Page 19 of 156 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by willtupper View Post
    Same. And I'd bet Disney announces a Mulan delay later this morning.
    Yep, Disney just announced Mulan is delayed until August 21
    Last edited by luprki; 06-26-2020 at 09:51 PM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

It's going to get delayed again.

I don't think theatrical movies are coming back until (or unless) an effective vaccine is deployed. 2021 at the earliest.

Basically, 2020 has been cancelled. I wish I could go into cryo-stasis for the next year.

Amazing Member

Yeah. That had to be about the safest prediction in history.

One thing I've not seen anything written about yet is the Federal Pandemic Employment Compensation (perhaps better known as the "Extra $600 A Week In Unemployment Act) expiration. As it stands now, it will end July 25th. Just under a month from now.

And it looks like there are NO movies coming out, and next to no theaters opening, before then.

SO, if it doesn't get extended, and I cannot stress this enough, many movie theater employees will be forced to go find new jobs.

It's not politics. It's economics.

Going from making far more than you're used to down to making 66% (or less) of your previous paycheck, well.

Lots of folks simply can't live off that.

So. Theater employees go find new jobs to make more money.

Time passes.

Someday in the far and wonderful future, a vaccine is found.

Those employees? They've moved on. When it comes to their lives working at theaters, they're done.

So, yeah. The theaters open. But they probably won't have the staff (or enough of the staff) to, um...

Staff them.

And then what?

I'm reminded of that Jim Morrison lyric. "The future's uncertain, and the end is always near."

Let it roll, baby. Roll.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Yep, Disney just announced Milan is delayed until August 21

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Those employees? They've moved on. When it comes to their lives working at theaters, they're done.

So, yeah. The theaters open. But they probably won't have the staff (or enough of the staff) to, um...

Staff them.

And then what?
    Well... I'm sure the world will make more high school students looking for jobs. The guy who services the digital projectors is really the only skilled worker they need, and I don't know if cineplexes even have them in-house.

I'm reminded of that Jim Morrison lyric. "The future's uncertain, and the end is always near."

Let it roll, baby. Roll.
    All night long.

Staff them.

And then what?

Let it roll, baby. Roll.
    Have you seen who works at movie theaters? Its usually high school/college students and/or retired old people. There will always be people in those demographics looking for easy work and it doesnt take much to train a person to work. Seasonal work is a thing for many industries (Halloween for example and Christmas when companies ramp up temp/contract work). Its really not that hard to bring in people fast and get them up to speed. Most of the people that you mention have moved on are really just sitting at home doing nothing but collecting an unemployment check and would gladly go back to work at the theater if they could

Yeah. Our movies it's teens and collage students also most of the time. The older adults art behind the snack bar!

Someday in the far and wonderful future, a vaccine is found.

Staff them.

And then what?

Sort of assumes that the chains that own the theaters are caught completely flat footed and that theaters are back to full capacity as soon as a vaccine is a reality, no?

What are the odds that even part of that actually happens? Never mind all of it happening in some sort of a "Perfect Storm..." that will hobble theater operation.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 06-28-2020 at 05:10 PM.

BANNED

California Governor Gavin Newsom just order bars in most of the state to close again. There is a very little chance that movie theaters opening the rest of the year in California, Texas and Florida.

BANNED

TENET is still scheduled for August 12th in theaters only. I’ll be very surprised if this happens.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

California is back on shutdown. All non essentials were ordered closed yesterday.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Amusingly, one of the other things that was specifically ordered to be shut down was protesting.

Drive in movies can make a comeback, I still say.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

The studios aren’t interested in Drive-In, because they can’t bring in enough money.
    Tenet, if open in August will be a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    TENET is still scheduled for August 12th in theaters only. I’ll be very surprised if this happens.
    Just posted this in the box office thread"

Tenet delayed indefinitely

BANNED

Tenet’s removal from the the schedule is a major blow to movie theaters. It’s going to be interesting to see what happens to Wonder Woman, Black Widow and James Bond.