Page 144 of 156 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145146147148154 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 2338

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    It had a day and date streaming release so it didn't have an exclusive theatrical window. The digital release won't impact the theatrical run much as the damage was already done by the day and date Disney+ release. Doesn't matter if it's after 33, 45 or 22 days when the movie is already on Disney+ from day one.
    That is still short I can imagine seething theater owners.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    You don’t see how this is hurting the theaters? Theaters don’t make a lot of money from ticket sales in the first four weeks, 60% to 80% goes to the studios.
    Of course theaters make more money with 30% from 170 million (BW's gross in the first four weeks) than with 50% from 20 million (generous estimation of BW's gross after the first four weeks), that's basic math.

But what interesting is it’s a 33 day theatrical window, probably means Disney will pull the movie out of theaters in 33 days, I don’t know.
    No it won't, it will continue to play in theatres.

Plus you have no way of knowing the impact on F9 digital release.
    Of course I have, the weekend box office for F9 was released and the drop was -45%, which is a pretty normal hold. If the digital release had a big impact the drop would have been higher.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

Of course theaters make more money with 30% from 170 million (BW's gross in the first four weeks) than with 50% from 20 million (generous estimation of BW's gross after the first four weeks), that's basic math.

No it won't, it will continue to play in theatres.

Of course I have, the weekend box office for F9 was released and the drop was -45%, which is a pretty normal hold. If the digital release had a big impact the drop would have been higher.
    You still can’t see how theaters are negatively impacted with a shorting window?

You still can’t see how theaters are negatively impacted with a shorting window?
    There is some impact but it's nothing compared to the impact a day and date release has. F9 and A Quiet Place 2 had a shortened window and I don't think their box office suffered that much from it.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

There is some impact but it's nothing compared to the impact a day and date release has. F9 and A Quiet Place 2 had a shortened window and I don't think their box office suffered that much from it.
    But F9 before Covid was an exoected billion dollar film.

BANNED

In my experience, theaters get a lot more upset that they have to play a movie in its 7th week that now only making $1000 a weekend, taking up valuable screen time to new movies where they could make 10x that on the next big movie.

A movie theater is an interesting business model. They want control, but they don't get it. But they complain when the rules change in their favor.

Granted, in the current situation, theaters want to keep big movies as long as possible, but in normal circumstances, they want to get rid of them much sooner than they typically are able to.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    But F9 before Covid was an exoected billion dollar film.
    Exactly, the impact is obvious.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    In my experience, theaters get a lot more upset that they have to play a movie in its 7th week that now only making $1000 a weekend, taking up valuable screen time to new movies where they could make 10x that on the next big movie.

A movie theater is an interesting business model. They want control, but they don't get it. But they complain when the rules change in their favor.

Granted, in the current situation, theaters want to keep big movies as long as possible, but in normal circumstances, they want to get rid of them much sooner than they typically are able to.
    That’s make zero business sense. A shorter window in no way favors the theaters, because more people are willing to wait a few weeks than 3 to 6 months.
    Last edited by luprki; 08-03-2021 at 04:57 PM.

BANNED

That’s make zero business sense.
    Welcome to the movie business. It doesn't makes sense for the theaters, but makes good sense for the studios.

Ultimate Member

That’s make zero business sense. A shorter window in no way favors the theaters, because more people are willing to wait a few weeks than 3 to 6 months.
    Most movie theaters choose ahead of time what movies that they want to show. At least that is what I understood years ago.

Green Goblin is right.

I remember going to see the movie Get Out on opening weekend. I had NOT planned on seeing that early. However it was slated to be yanked from the theater I am closest to and nobody else within a 100 miles radios (about 7-10 theaters) was showing it. When it came in Number One guess what film suddenly had a LOT more showings.

Moonlight-that movie did not show here and when it got Best Picture-folks were asking where did it come from.

Some of those movies-they want out of theaters as soon as possible for another one even if the movie is making money.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Most movie theaters choose ahead of time what movies that they want to show. At least that is what I understood years ago.

Green Goblin is right.

I remember going to see the movie Get Out on opening weekend. I had NOT planned on seeing that early. However it was slated to be yanked from the theater I am closest to and nobody else within a 100 miles radios (about 7-10 theaters) was showing it. When it came in Number One guess what film suddenly had a LOT more showings.

Moonlight-that movie did not show here and when it got Best Picture-folks were asking where did it come from.

Some of those movies-they want out of theaters as soon as possible for another one even if the movie is making money.
    Are you seriously trying to argue that a short theatrical window is good for theaters? Really?
    But with a shorter window, even successful movies like Get Out will be out of theaters sooner.
    Last edited by luprki; 08-03-2021 at 06:14 PM.

Astonishing Member

I didn't realize GVK had same day release and streaming in NA. Now BW better beat GVK otherwise I think BW is a failure regardless if GVK had one week in the international markets before streaming on HBO Max.

BANNED

NYC is requiring proof of vaccination for indoor businesses, I expect other cities will follow. This means the only way to see a movie in theaters is to get vaccinated or proof of a negative test 72 hour prior, hopefully this will persuade more people to get the shot.
    One big advantage streaming has over theaters, streaming is pandemic proof.
    Last edited by luprki; 08-03-2021 at 07:22 PM.

BANNED

NYC is requiring proof of vaccination for indoor businesses, I expect other cities will follow. This means the only way to see a movie in theaters is to get vaccinated or proof of a negative test 72 hour prior, hopefully this will persuade more people to get the shot.
    One big advantage streaming has over theaters, streaming is pandemic proof.
    Correction: There is no proof of a negative test. In order to attend an indoor event you must have proof of vaccination, period. You must be vaccinated or you won’t get inside.

BANNED

Another article on how the studios are moving toward and prioritizing streaming over theaters.
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/31/media...son/index.html