Page 81 of 156 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 2338

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Watching any sport at a stadium is always better than tv, because you can see things that you can’t see on tv. When I go to a sporting event I love to see the whole field or court, can’t get this on tv.
    The James Gang tunes in Three From Hell cranking on a set of theater-sized speakers?

I cannot get that on a tv.

I think Covid sped up the inevitable fate of theaters being the only way to watch films on screen.

BANNED

Apple and oranges. Sports and even concerts aren’t the same as movies. Sports and concerts are live events, so there no waiting 45 days. Movies are not live, the same movie in the theaters will be the same exact movie 45 days later watching at home.
    I wonder if you can get a glimmer now why your entire argument so easily falls to pieces?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    From page 77...

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/No...1)#tab=summary

If you have made almost three times your budget?

You made a profit.

There is no valid case for that you did not.
    Even Sony's horror movie The Unholy is already at almost 2.5 times its production budget and unlike Nobody doesn't even have the benefit of a great reviews consensus.

In this particular case I noticed part of it is that The Unholy has dropped less than 50% every weekend it's been out in North America.

It's already been brought up before Godzilla vs Kong had weekend to weekend drops not uncommon for its type of blockbuster. The opening numbers are lower than some past installments (for a very understandable reason) but in other markets the movie has made more than the previous ones, lifetime.

So it's wrong studios are losing money by default every time a new movie is out. Or that people aren't checking in every weekend in general (the kind of people who would normally check a Guy Ritchie flick did last week).
    Last edited by Wildling; 05-14-2021 at 05:02 PM.

But these 3 studios are the ones who is leading the demise of theaters. Disney has already announced they are cutting the theatrical window from 90 days to only 45 days, this is another nail in the coffin to theaters.
    For the present pandemic era! You think that window is still going to be 45 days after covid's no longer the reigning factor over all our lives?

To start, I agree there will always be a market for theatrical movies. The question is to what capacity. Now to the nitty gritty, you say blockbusters make 2000% of profit (which is mathematically impossible). If that was true, why are non blockbuster movies in theaters at all? My point is if blockbusters alone as you say make 2000% profit there would no good reason for theaters to show smaller movies. The fact they do show smaller movies means theaters need these movies to also make profit.
    Smaller movies ain’t making profit these days. Because of covid even some blockbusters will not get the audience it normally would get. We will see blockbusters do normal business the opening weekend, but will fall off faster than normal, because there is enough people who will still be apprehensive about going back to the movie theaters. That why Disney is cutting short its theatrical window to only 45 days and I expect the other studios will follow suit.
    Because, during non-pandemic eras, while those non-blockbuster movies are the smallest part of their profits, it's still profit. It garners them money between blockbusters. Even if they don't need it to survive, it's a bad, bad, bad business that decides to turn away more money.

The problem with the 45 days is it will turn into 30 days.
    30 days will turn into 15 days.
    15 days will turn into 7 days.
    Then 7 days will turn into 0 days.
    I don’t trust the studios, they are slowing but surely destroying in the movie theaters right in front of our eyes.
    ...why on earth do you think it will go down this way? Because of actions they're taking in a pandemic?

BANNED

From page 77...

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/No...1)#tab=summary

If you have made almost three times your budget?

You made a profit.

There is no valid case for that you did not.
    Again, you have to look at overall box office, not just one or two movies. When I say not making a profit, I’m not talking the studios, I’m talking about the theaters. Smaller movie don’t have the attendance anymore to benefit the theaters even though some of these movies made profit for the studios. Theaters make most of there profit by overpriced popcorn, candy and soda, unfortunately for theaters not enough people are coming back.
    Theater need people in the seats, no matter what the budget is of a particular movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    ...why on earth do you think it will go down this way? Because of actions they're taking in a pandemic?
    Do you seriously think the studios are doing this just because of the pandemic?
    Last edited by luprki; 05-14-2021 at 07:14 PM.

Do you seriously think the studios are doing this just because of the pandemic?
    Do you seriously think the pandemic hasn't been the driving force of most things for the past year and a half?

Again, you have to look at overall box office, not just one or two movies. When I say not making a profit, I’m not talking the studios, I’m talking about the theaters. Smaller movie don’t have the attendance anymore to benefit the theaters even though some of these movies made profit for the studios. Theaters make most of there profit by overpriced popcorn, candy and soda, unfortunately for theaters not enough people are coming back.
    Theater need people in the seats, no matter what the budget is of a particular movie.

"The Movie Made Money, But No One Bought A Ticket..."

Seriously?

Is there anything even remotely like actual numbers that point to anything like what you are asserting actually being the case?

The problem with the 45 days is it will turn into 30 days.
    30 days will turn into 15 days.
    15 days will turn into 7 days.
    Then 7 days will turn into 0 days.
    I don’t trust the studios, they are slowing but surely destroying in the movie theaters right in front of our eyes.

Straight talk...

How long did it actually take for ninety to go to forty-five?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Do you seriously think the pandemic hasn't been the driving force of most things for the past year and a half?
    The movement towards streaming started pre covid. Covid just aggravated it.

"The Movie Made Money, But No One Bought A Ticket..."

Seriously?

Is there anything even remotely like actual numbers that point to anything like what you are asserting actually being the case?
    Theaters need butt in the seats, whether to movie makes profit for a studio or not. Present day overall box office is not giving the numbers it need to stay in business.

Straight talk...

How long did it actually take for ninety to go to forty-five?
    Before the Disney+, HBOMax, Peacock and Paramount+ age, a long time. In the present streaming age, 6 months to a year.
    Last edited by luprki; 05-14-2021 at 11:04 PM.

Astonishing Member

And by current signs is reversing to normalcy. Domestic moviegoing is increasing to at times pre-pandemic levels without the pandemic being over and with streaming playing spoiler. You don't seem to care about overseas box office but studios do, as a business they care about getting more money rather than less money.

Theaters need butt in the seats, whether to movie makes profit for a studio or not. Present day overall box office is not giving the numbers it need to stay in business.
    We know you don't care enough about theaters if fact-checking about how many weekends GvK had been out was beneath you, but again, where are your numbers?

Before the Disney+, HBOMax, Peacock and Paramount+ age, a long time, in the present streaming age 6 months to a year.
    Your calling of the current industry status being a whole new age, regardless of it being tied to a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic circumstance with no definite timeline for that to end that many people are pushing to get out of, and that forced the industry to make deals that weren't a thing over a year ago, is starting to sound downright callous at this point.
    Last edited by Wildling; 05-14-2021 at 11:24 PM.

You're saying movement as if people were fleeing the theaters, when really most evidence suggests people were fleeing satellite/cable and largely still choosing to go to the theater. Yes, there might've been a slight dip as those who were going to choose streaming over all else did so, but everything was pointing that streaming and theaters would co-exist just fine before covid hit.

Here's the thing...

While someone could keep on repeating that?

First, theaters(with a couple of exceptions...) are staying in business right now.

Second, we have right around "Zero..." reason to believe that "Present Day..." overall box office is a static number that will not increase as everything opens back up.

Third, I noticed there wasn't much in the way of actual numbers there. If we know something like Nobody made almost three times it's budget? I'm going to need to see some hard numbers on exactly how it did so without there being "Butts In Seats..." just to even think over if anything like an actual issue exists.