how many people have jobs to afford to buy a ticket.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Drive in sales have skyrocketed.

At the very least, in the short term, yes.

I don't think anyone know how this is going to shake out long term, for any industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Drive in sales have skyrocketed.
    Great, there are a little over 300 of them, and none in the city centers where the bulk of the regular theaters are. There are over 4000 theaters and 50,000 screens in the US. It's nice for them but meaningless to box office.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

Is it responsible to encourage people to go to the drive-in? If I remember my 1950s tropes right, that's where all the teens would go to party, get high and have sex. A human petri dish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Is it responsible to encourage people to go to the drive-in? If I remember my 1950s tropes right, that's where all the teens would go to party, get high and have sex. A human petri dish.
    The tropes are probably pretty far from the truth. Frankly, we should absolutely encourage people to go to the drive in. It allows a perfect blend of community engagement with social distancing.

Because those teens wouldn't hook up if they weren't at the Drive-In?

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    At the very least, in the short term, yes.

I don't think anyone know how this is going to shake out long term, for any industry.
    Yep. Though, I believe the theater industry will make a comeback, but maybe just not in a way we're expecting. Part of the appeal of seeing movies in a theater is the community-aspect in it, being able to share the experience with a lot of other people.

I really enjoyed Infinity War and Endgame, but I'm sure a huge chunk of that enjoyment came from everyone's collective reactions altogether during the best parts of the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Because those teens wouldn't hook up if they weren't at the Drive-In?
    Wherever there's a will, there's a way.

Life... finds a way.

I'm pretty sure Jim was making a joke...

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I'm pretty sure Jim was making a joke...
    I wasn't. Teens gonna sex! (and it is natural and what they were programmed to do)

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Unless someone finds a miracle cure, I think theater attendance will be very low (even if the theaters re-open at some point) until a vaccine is available and this pandemic is in the rearview mirror. Then I think there will be a huge pent-up demand. Assuming that the economy doesn't collapse completely and nobody has jobs anymore.

Great, there are a little over 300 of them, and none in the city centers where the bulk of the regular theaters are. There are over 4000 theaters and 50,000 screens in the US. It's nice for them but meaningless to box office.
    There is one near us but have no plans to go to it. Also what box office? No new releases and many movies places are shutting down or making it 40 people only.

Indeed. An android once told me that cars and drive-ins were primary ingredients in teenaged mating rituals.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Yep. Though, I believe the theater industry will make a comeback, but maybe just not in a way we're expecting. Part of the appeal of seeing movies in a theater is the community-aspect in it, being able to share the experience with a lot of other people.
    Is that actually true? Because I hate sharing the theater with other people. Movies to me are best seen alone, and the reason I go to the theater is because of the huge ass screen and not wanting to wait for it to be available on home video. I just want to know if I'm in the minority or not here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Is that actually true? Because I hate sharing the theater with other people. Movies to me are best seen alone, and the reason I go to the theater is because of the huge ass screen and not wanting to wait for it to be available on home video. I just want to know if I'm in the minority or not here.
    Yeah I like it when I'm one of the few people there if not the only one there. Though that means the movie is bombing...