Page 115 of 156 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 2338
    BANNED

I kind of remember this. It still holds true

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Cruella is performing super steady. Very little box office drop from last weekend which is not normal.
    And not just in North America, but elsewhere. The budget is still concerning, but if Disney+ transactions are supposed to be such a windfall for Disney, as far as I'm concerned this is the most timely release to show it. I guess we'll find out eventually, if Disney dates a sequel sooner rather than later (or never).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    The twenty years where the industry has been surviving just fine?
    This has nothing to do with what I’m talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    The 20 years where the box office did record-setting business?
    Of course, with tickets prices increasing higher than the inflation rates.

The fact is attendance has been dropping for the last 20 years. Address that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post

Of course, with tickets prices increasing higher than the inflation rates.

The fact is attendance has been dropping for the last 20 years. Address that fact.

Politely, what would be the actual point of doing so?

It would be along the lines of if someone said...

The Fact Is That A Ford F-150 New Now Runs Around One-Quarter Of The Price Of A Home. Address That Fact...
    If it is or is not fact has right around "Zero..." relevance.

It has no bearing on if the market for selling new cars can support new Ford F-150s when we all know good and well that it can all day/every day.

BANNED

Fact is reality, avoiding fact is not going to change reality.
    Plus, facts and reality is always relevant.
    Avoiding the fact the movie theater attendance has been dropping in recent years is not going to make this fact go away.
    The movie industry is changing. Change is hard and there is always resistance to change. But we have to either get onboard or be left behind, change is coming whether we like it or not. It’s only a matter of time. This is not a bold prediction, become we are already in the beginning stages.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Avoiding the fact the movie theater attendance has been dropping in recent years is not going to make this fact go away.
    The movie industry is changing. Change is hard and there is always resistance to change. But we have to either get onboard or be left behind, change is coming whether we like it or not. It’s only a matter of time. This is not a bold prediction, become we are already in the beginning stages.
    The reality is theaters weren't remotely in danger of dying out any time soon before the pandemic. This isn't arguable. So the only question is whether or not the theaters will bounce back to pre-Covid levels. I and almost everybody else here expect that to happen, but time will tell.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Let's say we can spot you that it is indeed a fact.

Said fact doesn't need to go away.

The "Movies Being Screened In Theaters..." industry has twenty years of running well enough to get along in the time that this "Fact..." has been a part of the bigger picture.

Again, it's just not really relevant. That is the larger fact.

Theater audiences shrinking is going on since the 1940s and that to an even bigger rate than in the last twenty years. Didn't stop theaters from staying in business. Decline is to be expected when competing forms of entertainment appear, then it was TV, now it's streaming. As the former the latter won't be the end of cinema.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

So instead of disputing my list, you tell me why movie theater attendance has been dropping for the last 20 years?
    ...I literally did dispute your list though. Pretty thoroughly I might add. If you think any of that was evidence for your side you crazy.

Edit: Okay, now I realize that you were telling me to argue your fact, not saying that I hadn't disputed your list. I think your sentence structure was kind of unclear on that. I'm not an English teacher, but I think there's a problem there. Moving on...why? It's not shrinking at an alarming rate, it's not shrinking at a rate threatening doom and gloom outside of pandemics, it tracks with historic norms since television began, so frankly there is zero reason to argue it - it isn't threatening theaters. It just isn't. Certainly not for the next 15 years or so, and frankly that's just too long a stretch to bother trying to predict.

And why do you not defend your list? You keep making up these "facts", we keep shooting them down, and you move on to new "facts". You're constantly shifting goal posts.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 06-24-2021 at 04:14 AM.

BANNED

I’ve been gone for a couple of days, I see nothing has changed. People wants to criticize, but have no agreement supporting their side.
    He movie industry is changing and is moving away from the theatrical model, this can’t be disputed. The box office has been dropping since 2002, this is fact, you can’t dispute facts.
    I gave reasons why I think this is happening and I will stand by these reasons. So instead of criticizing, will someone give me their opinion on why the box office has been dropping.
    There are plenty of reputable articles that are easy to find supporting this fact that box office has been dropping in recent years.
    Last edited by luprki; 06-24-2021 at 11:20 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I’ve been gone for a couple of days, I see nothing has changed. People wants to criticize, but have no agreement supporting their side.
    He movie industry is changing and is moving away from the theatrical model, this can’t be disputed. The box office has been dropping since 2002, this is fact, you can’t dispute facts.
    I gave reasons why I think this is happening and I will stand by these reasons. So instead of criticizing, will someone give me their opinion on why the box office has been dropping.
    There are plenty of reputable articles that are easy to find supporting this fact that box office has been dropping in recent years.
    So there were 1.5 Billion tickets sold in 2002 and only 1.2 Billion tickets sold in 2019...oh yeah, the sky really is falling!

2002 box office: $9,165,532,414

2019 box office: $11,320,877,578

Get your facts straight.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    So there were 1.5 Billion tickets sold in 2002 and only 1.2 Billion tickets sold in 2019...oh yeah, the sky really is falling!
    Thanks, this is what l’ve been asking for, a real argument. But I never said the sky is falling, just saying box office is dropping.
    Last edited by luprki; 06-24-2021 at 11:51 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    2002 box office: $9,165,532,414

2019 box office: $11,320,877,578

Get your facts straight.
    This isn’t the same issue, I’m talking about attendance, not gross.
    But if you what to talk about gross you have to remember that ticket prices are 3 times lower in 2002.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Thanks, this is what l’ve been asking for, a real argument. But I never said the sky is falling, just saying box office is dropping.
    You may have never said ,"the sky is falling" but yours posts have been apocalyptic in tone which equates to saying the same thing so just own it. And the thrust of your posts in no way matches the small drop in ticket numbers...and it is a small drop. The total population of the world is 7.6 Billion people...15% of which live in the so called "First World" which equates to just shy of 2 Billion people, which means that just about half of the people in that "first world" went and saw a movie last year which is no small feat and is statistically not really any smaller than the 1.5 Billion who saw movies in 2002. Now there are obviously theaters in other countries outside the "first world" but not nearly to the extent there are in those more developed nations which is why the comparison in population terms is applicable.

Let's put it another way, say I take a big bar of chocolate(Why chocolate? Because it's my thought experiment and I like chocolate) and I cut a piece off of it and weigh it and it's exactly 1.5 pounds, now I cut off another piece and it weighs 1.3 pounds and then I take the two pieces and I switch them around and around like a shell game before handing them to you. Can you tell me by weight alone which piece is larger just by how they feel in your hands?

If you're honest, you know the answer is no.

And it's the same whether you're talking pounds of chocolate or number of people who bought movie tickets; 1.3 and 1.5 just aren't that different. Sure, there are graphs on movie ticket sales that show a big decline...but that's just the way the graph is drawn. Realistically that line isn't some big jagged affair...it's basically a straight line.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 06-24-2021 at 12:29 PM.