Page 11 of 156 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Not enough people will return for the theaters to stay open. People are not going to risk their lives or their older family members lives to go see a movie that will be streaming in just two months.
    I disagree completely. Given how people flooded to the beaches when they reopened in some areas there will definitely be people who risk their health just to see a movie.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

If all goes well (and all seems to be going well) we will have an effective vaccine in about 7 months. As soon as I've had that needle in my arm I'm going back to doing everything I was before.

Humanity has been through thousands of pandemics before. There is nothing special about ours.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Just to say in passing, it's amusing for me to see you keep making these kinds of posts, talking about possibly doomed movie projects, while with a Gambit avatar OF ALL THINGS.
    Weird post, what do my avatar has to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I disagree completely. Given how people flooded to the beaches when they reopened in some areas there will definitely be people who risk their health just to see a movie.
    Beaches are generally safe because of outside air. But a movie theater where people breathe the same air in a closed room for 2 or 3 hours is the most risky way for the virus to spread. But if you want to risk your life or your older family member life just for something as meaningless as a movie, that’s on you.

At some point people will have to ask themselves, what’s more in important, risk of life or going to see a movie on opening day. Once a life is over it’s over, a movie will be around forever.
    Last edited by luprki; 06-04-2020 at 03:38 PM.

Spectacular Member

Beaches are generally safe because of outside air. But a movie theater where people breathe the same air in a closed room for 2 or 3 hours is the most risky way for the virus to spread. But if you want to risk your life or your older family member life just for something as meaningless as a movie, that’s on you.

At some point people will have to ask themselves, what’s more in important, risk of life or going to see a movie on opening day. Once a life is over it’s over, a movie will be around forever.
    How about the bars that got packed in Wisconsin when they reopened numerous people were shown without masks, or people demanding gyms and salons open. It's clear that if given the choice there are people who won't mind breathing the same air as others and putting themselves and others at risk for cheap or overpriced temporary pleasures.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    If all goes well (and all seems to be going well) we will have an effective vaccine in about 7 months. As soon as I've had that needle in my arm I'm going back to doing everything I was before.

Humanity has been through thousands of pandemics before. There is nothing special about ours.
    I wouldn't say it's going well at all over a 100k Dead and all just in the USA there hasn't been a pandemic like this one seans 1918 so unless a miracle happens and it probably won't a vaccine it's going to be a year and a half to make it and test it and another year and a half to get it out to the whole world you're looking at 2 to 3 years and new reports are saying you may have to get the vaccine evey year like a flu shot if you think co19 is nothing special and your life is going to be the way it was before you are in for a huge wake up sorry.
    Last edited by choptop; 06-04-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Just to say in passing, it's amusing for me to see you keep making these kinds of posts, talking about possibly doomed movie projects, while with a Gambit avatar OF ALL THINGS.
    He's probably right that is kinda amusing I guess also what's the Gambit avatar have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I wouldn't say it's going well at all over a 100k Dead and all just in the USA there hasn't been a pandemic like this one seans 1918 so unless a miracle happens and it probably won't a vaccine it's going to be a year and a half to make it and test it and another year and a half to get it out to the whole world you're looking at 2 to 3 years and new reports are saying you may have to get the vaccine evey year like a flu shot if you think co19 is nothing special and your life is going to be the way it was before you are in for a huge wake up sorry.
    That's pessimistic. They are fast tracking everything, still, even if we get one early next year you need another 3 to 6 months to vaccinate everyone. So we are looking at about a year before it's safe.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That's pessimistic. They are fast tracking everything, still, even if we get one early next year you need another 3 to 6 months to vaccinate everyone. So we are looking at about a year before it's safe.
    No that's being realistic sorry but fast tracking this means nothing it takes as long as it takes party much all the top doctor's agree it's going to take 2 to 3 years I hope you're right but I'm not holding my breath anytime soon.

Astonishing Member

Beaches are safer than cinemas but they're not safe. The virus spreads by being breathed on and people aren't following social distancing as much as they should be or wearing masks. The open air isn't going to save you if someone breathes in your direction and it certainly won't in large crowds.

