Page 82 of 156 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 2338

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    For the present pandemic era! You think that window is still going to be 45 days after covid's no longer the reigning factor over all our lives?
    While I'm overall with you I do not think the exclusive window will ever go back to 90 days again. But I do believe enough people will still want to experience the movies in a theater despite having the option to watch them at home in 45 days.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    While I'm overall with you I do not think the exclusive window will ever go back to 90 days again. But I do believe enough people will still want to experience the movies in a theater despite having the option to watch them at home in 45 days.
    There's 45 days between 45 and 90. I can see them renegotiating the window to somewhere between 55 - 70 days easily, post pandemic.

Deadline has made this comment--

On the upside, Spiral‘s expected opening is higher than Wrath of Man‘s opening weekend of $8.3M, so it’s a sign that there’s some pulse at the domestic B.O. At the same time Spiral‘s underperformance is attributed to many factors, i.e. everything is finally reopening, especially here in California, as the pandemic clicks down. People are distracted with proms and school year-end activities. It’s not that moviegoing is facing stiff competition as we ramp back up. But people are only going to make time for those movies they feel they can’t miss out on. As studios experiment with distribution models and severely collapsing windows, they may want to think about that. When you offer movies in theatres and in the home simultaneously, you make the product less than exclusive, significantly less than premium.
    https://deadline.com/2021/05/spiral-...er-1234757348/

BANNED

Yet another disastrous weekend at the box office. Second weekend in a role where the number one movie came in under $9 million. Spiral was expect to open at $15 million, but only got to $8.7 million. Without a blockbuster, the box office is technically nonexistent. Even blockbusters are struggling, GvK in North America still haven’t reach $100 million after 7 weeks, a mark it would normally make after 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Yet another disastrous weekend at the box office. Second weekend in a role where the number one movie came in under $9 million. Spiral was expect to open at $15 million, but only got to $8.7 million. Without a blockbuster, the box office is technically nonexistent. Even blockbusters are struggling, GvK in North America still haven’t reach $100 million after 7 weeks, a mark it would normally make after 2 weeks.
    And the pandemic is ongoing - and while restrictions are easing many people are doing other things they've been denied like sports and dining.

BANNED

And the pandemic is ongoing - and while restrictions are easing many people are doing other things they've been denied like sports and dining.
    Even with the ongoing pandemic, theaters and studios didn’t expect the overall box office to perform this awful. If they knew the box office was going to be this bad the studios wouldn’t have wasted money putting these movies in theaters and the theaters wouldn’t have wasted money opening at all.
    People have always went to sports and dining that never hurt movie theaters, I don’t see your point.
    You are actually making my point, we have been denied going to movie theaters too, but not a lot people are rushing back to the theaters like they are sports and dining. Because of streaming and a shorten theatrical window, movie theaters are becoming obsolete and have been for awhile.
    Last edited by luprki; 05-16-2021 at 10:48 PM.

Even with the ongoing pandemic, theaters and studios didn’t expect the overall box office to perform this awful. If they knew the box office was going to be this bad the studios wouldn’t have wasted money putting these movies in theaters and the theaters wouldn’t have wasted money opening at all.
    People have always went to sports and dining that never hurt movie theaters, I don’t see your point.
    After nearly a year of not releasing any movies? They kind of have to release and take whatever profits that they can. And some of these films are getting profits, enough for theaters to survive the slow return to normalcy.

And the point you don't see is this is a slow crawl out of an ongoing pandemic. Yes, those activities never hurt theaters before, but we've never been in a pandemic like the before (unless you're over a hundred years old).

It's not really "Another..." when we've gone over why the last few weeks were not really the disasters that you've been trying to frame them as.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    It's not really "Another..." when we've gone over why the last few weeks were not really the disasters that you've been trying to frame them as.
    It's like he lives in another world where the pandemic isn't happening, theaters are these small and vulnerable mom and pop joints the hipster kids all visit to see low budget indie fare, and theaters are dying now because those hipster kids have all of a sudden discovered this new "Netflix" thing just this past couple years.
    Holy ****, luprki is a Slider!

As for that?

It was the "High..." end of what was actually a ten to fifteen million dollar potential opening.

If you are coming in at just a little bit more than a million under what the low end was?

