Page 113 of 156 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 2338
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Weekends, anybody? Never mind that this "Most Jobs..." bit seemingly leaves out second and third shift workers.

Past that, checked a lot of the "Western Suburbs..." theaters here in Illinois. Plenty of them are open for matinees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    1. Seriously, don't you know most jobs and schools have weekends off? Or holidays, vacations (especially for the school argument, as most blockbusters are summer movies or winter break), and jobs with different hours (like night shifts) are all things. Or how some people trade shifts and days with their coworkers.
    2. Before or during covid? Also, some is not all or even most.
    Now the real world: many of us go to work and school all week, there are many important things we have to take care of when we have the time. Going to a movie is not one of those important things.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Now the real world: many of us go to work and school all week, there are many important things we have to take care of when we have the time. Going to a movie is not one of those important things.
    Really, all 7 days a week, with never a vacation, holiday, or sick day off unless it's to do nothing but housework and taxes and "many important things"? Wow, I guess that no one in my extended family of blood, step, and in-law relatives or any of their friends live in the real world then, nor do any of the people I see when I go to a matinee. Even though all these people are either middle class or poor. We just exist outside the real world, can't ever make a matinee once in all of summer...

Or you know, you're clearly making wild assumptions because you haven't gone to a matinee yourself in a while. There's many, many, many people who show up for matinees, and I can assure you most if not all of them exist in the real world.

BANNED

The problem with the theatrical model is not just one thing. There are a number of reasons why attendance has been dropping for the past 20 years. Streaming alone is not hurting theaters, but a combination things
    1. Movies ain’t as good as they used to be.
    2. Mid budget movies are rare these days, we mostly get expensive blockbusters or small budget movies.
    3. High quality cable and streaming series, which has become our first tier entertainment choice.
    4. Ticket and concession prices are sky high.
    5. Obviously, Covid-19
    6. Unfortunately violence, this one I really really hate. People should feel safe and comfortable going to the movies without some idiot causing trouble.
    7. The theater experience is not great for everyone and some people despise it.
    8. The growth in home entertainment equipment and technology.
    9. Shorter theatrical window
    10. Even competition from video games

Ultimate Member

1. Seriously, don’t you know most jobs and schools are in the day time hours.
    2. Theaters have cut their workforce and hours, some theaters don’t open until 4pm or 5pm
    The ones in TEXAS open at NOON.

Matinee showings stop at 6PM-EVERYDAY including WEEKENDS. So those who don't work weekends can go.

Also it's SUMMER TIME and the majority of school districts are out or will be out by the end of this week.

Also in the USA we can take a DAY off or work or leave EARLY from work.

Also not everyone works the same hours.

Someone who works at 6 PM to 1 AM-would have no issue with going to a 1 pm showing of a movie.

Along with not every business is OPEN every day.

I know Barber shops that do not open on Monday nor does my comic book store and a few restaurants that I know of. And NO Covid had NOTHING to do with it-they were like that for years and in some cases since they opened.

Same with some libraries.

Cinemark Tinseltown in Illinois? Still under five bucks for the first showing on a given day.
    Into Spiderverse only cost me $6.50 for matinee. Heck Black Panther was $6.

BOTH were crowded. Heck Fantastic Four was crowded.

BANNED

Where I live, no theaters is open until 4pm now, they used to open around 8am
    Last edited by luprki; 06-15-2021 at 09:36 PM.

Ours is open all day but only weekends (unless you buy a screening for $100) but is going back up to weekdays as well in two weeks. Can't wait!

BANNED

The problem with the theatrical model is not just one thing. There are a number of reasons why attendance has been dropping for the past 20 years. Streaming alone is not hurting theaters, but a combination things
    1. Movies ain’t as good as they used to be.
    2. Mid budget movies are rare these days, we mostly get expensive blockbusters or small budget movies.
    3. High quality cable and streaming series, which has become our first tier entertainment choice.
    4. Ticket and concession prices are sky high.
    5. Obviously, Covid-19
    6. Unfortunately violence, this one I really really hate. People should feel safe and comfortable going to the movies without some idiot causing trouble.
    7. The theater experience is not great for everyone and some people despise it.
    8. The growth in home entertainment equipment and technology.
    9. Shorter theatrical window
    10. Even competition from video games
    I’ve forgot one
    11. Can’t stop the movie for restroom and concession break.

BANNED

The problem with theatrical movies is the big five studios don’t even try to be creative. All the creativity is in high quality cable and streaming series, even broadcast television shows are better than theatrical movies. Smaller indies movies are more and more going straight to streaming, because they can’t complete with the blockbusters.
    But it not 100% the studios fault, it our fault too. We fans complained that Hollywood is not creative and they give us the same thing over and over. But when Hollywood give us something that is creative and different, we don’t support it, at the same time we are flocking to the movies that we complained about not being creative. Most movies that coming from the big studios are sequels and remakes, because that’s what we demand, even though we say something else.

To answer the question: Will Covid-19 ends theatrical movies?
    No it won’t.

Will a combination of things end theatrical movies?
    Not entirely, but these things will severely hurt the theatrical movie model.
    Last edited by luprki; 06-16-2021 at 10:56 AM.

I’ve forgot one
    Prove it, please.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Also looks like amc really is buying those big closed LA theatres with all it's stock money they got!

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...in-los-angeles

BANNED

It kinda seems like Adam Aron wants AMC to go into bankruptcy.

I’ve forgot one
    That is so "Complete 'First World Problems'..." nonsense that it ain't even funny.

This is not an issue. Never mind an issue that will markedly hurt theater business.

So, we've got what?

One person where this seems to be happening where they live, and a handful of other folks who are pretty sure it isn't happening where they are?

Doesn't sound like much of an issue, to me.

Spectacular Member

Sucks to be you, I got tickets for Black Widow at a Friday 11:30 am showing in Dallas County. Seems like all your "movie theaters are dying" is just about your local theaters not the industry as a whole.
    Also thought that the past year of each state (and sometimes each town) having their own rules, situations, and outcomes with COVID would show that just because one town's theaters are in one situation doesn't mean it's the same everywhere else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PD98 View Post
    Sucks to be you, I got tickets for Black Widow at a Friday 11:30 am showing in Dallas County. Seems like all your "movie theaters are dying" is just about your local theaters not the industry as a whole.
    Also thought that the past year of each state (and sometimes each town) having their own rules, situations, and outcomes with COVID would show that just because one town's theaters are in one situation doesn't mean it's the same everywhere else.
    It doesn’t suck, that’s life
    Last edited by luprki; 06-16-2021 at 06:15 PM.