Page 31 of 156 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast

And i was wrong. You have to be a Disney plus subscriber to get access to Mulan. All you are doing is getting "early access" and unlock the movie a few months early. Those who wait get to see it free.

Also john campea did a poll with over a thousand people if they are doing this and 89% said no!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The biggest obstacle is that its a paywalled. You have to have D+ in order to even purchase it and not everyone has it. If this launched at $30 on Prime, Vudu and Apple TV and $20-25 on D+, I think that would have been a better way to reach more people
    I agree, but Disney don’t want to share the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Either way, I think it's far from the death knell for the theater the other poster made it out to be.
    We are in uncharted waters, it can go either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The biggest obstacle is that its a paywalled. You have to have D+ in order to even purchase it and not everyone has it. If this launched at $30 on Prime, Vudu and Apple TV and $20-25 on D+, I think that would have been a better way to reach more people
    They aren't trying to get the most people as weirdly as it sounds they are trying to get the most money. To which you will say "if well more people have their hands on it they it will make more money" and most of the times that is the case but Mulan on Disney Plus is

A. Pushing people to get Disney plus which long term puts big/consistent money in their pocket
    B. 100% of the money is going straight to Disney no middle men or side vendors getting anything

Pushing people to Disney plus and getting those subs is nearly as important as selling the movie

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    And i was wrong. You have to be a Disney plus subscriber to get access to Mulan. All you are doing is getting "early access" and unlock the movie a few months early. Those who wait get to see it free.
    Just to be clear, the time from which a movie goes from theater to VOD is usually like 6 months at least. Some times longer. And that's usually a paid VOD service like Apple TV or Amazon. The time it takes for a movie to go to a subscription service is pretty varied. Some go shortly after the 6 months and some much longer; Spider-Man Far From Home still hasn't hit any subscription streaming services and it came out over a year ago.

Disney movies *might* all arrive on Disney+ a shorter timeframe, but we don't have a lot of examples to know that for sure. Frozen 2 was shorter due to covid. Toy Story 4 was more like 8 months IIRC.

So it's not like you're waiting a couple of months like someone else in this thread mentioned. You're waiting until early 2021 at best.

Also john campea did a poll with over a thousand people if they are doing this and 89% said no!

Please don't quote non-scientific polls as evidence of anything.

And as others have mentioned, wouldn't be surprised if Disney decides to keep Mulan as VOD for longer than normal to maximize revenue. we'll see though.

Disney Plus is not free.

And that poll is largely single dudes.

Ask them about Black Widow and I bet it inverts.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    I agree, but Disney don’t want to share the money.

We are in uncharted waters, it can go either way.
    Even in uncharted waters, you're likely to hit land sometime. People want to go back to normal, the theatrical big blockbuster is a known quantity over "everything is streaming now forever", and there's a whole cobweb of entanglements in deals and contracts we rarely think of. When it is safe to do so, smart money is on theaters coming back. They already slowly are in some countries with Corona more contained.

It's not just campea. Many places are attacking this and many are in fear other places like netflix will follow.

As for mulan it made the news again and not in a good way.

Disney got the ok from american chains to put it vod but overseas movies are open and needed mulan to help. Any country that has disney plus will NOT get a big screen release for mulan. UK, france, japan, etc are all screwed. Disney head said this was to get more people to get disney plus.

Now those overseas chains are ticked at disney. They feel betrayed. China chain destroys mulans display over it. Disney did not make many friends over this overseas.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/cinema...isney-release/

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

It's not just campea. Many places are attacking this and many are in fear other places like netflix will follow.

As for mulan it made the news again and not in a good way.

Disney got the ok from american chains to put it vod but overseas movies are open and needed mulan to help. Any country that has disney plus will NOT get a big screen release for mulan. UK, france, japan, etc are all screwed. Disney head said this was to get more people to get disney plus.

Now those overseas chains are ticked at disney. They feel betrayed. China chain destroys mulans display over it. Disney did not make many friends over this overseas.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/cinema...isney-release/

Yeah, that's not good at all. I wonder if Disney will do a 180 and reverse what's looking like a wrongheaded decision?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

When the status quo is your bread and butter, and it changes, you fling about. Disney is flinging about.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    When the status quo is your bread and butter, and it changes, you fling about. Disney is flinging about.
    Like a chimpanzee flinging **** against a wall? Yeah, I can definitely see the similarity.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Nobody really knows what they're doing anymore. Disney, in this one respect at least, are trying to adapt.

Thing that I'll miss about theaters if they go under is that they were like the easy mode of date options. I have 3 easy go-tos when it comes to dating, a movie, bowling, and coffee or diner. Now I've watched movies at home with my girlfriend before but for obvious reasons that an very very different kind of thing, lol. I can't just depend on bowling and food. And I'm not fricking creative or interesting enough to come up with anything else. Someone I really liked once tried to get me to try skydiving, hell no, i'm not jumping out of an airplane for anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Like a chimpanzee flinging **** against a wall? Yeah, I can definitely see the similarity.
    Nah. This has been coming for a while now. As much as some protest, streaming wasn't going away.

All COVID has done is speed things up. In fact we saw this same thing with AMC's little boycott.
    Last edited by Holt; 08-07-2020 at 01:48 PM.

I mean theaters do not hhere much leverage here. If they bad Disney they will lose a lot more money and theater chains in the process.