It's a disappointment, but it is anything but "Disastrous..."

Also worth taking a page out of the history books for a bit of context...

https://1428elm.com/2017/10/28/jigsa...eries-history/

Jigsaw opening weekend numbers lowest in Saw series history

Astonishing Member

It's like he lives in another world where the pandemic isn't happening, theaters are these small and vulnerable mom and pop joints the hipster kids all visit to see low budget indie fare, and theaters are dying now because those hipster kids have all of a sudden discovered this new "Netflix" thing just this past couple years.
    Holy ****, luprki is a Slider!
    I've noticed luprki can bother to check what a new Saw movie was expected to debut box office wise in order to talk about how it disappointed today for the sake of his own argument, while not bothering to notice how Wrath of Man compared to pre-pandemic Guy Ritchie releases, not to mention not bother to count how many weekends the last Monsterverse was out in the first place before blabbing out about HBO Max.

At this point I'd claim it's a vision from googles beneath a bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    As for that?

It was the "High..." end of what was actually a ten to fifteen million dollar potential opening.

If you are coming in at just a little bit more than a million under what the low end was?

It's a disappointment, but it is anything but "Disastrous..."
    And I wouldn't really bring up a Saw movie today about the future of theatrical releases. They look like always rotten in RT (even the first one who introduced the whole concept) but the franchise will still gross a billion bucks while costing studio pocket lint money to make. What works for them works.
    Last edited by Wildling; 05-16-2021 at 11:51 PM.

That's interesting. When Wrath of Man more than doubled its predicted opening of 3.7 million (https://www.the-numbers.com/news/249...at-leading-duo) you didn't mention that. Didn't suit your argument I guess.

All these movies like Spiral, Wrath of Man, et cetera would hardly do better in pre-pandemic times, those films just aren't big box office draws. GvK on the other hand is a success, no matter how much you try to paint it as a failure, even more so as it was simultaneously released on HBO Max without an extra fee. It still already made more money worldwide than its predecessor and it yet has to start in markets like UK and France where theaters will open this week.

People will go to the theaters when they show movies that draw people to theaters. I get it that your point of view is very US-centric but if you looked at other markets you'd realize that people go to theaters much like before as long as they show attractive movies. In Japan Demon Slayer recently became the most successful movie of all time, in China there were multiple big hits in the last couple of months. That said, F9 will start in China this weekend and judging by advanced sales it'll be pretty huge. Not that it'll matter to you.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

It does not make much sense to talk about success or failure current box office. The CDC just removed the mask recommendation and the vaccination program is expanding but we obviously know that the movie market has not recovered yet, It will take months and even years to recover from this period BUT things are trending up for them. But the one thing that is very clear is the worst-case scenario isn't happening which is Disney and WB walking out of the pandemic period without a same-day plan which means for the most part movie industry is safe. For the industry to change one of the big studios would have to commit to same-day movie in some form.

The biggest damage is 45 day window and one these days it might come down but it is not going to be any time soon. I still think the movie industry is huge trouble long haul but you have to blind not notice that things are stabilizing. I have always predicted if certain thing happens then it will cause a reaction that will great change the business. Those things aren't happening so the movie industry stabilizing back to something to familiar. Now that said long term they are still some issues and things look at as a person who said Movies theaters COULD fail in this period it is pretty crazy to keep saying it is definitely dying over and over I mean other slow death that has been gradually happening of course.

I still think big companies are starting to transition away from movie theaters being their biggest part of the pie but it is clear as day that is going to be way slower transition now

BANNED

What everybody fail to mention is this trend toward streaming started before the pandemic. Disney has already reorganized their company to focus on streaming. AT&T is spinning off Warner Media with a merger with Discovery to create a streaming giant.
    Steaming provides a way for the big studios to get around the 1948 United States v Paramount anti-trust ruling. Studios will again have total control over exhibition of the products without dealing with a middle man. Unfortunately this is the future, I don’t like it either. I hope all of y’all are right, but the studios are going to get their way. What we all are missing is, it doesn’t matter how the box office performs. Technology has giving the studios a way out of this love/hate relationship with theaters.
    That’s why I’m very pessimistic about the future of movie theaters.
    Last edited by luprki; 05-17-2021 at 10:54 AM.