Page 75 of 156 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 2338

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    It's amusing nobody here really agrees with you either way but you're still trucking on with this tripe without even quoting any financial figures either way to show for your troubles.

What's the biggest awards financial report that makes you think the current Oscar race will contribute to kill theaters? I for one want to watch Promising Young Woman in theaters if not Messiah, but I'd think Nobody will still be financially better off and I'll also watch that and won't tell you how many blockbusters after that.
    I've never understood the belief that theaters are for the blockbusters, but smaller movies would be fine on streaming. I'm getting to a point in my life where I'd rather watch the Blockbusters at home and spend the money on the theater experience for art-house, award contenders and indie movies. My best theater experience of 2019 was not Avengers: Endgame, it was Parasite. I am much happier that my first theater experience since COVID was Judas and the Black Messiah instead of a tent pole.

New Zealand box office bouncing back. Good news for those of you in nz.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d-s-best-stock

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    He means people on CBR account for a very small % of the real world.
    I'm sure people have been polled about wanting to go to theaters, as far as that goes.

But I don't trust him being honest about this subject when it's about COVID not moving goalposts about a possible streaming future, and he brought HBO Max to talk about GvK of all things, a movie that will turn out to be profitable from theaters alone. So whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I've never understood the belief that theaters are for the blockbusters, but smaller movies would be fine on streaming. I'm getting to a point in my life where I'd rather watch the Blockbusters at home and spend the money on the theater experience for art-house, award contenders and indie movies. My best theater experience of 2019 was not Avengers: Endgame, it was Parasite. I am much happier that my first theater experience since COVID was Judas and the Black Messiah instead of a tent pole.
    Good movie. Watched it in a packed theater, as far as anecdotal evidence or gut feelings about people recently only going to theaters for IMAX spectacle blockbusters.

Extraordinary Member

So are ppl saying there is no competition between theaters and streaming services at this time? I think theaters are going to have to step their game up at this time. I enjoyed GVK way more at home than in the theater. One I'm really tired of 3-d at the movie theaters it doesn't look any better and just seems like an excuse to overcharge.

I ended up getting a bad seat where the movie looked like trash and the teller recommended another seat but damn..ya coulda just said the seat was a bad look. And it was kinda hot in there. I luv going to the movies but forgot how much of a pain it can be...I really would've had a totally different take of gvk if I only saw it in theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    So are ppl saying there is no competition between theaters and streaming services at this time? I think theaters are going to have to step their game up at this time. I enjoyed GVK way more at home than in the theater. One I'm really tired of 3-d at the movie theaters it doesn't look any better and just seems like an excuse to overcharge.

I ended up getting a bad seat where the movie looked like trash and the teller recommended another seat but damn..ya coulda just said the seat was a bad look. And it was kinda hot in there. I luv going to the movies but forgot how much of a pain it can be...I really would've had a totally different take of gvk if I only saw it in theaters.
    While I don't want to speak for too many folks...

I think that it is more like "Streaming Films Made Specifically For Streaming Services Probably Will Not Play A Pivotal Role In Half Of Theaters Being Forced To Close..."

(Or Whatever The Specific Assertion Actually Was There...)

Drafthouse chain again opening more theatres back up. Will also show the demon slayer film!

https://ozarksindependent.com/2021/0...vies-april-28/

F9 moved up in china to help it's box office.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=7330d582a2e9

Ghostbusters afterlife cereal and that movie clip has many thinking the movie will move back to summer.

https://www.slashfilm.com/ghostbuste...erlife-cereal/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post

We've all had bad experiences at theaters... it's just life.

I remember there was a full thread here about that well before COVID came out (recently enough that Batman vs Superman was mentioned), and nobody pretended the sky was falling down on theaters and they should all close down because of that.

Just talking from experience, I watched the indie horror movie The Lodge with a group of teenagers that loudly acted as if it was their first ever outing at a public event, fancy suits included. I still watch horror movies in theaters to this day if I can.

GVK hits $80m in america alone! $300m ww.

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...ak-1234954238/

Mortal kombat ww now $19,2m.

Detective conan crushed it overseas. $38m or more ww.

Not bad.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 04-18-2021 at 01:11 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Here's the main issue...

You have to grab almost every "Well, What About 'X/Y/Z'?..." that you can get your hands on for things to look even a little bit bad for the future of theaters.

That says a lot about how things actually look.
    I’m giving you what you are keep asking me for.
    You continuously ask for evidence, I keep giving you evidence, then you complain I’m giving you too much evidence.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    You continuously ask for evidence, I keep giving you evidence, then you complain I’m giving you too much evidence.
    Please quote yourself in a new post giving evidence

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I agree, I like to watch smaller films in theaters too, but unfortunately the studios nor the theaters will not do this because it’s not going to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Please quote yourself in a new post giving evidence
    I don’t have to, just go back and read my old post.

BANNED

I don’t have to, just go back and read my old post.
    I'm just interested to see what you think constitutes evidence.

Politely, that is not what is happening.

Folks have said "Well, where is the evidence/data that points to this being likely?..."

It's not that you have come up with too much data. It's that there is always another angle when someone points out that all of the "Evidence..." up until now has been rather wishy-washy/inconclusive.

Once someone points that out?

There is always another wishy-washy/inconclusive angle to throw onto the already existing pile of wishy-washy/inconclusive data/"Evidence..."

That you have to keep piling up examples that, at best, point to something like a "Well, Maybe?..." once they are all stacked up is the issue.

I agree, I like to watch smaller films in theaters too, but unfortunately the studios nor the theaters will not do this because it’s not going to make money.

This is another aspect of the issue here.

Essentially?

All we have is someone on a message board saying that this will come to pass.

Right now?

There isn't really any data that even sort of suggests that.

Is that what you think is happening? Because, that's not what's happening. You keep posting what you think is "evidence", then everyone kind of shows all the holes in it that makes it more non-evidence, and you still say it's evidence.