Page 111 of 156 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 2338

luprki is talking about when the government stopped allowing Studios to also own the theaters because they felt it was a monopoly. The independent theater chains emerged and the the studios distributed their movies through them. I don't see where the government forced them int to taking. It was the same way to show movies before and after the divestment. Studios also made TV shows and eventually VHS and DVDs. Now they also have streaming. They are not obligated to do anything.

And BTW the legal decree from 1948 was overturned last year.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    When actors from streaming services and television get paid the same or more per hour's worth of film as a theatrical actor does, then we can talk about theaters becoming third tier. Until then, they are still numero uno and it's not even close.
    Actors are people just like us, they will take whatever paycheck is available in their craft. The business is not numero uno, most people don’t even bother to go theaters anymore. Most people get their entertainment from television these days.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    No studio was forced to do that. Because for a time that was the only place they had to show a movie.

Where is all this false information coming from?

No studio wants to settle for streaming. Because sooner or later BUDGETS are going to get changed. Nobody is going to greenlight $100 million and up films.

Because if everyone has streaming-where is the money going to come from?

I am not paying $30 for Black Panther 2 or Static or Wonder Woman 1999.

I can wait till Direct Tv gets them for $6 or pay $20 for the Blu Ray at Target.
    Have you ever heard of the United States versus Paramount 1948 decision, where studios could not own theaters anymore. This decision forced the studio to only show movies with theaters they didn’t own and share the profit with this theaters, something they didn’t have to do before the decision. The studios had no choice, because at that time it was the only way their movie could be seen. This is what created the theatrical system we know today, it was never a good system for the studios. Now with new technology and changing laws the studios see away out of this system.

$30 for a movie is fairly cheap. If I go to a theater with my wife, I’m already paying $30 for tickets. If I go with the family it’s $60 for tickets. Why should I spend $60 at a theater when we stay at home and only pay $30 for the whole family.
    Last edited by luprki; 06-10-2021 at 10:58 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Actors are people just like us, they will take whatever paycheck is available in their craft. The business is not numero uno, most people don’t even bother to go theaters anymore. Most people get their entertainment from television these days.
    Television has attracted a bigger audience than the movies since my parents were kids in the '50s, so I don't understand your point.

Have you ever heard of the United States versus Paramount 1948 decision, where studios could not own theaters anymore. This decision forced the studio to only show movies with theaters they didn’t own and share the profit with this theaters, something they didn’t have to do before the decision. The studios had no choice, because at that time it was the only way their movie could be seen. This is what created the theatrical system we know today, it was never a good system for the studios. Now with new technology and changing laws the studios see away out of this system.
    You do realize the streaming services that the studios own are closer to Golden Age Hollywood than what we have experienced with theaters for the past 70-something years (since the latter are the middle men for the studios?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Television has attracted a bigger audience than the movies since my parents were kids in the '50s, so I don't understand your point.

You do realize the streaming services that the studios own are closer to Golden Age Hollywood than what we have experienced with theaters for the past 70-something years (since the latter are the middle men for the studios?
    Both of these are my point. Most people watch TV which includes streaming and streaming allows the studios to go back to a pre 1948 system.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Both of these are my point. Most people watch TV which includes streaming and streaming allows the studios to go back to a pre 1948 system.
    Except the part about that great mass of movie fans still going to theaters, that is.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Only for blockbusters as I expected, but that’s for now. I never expected this transformation to happen overnight, it going to take a few years. Theaters are not going away anytime soon and they never will completely go away. I think in about five years streaming will be the main way most of us view movies, not because we demand it, but because studios are changing and evolving.
    Last edited by luprki; 06-10-2021 at 01:07 PM.

BANNED

With no blockbuster franchise movie release this weekend, once again the box office is showing weakness. In The Heights was expected to bring in $20 million, but it looks like it will finish at number one with less than $15 million. The number one movie last weekend Conjuring fell by a whopping 63%.

But you also have quiet place 2 passed $108m and is doing well and may reclaim first place again do to repeat viewers and peter rabbit 2 made what they said it would make.

Coming in close behind “In the Heights” is the box office force that has become “A Quiet Place Part II.” Taking in $3.7 million on Friday from 3,515 theaters, the thriller is set to gross a total of $11.4 million over the weekend, which would bring its cume up to an impressive $108 million. This would make “A Quiet Place 2” the biggest-earning film of the pandemic era so far, beating out “Godzilla Vs. Kong,” which has yet to surpass the $100 million mark with $99.6 million. “A Quiet Place 2” has also asserted its dominance over “The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It,” which creeped past it at last weekend’s box office.
    Though this weekend’s numbers are more subdued than most, there are still plenty of summer blockbusters on the way — notably “F9” on June 25 and “Black Widow” on July 9 — that are sure to continue to revitalize the moviegoing business.

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...ut-1234995028/

With no blockbuster franchise movie release this weekend, once again the box office is showing weakness. In The Heights was expected to bring in $20 million, but it looks like it will finish at number one with less than $15 million. The number one movie last weekend Conjuring fell by a whopping 63%.
    The box office is showing a little weakness during a pandemic while looking pretty healthy in other areas.

Not seeing where the big whoop is.

BANNED

Can’t blame everything on the pandemic, theaters attendance was falling before 2020

Can’t blame everything on the pandemic, theaters attendance was falling before 2020
    Luckily, no one is doing that.

Just accounting for that attendance numbers that are just a little low might be just a little low because thing are not at one hundred percent yet.

Perfectly likely possibility.

BANNED

Another poor weekend at the movies and it’s proving that the theaters is only a safe haven for big franchises and blockbusters. The experts predicted “In The Heights” to make $20 million, surprisingly it only made $11 million. This is because people are only going to theaters to watch big franchise movies and blockbusters, any movie that not in these categories will struggle at the box office. This is a major wake up call and big shakeup to Hollywood. Unfortunately, this very bad news for theaters.

BANNED

I would hope at least that at this point everyone can agree that, if theatrical movies are to end, we now know it won't be COVID-19 that will end them.

Theatrical movies are in no danger from any source, obviously, but it's clear that this disease is the least of its worries.

Another poor weekend at the movies and it’s proving that the theaters is only a safe haven for big franchises and blockbusters. The experts predicted “In The Heights” to make $20 million, surprisingly it only made $11 million. This is because people are only going to theaters to watch big franchise movies and blockbusters, any movie that not in these categories will struggle at the box office. This is a major wake up call and big shakeup to Hollywood. Unfortunately, this very bad news for theaters.
    What is in blue is clearly not the case. Folks have pointed out plenty of "Non-Blockbuster..." films that did just fine earlier in the pandemic.

Accounting for what is in blue being the case? What is in green certainly is not the case.

Predictions being too optimistic for a single film is either a "Major Wake Up Call/Big Shakeup..." or even "Very Bad News..."

And the answer to the original question is for me, we still don't know.
    I think we saw streaming being strong during COVID, but I for one did not see the Studios having their own services compete with the theaters to this extent after they opened. Same day releases, especially HBOMax's, with no premium, will have an impact.
    Will the Studios pull back on this to help the B O? Or will they push streaming further into growing that platform?
    I think BW and Bond will be indicators.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!