Page 42 of 156 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/12/h...-optimism.html

If you go down to where it says engaging warp speed it says there should be enough 75-90% effective vaccine for everyone in the USA by June.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post

If you go down to where it says engaging warp speed it says there should be enough 75-90% effective vaccine for everyone in the USA by June.
    Enough vaccine and enough people getting it are two different things. Let's hope a more competent Administration is in power then.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Theaters and the theater experience will survive. People love seeing MCU/Jurassic Park-World/Star Wars/etc on the big screen. A future without theaters is just silly.
    But the real question is, whenever we finally get back to normal, what company or whoever is going to snap up all these theaters and theater chains that didn't survive? If AMC does run out of cash, who's going to take over from them? Who are the future players in this business?

That's a real and legitimate question. The belief that everyone is going to go to streaming and theaters will go the way of the dodo I just can't take seriously. But many theaters will be out of business (many already are), so who will buy that property up when theaters can make a profit again?

Anyone have any ideas? I could see a big studio like Disney buying up a chain on the cheap.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post

This is the Trump owned FDA, so I don't believe anything they say.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    This is the Trump owned FDA, so I don't believe anything they say.
    Yeah, every time Trump announces that we've got something, the facts come out that no we don't or are still in progress. Rule of thumb, if Trump says something, believe the exact opposite until proven otherwise.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Non-blockbusters, do you know how many billion dollar blockbusters there were every year? Never mind the still highly profitable non-billion dollar ones. Why would you bother talking about the non-blockbusters as if that's relevant to the health of theaters? Blockbusters were keeping them plenty busy and plenty healthy until covid.

It's like saying a pizzeria is about to go belly under if you ignore pizza sales and only focus on the bread sticks and salads side of the business.
    95% of movies are non-blockbusters

Disney reorganization to focus primary on streaming, link:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/12/disn...-consumer.html
    Last edited by luprki; 10-17-2020 at 02:17 PM.

[QUOTE=luprki;5193259]95% of movies are non-blockbusters
    Yes, but what percent of profits for studios and theaters are blockbusters?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    95% of movies are non-blockbusters

Disney reorganization to focus primary on streaming, link:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/12/disn...-consumer.html
    Doesn't matter how much of movies they represent, but how much of the profit they represent. Pretty sure that they don't represent anywhere near 95% of that.

New york movies are reopening.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/new-yor...23-1234599197/

Also today a bunch of singers did a bunch of youtube livestreams to raise money for movie theatres, broadways and concerts.

BANNED

Ryan Reynolds’ “Free Guy” reportedly going to Disney+
    Wonder Woman 1984 reportedly going to theaters and HBO MAX same day release.

Amazing Member

Source for this? I can't find this info anywhere.

Not surprising, though. Any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Ryan Reynolds’ “Free Guy” reportedly going to Disney+
    Wonder Woman 1984 reportedly going to theaters and HBO MAX same day release.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Anyone have any ideas? I could see a big studio like Disney buying up a chain on the cheap.
    The big mega-venues are a direct result of the growth of the theatre business and meeting that demand. Originally theatres were quite small and intimate, and it remained that way largely for the first 50-60 years of their existence. I could see smaller venues with lower overhead making a comeback. Maybe more intimate with less seating but more of a premium experience? Theatres seem likely to need to do a bit of regrowth back up to where they were after all this.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Bit stupid considering that Disney+ (with both Soul and Mulan coming out properly in December) is far more available at the moment around the world than HBO Max, which is unlikely to come out in the UK anytime soon because of Sky deals. So basically I'll have to figure how where the heck to see it since I have no idea if Cineworld is opening yet, though I guess this might convince them to do so if they can.

Wow, Covid is really going to kill movies as we know it. I wonder if Movie studios think they can put everything back in Pandora's box when this is done. Let say the Theather window is a month is there any movie other than blockbuster that can get you to go to a theater?