Page 108 of 156 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 2338
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Basically the studio prioritized getting it out in theaters for 45 days first, result being it has already more than doubled its (several times higher than the previous pre-pandemic movie) budget worldwide in theaters and you don't see any of them bellyaching about it. Quite the opposite, a spin-off is already announced not even being out of the theatrical window yet.
    When everyone realize that the theatrical window is this short, a lot of people will start forgoing the theaters and wait for digital. Which means less people buying their overpriced popcorn, soda and candy. So the theaters are losing out on late week ticket sales and overpriced concessions.
    Last edited by luprki; 06-08-2021 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    When everyone realize that the theatrical window is this short, a lot of people will start forgoing the theaters and wait for digital. Which means less people buying their overpriced popcorn, soda and candy. So the theaters are losing out on late week ticket sales and overpriced concessions.
    This doesn't make sense as people even went to watch Godzilla vs Kong and Conjuring 3 in theaters despite these movies being released the same day on a streaming platform.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    This doesn't make sense as people even went to watch Godzilla vs Kong and Conjuring 3 in theaters despite these movies being released the same day on a streaming platform.
    In the midst of a pandemic, no less.

Nothing but wind blowing against them, and they did just fine in the theaters.

Seems like a lot of this comes down more to what someone wants to believe is going to happen versus that we can see that it is not really happening.

Never mind that AQPII has that very shorter window, and it's theatrical profit is humming right along.

BANNED

And there are many people who stayed at home and watched them too, so your point is moot.

And there are many people who stayed at home and watched them too, so your point is moot.
    Not if the assertion is that "Same Day Release..." streaming(never mind streaming with a forty-five day release window...) will do any notable harm to theaters profits.

Never mind that nonsense about that it will do so much harm that theaters will need to shut down even a notable amount of locations.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Not if the assertion is that "Same Day Release..." streaming(never mind streaming with a forty-five day release window...) will do any notable harm to theaters profits.

Never mind that nonsense about that it will do so much harm that theaters will need to shut down even a notable amount of locations.
    I also said it’s not going to happen overnight, it’s going to take some time, I’ll say about 5 years or so. once streaming build enough subscribers, it will happen. All theaters will not close, but a significant amount will close.
    Pacific and ArcLight Theaters have already shutdown. AMC Theaters got a temporary bailout but still on the brink of bankruptcy with a $5.6 billion debt, this company net worth is only $3 billion, they owe more money than they are worth. They need another bailout or heavy cuts to survive. The shorten theatrical window is only going to make it harder for theaters to rebound.
    Last edited by luprki; 06-08-2021 at 02:36 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I also said it’s not going to happen overnight, it’s going to take some time, I’ll say about 5 years or so. once streaming build enough subscribers, it will happen. All theaters will not close, but a significant amount will close.
    Pacific and ArcLight Theaters have already shutdown. AMC Theaters got a temporary bailout but still on the brink of bankruptcy with a $5.6 billion debt, this company net worth is only $3 billion, they owe more money than they are worth. They need another bailout or heavy cuts to survive. The shorten theatrical window is only going to make it harder for theaters to rebound.
    The problem is young people and non-hermits will still want to go out, so I wouldn't bet any money on theaters dying out.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

The irony of a champion of streaming services talking about debt...
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The problem is young people and non-hermits will still want to go out, so I wouldn't bet any money on theaters dying out.
    Actually it’s the young people who are watching movies on mobile devices and computers.

Ultimate Member

And so determined to demand the end of movie theaters for some reason.

Lets say if all I wanted to see was say Blue Beetle-why would I waste money on HBO Max? It would be cheaper for me to go the an early showing at the theater by me.

once streaming build enough subscribers, it will happen.
    Which won't happen. Because LOL not everyone has access to a strong wifi or cellar source. Not to mention price.

I get Hulu and Netflix free. I am not going to waste money on HBO or Disney or those other streamers. Because most if not all those shows will find their way to DVD and the public library shelf.

And movie theaters will adjust. We have theaters where you can eat and watch a film. I have seen theaters be used as churches, event halls and more. It's not all doom and gloom.

BANNED

I’m not demanding an end to theaters, the studios are already doing a good job of that.

BANNED

Please explain?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Actually it’s the young people who are watching movies on mobile devices and computers.
    They're also eating at home, too, but that doesn't mean they don't go to a restaurant.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The deceiving part of this topic, Are Malls dead? Are video game arcades dead? Is regular mail dead? Are news paper dead? I don't think dying means that they all will disappear. I think at some point Theaters will be a niche thing like newspapers or arcades.

Dying out doesn't mean totally gone, Dying out does mean not relevant to culture and reduce by alot. Malls are dying out because people can shop online, It does not mean that all Malls are going to die but stores that are inside of Mall are different and maybe at some point these stores will adjust by turning into delivery centers as well. I am not predicting theaters dying any time soon but if 45 day window is gone the landscape for Theaters will total change.

I think Studios will get comfortable enough with making money from Streaming that some point will be will be higher priority that the Theaters because it makes more consistent money to the Theaters more explosive money. Of course as long as they can do both they will do both but I think there will be a point where making Streaming customer happy will out weigh making Theater customers happy. Netflix at 200 million subs makes 20 billion in revenue, Disney Plus at 103 million subs should make about 9 billion. Disney movies in 2019 made 13 billion which a record breaking year that will be hard to reach. Again they want to both things but lets say they make movies theaters only make 7 billion but Streaming makes 22 Billion who are they going to favor? What they are they going to protect more sub numbers or theater numbers

Now someone is going to mention profit vs revenue. Is Netflix and Disney plus going to be in this level debt forever? At some point in time the profit are going to be larger because they will not have as much debt. When Disney hits 150 million actual active subs worldwide that means every year they will be making about 14 billon dollars, The same amount as the record year in the theaters.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 06-09-2021 at 05:17 AM.