Page 112 of 156 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 2338
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    And the answer to the original question is for me, we still don't know.
    I think we saw streaming being strong during COVID, but I for one did not see the Studios having their own services compete with the theaters to this extent after they opened. Same day releases, especially HBOMax's, with no premium, will have an impact.
    Will the Studios pull back on this to help the B O? Or will they push streaming further into growing that platform?
    I think BW and Bond will be indicators.
    All I know is nobody was seriously talking about streaming replacing theaters before the pandemic, only that it would be giving us product beyond the normal theatrical fare. Let's get back to normal first before we start writing obituaries. IOW, I agree with you.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Actors are people just like us, they will take whatever paycheck is available in their craft. The business is not numero uno, most people don’t even bother to go theaters anymore. Most people get their entertainment from television these days.

Have you ever heard of the United States versus Paramount 1948 decision, where studios could not own theaters anymore. This decision forced the studio to only show movies with theaters they didn’t own and share the profit with this theaters, something they didn’t have to do before the decision. The studios had no choice, because at that time it was the only way their movie could be seen. This is what created the theatrical system we know today, it was never a good system for the studios. Now with new technology and changing laws the studios see away out of this system.

$30 for a movie is fairly cheap. If I go to a theater with my wife, I’m already paying $30 for tickets. If I go with the family it’s $60 for tickets. Why should I spend $60 at a theater when we stay at home and only pay $30 for the whole family.
    You...you go to a damned expensive theater during a terrible time of day.
    My local matinee is like $8 to $10 dollars a ticket.
    You theater wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    You theater wrong.
    Never mind that the math there is faulty.

Cinemark Tinseltown in Illinois? Still under five bucks for the first showing on a given day.

Also one of the most laid back theaters I have ever been to.

Come to think of it, they also just closed the Odgen theater that was out by Warrenville/Naperville.

It was still second run, and even cheaper than that matinee price.

Average movie ticket in U S, $9. I live in NY and it's around $10 to $16, depending on the theater. If you go to a special Imax it can be $20.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 06-13-2021 at 07:38 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

You theater wrong.
    Most people can’t make matinees and a lot of theaters have stop showing matinees.

Average movie ticket in U S, $9. I live in NY and it's around $10 to $16, depending on the theater. If you go to a special Imax it can be $20.
    Doubt it is $30 anywhere.
    Just to be fair...

The couple of times that I have gone to Fathom Events screenings?

It has been roughly fifteen a person. If I was taking another person, it would get close to thirty.

That said, I've paid that maybe three times over the last five years.

Most people can’t make matinees and a lot of theaters have stop showing matinees.
    Politely, I think quite a few folks missed that memo.

Every time I have gone to one of those matinees at Tinsletown?

It is like a can of sardines.

BANNED

And the answer to the original question is for me, we still don't know.
    I think we saw streaming being strong during COVID, but I for one did not see the Studios having their own services compete with the theaters to this extent after they opened. Same day releases, especially HBOMax's, with no premium, will have an impact.
    Will the Studios pull back on this to help the B O? Or will they push streaming further into growing that platform?
    I think BW and Bond will be indicators.
    Black Widow for sure.

1. Where's the evidence that most people can't make any matinees?
    2. Why would a "lot" of theaters stop showing matinees?

BANNED

1. Where's the evidence that most people can't make any matinees?
    2. Why would a "lot" of theaters stop showing matinees?
    1. Seriously, don’t you know most jobs and schools are in the day time hours.
    2. Theaters have cut their workforce and hours, some theaters don’t open until 4pm or 5pm

2. Theaters have cut their workforce and hours, some theaters don’t open until 4pm or 5pm
    Weekends, anybody? Never mind that this "Most Jobs..." bit seemingly leaves out second and third shift workers.

Past that, checked a lot of the "Western Suburbs..." theaters here in Illinois. Plenty of them are open for matinees.

1. Seriously, don't you know most jobs and schools have weekends off? Or holidays, vacations (especially for the school argument, as most blockbusters are summer movies or winter break), and jobs with different hours (like night shifts) are all things. Or how some people trade shifts and days with their coworkers.
    2. Before or during covid? Also, some is not all or even most.

You theater wrong.
    Our amc matinee is $6 from 4 to 5:30pm. And plus we have discount tuesdays all day! Only downside no pick your seats before the show. It's first come first serve for seats!

There is a-list plus also where you pay one price a month and see 3 movies per week all month.

https://www.amctheatres.com/amcstubs/alist

Here in NYC, were many people have jobs and go to school, I see no indication that the theaters have stopped matinees. It's pretty easy to look at the daily schedule on the inter tubes.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!