Page 54 of 156 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    It’s already happening, WB is only first studio to go streaming, the others will eventually follow.
    Theaters will be a thing of the past, there maybe only a very few left by the year 2030.
    We thought the same when home video first became a thing and yet here we still are.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    We thought the same when home video first became a thing and yet here we still are.
    CD's followed a theater format release window. The HBO plan makes a release window redundant.

I really doubt any of these types of releases will be the same once the pandemic is over and all the theaters are open. This is all temporary, it's not the future.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    CD's followed a theater format release window. The HBO plan makes a release window redundant.
    You can't replace the theater experience on the small screen. While it could be possible for streaming to replace BluRay, since they're different ways to get the same thing, whether it be rentals or buying the discs yourself (yes, with BluRay, you can own the film and are not at the mercy of the streaming service, but still), streaming and the theater are different experiences.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

I am all for Theater.

For an example: I watched Aquaman in a THX Sound Cinema, 3D and in one of these chairs that rumble and move. I thought it was incredible when the underwater scenes came, I almost forgot to breathe. I gave the movie a 5 star review after that.

Later I watched it on the telly and was so disappointed about that movie. It was mediocre without the cinema experience. I will never watch it again.

Same with Avatar and Alice in Wonderland.

$15 Billion for theatre chains so they will not shut down.

https://deadline.com/2020/12/covid-1...nt-1234659887/

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

Awesome... overdue of course but definitely better late than never. Hopefully this will allow the big chains to hang in there until the vaccine is more widely distributed.

Of course i don't have much perspective on whether 15 billion is enough or too little - there are under 6000 theaters in the U.S. so i guess it works out to be 2.5 million per theater, on average.

Note this will be the SECOND time mgm sold it's films if they choose to do this again! (wb got it's films last time!)

Wonder if sony would swoop and grab it or would apple or netflix get into the bidding war? Universal may want it also!

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...ary-and-studio

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

So from what i read on WaPo today, the big theater chains (AMC, Regal, Cinemark) are not eligible for any of the $15 billion as the conditions say theaters receiving aid must be privately held and employ fewer than 500 people. So this funding will definitely help out a lot of indie theaters and perhaps some smaller chains, but the big guys are still in major trouble.

Theater owners can get up to 10 million to cover 2020 losses. Although i believe that live theater and music venues can also apply, rather than all 15 billion being reserved for movie theaters.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    So from what i read on WaPo today, the big theater chains (AMC, Regal, Cinemark) are not eligible for any of the $15 billion as the conditions say theaters receiving aid must be privately held and employ fewer than 500 people. So this funding will definitely help out a lot of indie theaters and perhaps some smaller chains, but the big guys are still in major trouble.

Theater owners can get up to 10 million to cover 2020 losses. Although i believe that live theater and music venues can also apply, rather than all 15 billion being reserved for movie theaters.
    Part of me agrees with this move but part of me doesn't. I like the fact that there's a limit because it helps the smaller theaters get funding that otherwise the banks would have just gave all to the big names and let's face it, typically its easier for bigger organizations to secure funding by investment fundraising. However, part of me disagrees because this is a crazy time for all industries and companies and all need help. Additionally, out of all the industries that have gotten government assistance, too many medium to large companies couldn't last 1 or 2 months, which imo is a bad sign on the longterm success, where as the theaters are going on at almost a year of using their own funds to cover expenses. Personally I would see theaters as a better investment longterm due to cash reserves alone and would have helped them out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That was before big screen 4K HDTV, home surround sound and a world wide pandemic. The world has changed since the 80’s.

It’s already happening, WB is only first studio to go streaming, the others will eventually follow.
    Theaters will be a thing of the past, there maybe only a very few left by the year 2030.
    Except what happens when the pandemic fades into history and theaters open again? Sure, some might not survive that long but their will be new owners. The lure of the big screen is still there especially in this CGI era.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Except what happens when the pandemic fades into history and theaters open again? Sure, some might not survive that long but their will be new owners. The lure of the big screen is still there especially in this CGI era.
    The truth is somewhere in the middle, Theaters are not going to die off BUT a company like Disney is starting to remove its success and failure from being tied to the theaters. If they can reach Netflix numbers it is going to be interesting how much they are going to care about theatrical releases with smaller projects.

That was before big screen 4K HDTV, home surround sound and a world wide pandemic. The world has changed since the 80’s.
    The pandemic won't be forever, and, as we've seen, fancy TVs can't replace the theater experience.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Posted in the box office thread demon slayer has beat spirited away in japan!

Wonder woman 2 makes $16m in america and $85m ww. Part 3 is in the works.

https://deadline.com/2020/12/wonder-...61808/#pagetop

https://deadline.com/2020/12/wonder-...as-1234661767/