Many people don't think about this, they just want to go to the beach or the cinema. They don't take the pandemic seriously, the second wave is going to be a disaster.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I'm sure people vowed never go into a multiplex again after Aurora eight years ago, but the crowds returned, and the same will happen here. However, it will take time, and the process will be slow, perhaps glacially slow, but people will eventually return. The question is if there will be any multiplexes to return to, given how the AMC chain is struggling, and I'm sure Regal Cinema is on the ropes as well.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 06-05-2020 at 08:17 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

The 1918 pandemic killed 675,000 Americans, which is the equivalent of 2 million+ in today's population. That there have been only ~100,000 deaths with this one is objectively a huge win. It sucks for the families and friends of the 100,000, but it could have been vastly worse if certain state and local governments hadn't taken responsible action. And the numbers are going down in most places.

Vaccines are being fast tracked and should be ready to go by the end of this year. It's an RNA vaccine, which speeds up the process, and they are producing doses ahead of time so they can be ready to deploy to the general population as soon as it is approved. It turns out the imminent collapse of the world economy really lights a fire under people's asses.

Several different vaccines are being tested and it's all but certain one of them at least will work. Yes, you may need to get vaccinated every year like with the flu. It's also possible that once we have herd immunity this coronavirus just turns into the common cold like the other ones did.

Chances are that by the end of January Covid-19 will be a thing of the past as a widespread public health crisis. There will likely be a collective case of PTSD and some people will continue to wear masks, reflexively distance from others, and feel uncomfortable going to a theater or a crowded restaurant. But that will fade.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    The 1918 pandemic killed 675,000 Americans, which is the equivalent of 2 million+ in today's population. That there have been only ~100,000 deaths with this one is objectively a huge win. It sucks for the families and friends of the 100,000, but it could have been vastly worse if certain state and local governments hadn't taken responsible action. And the numbers are going down in most places.

Vaccines are being fast tracked and should be ready to go by the end of this year. It's an RNA vaccine, which speeds up the process, and they are producing doses ahead of time so they can be ready to deploy to the general population as soon as it is approved. It turns out the imminent collapse of the world economy really lights a fire under people's asses.

Several different vaccines are being tested and it's all but certain one of them at least will work. Yes, you may need to get vaccinated every year like with the flu. It's also possible that once we have herd immunity this coronavirus just turns into the common cold like the other ones did.

Chances are that by the end of January Covid-19 will be a thing of the past as a widespread public health crisis. There will likely be a collective case of PTSD and some people will continue to wear masks, reflexively distance from others, and feel uncomfortable going to a theater or a crowded restaurant. But that will fade.
    I hope you're right but there's nothing really to support it's going to be ready by the end of the year just a lot of gussing and talk even if that happens they are going to need a year or two years to test it and get it out to the world the WHO says when this is over 80% of the population may be infected even with a 1% death rate that's over a 100 million people dieing world wide in the next 2 to 3 years also there's no real prof that heard immunity can even work again I hope you are right but I don't really see co19 going away in January it's possible but no one in the WHO or CDC or any of the top drs are saying that they all pretty much agree that if something isn't done soon it's going to get a lot wors.
    Last edited by choptop; 06-05-2020 at 12:00 PM.

Mighty Member

I hope you're right but there's nothing really to support it's going to be ready by the end of the year just a lot of gussing and talk even if that happens they are going to need a year or two years to test it and get it out to the world the WHO says when this is over 80% of the population may be infected even with a 1% death rate that's over a 100 million people dieing world wide in the next 2 to 3 years also there's no real prof that heard immunity can even work again I hope you are right but I don't really see co19 going away in January it's possible but no one in the WHO or CDC or any of the top drs are saying that they all pretty much agree that if something isn't done soon it's going to get a lot wors.
    LOL, 100 million someone at WHO is smoking crack. If it was going to do that things would be far,far, far..... far worse right now.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    LOL, 100 million someone at WHO is smoking crack. If it was going to do that things would be far,far, far..... far worse right now.
    They say most of the deaths are going to be in poor contrarys with little to no health care.

The vaccines are already being tested right now. The end of the year is when they hope to have it deployed to the general population. It's possible something could go wrong and delay that, but so far nothing has. Last results I saw, the vaccine had produced antibodies in 100% of the test patients.