Page 80 of 156 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 2338
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    No business can survive with only 2% of its products selling. Blockbusters are really less than 2% of movies, it’s is 1.5%, non blockbuster movies are really 98.5%.
    Even big studios are already starting to put their non blockbuster movies on streaming services.
    Not that your argument is actually representative of reality, but in fact any business can survive with only 2% of its products selling, when that 2% makes 2000% of the profits.

There will always be a market for theatrical movies. If the current studios fail, new ones will arise to take their place. But there's no evidence that studios are failing.
    Last edited by green_garnish; 05-11-2021 at 04:10 PM.

No business can survive with only 2% of its products selling. Blockbusters are really less than 2% of movies, it’s is 1.5%, non blockbuster movies are really 98.5%.
    Even big studios are already starting to put their non blockbuster movies on streaming services.
    Thats pretty much the mobile gaming market

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Not that your argument is actually representative of reality, but in fact any business can survive with only 2% of its products selling, when that 2% makes 2000% of the profits.

There will always be a market for theatrical movies. If the current studios fail, new ones will arise to take their place. But there's no evidence that studios are failing.
    And non-blockbuster waters also serve to groom emerging talent and move them to blockbusters when public goodwill makes it make sense. James Wan didn't direct a billion dollar Aquaman movie out of nowhere.

BANNED

But these 3 studios are the ones who is leading the demise of theaters. Disney has already announced they are cutting the theatrical window from 90 days to only 45 days, this is another nail in the coffin to theaters.

BANNED

To start, I agree there will always be a market for theatrical movies. The question is to what capacity. Now to the nitty gritty, you say blockbusters make 2000% of profit (which is mathematically impossible). If that was true, why are non blockbuster movies in theaters at all? My point is if blockbusters alone as you say make 2000% profit there would no good reason for theaters to show smaller movies. The fact they do show smaller movies means theaters need these movies to also make profit.
    Smaller movies ain’t making profit these days. Because of covid even some blockbusters will not get the audience it normally would get. We will see blockbusters do normal business the opening weekend, but will fall off faster than normal, because there is enough people who will still be apprehensive about going back to the movie theaters. That why Disney is cutting short its theatrical window to only 45 days and I expect the other studios will follow suit.
    Last edited by luprki; 05-14-2021 at 01:12 PM.

To start, I agree there will always be a market for theatrical movies. The question is to what capacity. Now to the nitty gritty, you say blockbusters make 2000% of profit (which is mathematically impossible). If that was true, why are non blockbuster movies in theaters at all? My point is if blockbusters alone as you say make 2000% profit there would no good reason for theaters to show smaller movies. The fact they do show smaller movies means theaters need these movies to also make profit.
    Smaller movies ain’t making profit these days. Because of covid even some blockbusters will not get the audience it normally would get. We will see blockbusters do normal business the opening weekend, but will fall off faster than normal, because there is enough people who will still be apprehensive about going back to the movie theaters. That why Disney is cutting short its theatrical window to only 45 days and I expect the other studios will follow suit.
    The only studio that could follow suit is Sony because the other three majors had already made similar deals prior to Disney.

That's not that big of a problem though as modern blockbusters make the biggest share of their income, and that by a wide margin, in the first four weeks anyway.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

The problem with the 45 days is it will turn into 30 days.
    30 days will turn into 15 days.
    15 days will turn into 7 days.
    Then 7 days will turn into 0 days.
    I don’t trust the studios, they are slowing but surely destroying in the movie theaters right in front of our eyes.

BANNED

I say forget about theaters. Just imagine what's going to happen to college and professional sports. They will never come back. Now that people see how great it is to watch football on TV with yellow first down lines superimposed on the field, no one will ever want to pay dozens or hundreds of dollars, or even wait years or decades, to see a sports event in a stadium again.

But these 3 studios are the ones who is leading the demise of theaters. Disney has already announced they are cutting the theatrical window from 90 days to only 45 days, this is another nail in the coffin to theaters.
    Yah, I am not sure why Disney couldn't just pull up the tent pegs on their relationship with theatres at some point. Or just leverage their influence and the market's current crappiness to buy one of them out, actually, and just show Disney movies through that venue. Disney in particular seems to really hate being forced to play nice with non-Disney companies.

I say forget about theaters. Just imagine what's going to happen to college and professional sports. They will never come back. Now that people see how great it is to watch football on TV with yellow first down lines superimposed on the field, no one will ever want to pay dozens or hundreds of dollars, or even wait years or decades, to see a sports event in a stadium again.
    For football and basketball, yes, but I don't think thats true for baseball or hockey. No one has yet figured out how to make TV better than watching those in person at a stadium.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Apple and oranges. Sports and even concerts aren’t the same as movies. Sports and concerts are live events, so there no waiting 45 days. Movies are not live, the same movie in the theaters will be the same exact movie 45 days later watching at home.

Both the NFL and the NBA will be back to pre-COVID numbers this year.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Both the NFL and the NBA will be back to pre-COVID numbers this year.
    Watching any sport at a stadium is always better than tv, because you can see things that you can’t see on tv. When I go to a sporting event I love to see the whole field or court, can’t get this on tv.

From page 77...

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/No...1)#tab=summary

Production Budget: $16,000,000 (worldwide box office is 2.8 times production budget)
    If you have made almost three times your budget?

You made a profit.

There is no valid case for that you did not.