Page 152 of 156 FirstFirst ... 52102142148149150151152153154155156 LastLast
Results 2,266 to 2,280 of 2338

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    When I don’t present proof, I hear where is your proof.
    When I present proof, it’s not accepted. lol
    Seems to me people were accepting it just fine, just not in the way you wanted them to.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

BANNED

It’s interesting that streaming is leading the way in the music industry, who would’ve thought that 10 years ago.
    See where I’m going with this?
    TBH I haven't been able to understand where you're going for weeks.

It’s interesting that streaming is leading the way in the music industry, who would’ve thought that 10 years ago.
    But what you presented wasn't proof. If anything, it literally proved the opposite of what you said. People then went on to illustrate how, in detail.

BANNED

I would like to get back discussion of the merits of this thread, I’m not interested in distractions to avoid the subject.
    Technology changes the culture and our behavior. Because of advance technology, things that was normal and things we took for granite is not normal today. Change is hard and there will be always people who fight to keep the status quo, even though it’s a losing battle. Streaming vs Theaters is one of these battle, where the status quo will eventually lose out again.
    My prediction is streaming will be the dominant way we watch movies by 2026. We are already starting to see this with small films.
    Last edited by luprki; 08-10-2021 at 01:03 PM.

I would like to get back discussion of the merits of this thread, I’m not interested in distractions to avoid the subject.
    Technology changes the culture and our behavior. Because of advance technology, things that was normal and things we took for granite is not normal today. Change is hard and there will be always people who fight to keep the status quo, even though it’s a losing battle. Streaming vs Theaters is one of these battle, where the status quo will eventually lose out again.
    My prediction is streaming will be the dominant way we watch movies by 2026. We are already starting to see this with small films.
    And we know that is your opinion now, with nothing to back it up beyond feelings. And we've stated our own views, often based on relatively recent data. So, end of discussion now? Doesn't seem to be anything new.

That’s simply your interpretation. Not all technological changes and breakthroughs are long lasting and/or change anything. There are tons of examples, e.g. Google Glass. Oh, and streaming isn’t new.

And yet live concerts never died, did they? They were, in fact, at an all-time high in revenue pre-pandemic

BANNED

My feeling is that theaters will not lose their dominance to technology change, but to social change. Large swaths of the global population will have to change a basic mindset that they don't want to share the experience with a large social gathering any more. I see no evidence of that happening in 4 years. Or 40 years.

I posted thi in Suicide Squad, but it belongs here.
    It is really hard to figure out what is a success on streaming (the exception is Disney+ charging for new movies.) But it isn't clear for each movie. In general Disney+ has 100 million subscribers at about $8 a month, that is $7.2 billion in gross income per year. That is a lot of money. But against that is their costs. And they have quite a few properties that cost hundreds of millions. Ans a lot of other content they must keep producing. To compare, in 2019 their studio box office was $11 billion. And that was for a lot less content than they are doing for streaming. Not saying they will lose money, but it isn't apples to apples. And even though they will continue to release theatrically, if the box office continues to be weak, that $11 billion will be very hard to make up with just streaming.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

And hbo max same day is done after this year. Deal signed with amc for 45 day theatre window for all wb theatre films next year.

Will disney be next?

https://deadline.com/2021/08/amc-ent...os-1234811729/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I posted thi in Suicide Squad, but it belongs here.
    It is really hard to figure out what is a success on streaming (the exception is Disney+ charging for new movies.) But it isn't clear for each movie. In general Disney+ has 100 million subscribers at about $8 a month, that is $7.2 billion in gross income per year. That is a lot of money. But against that is their costs. And they have quite a few properties that cost hundreds of millions. Ans a lot of other content they must keep producing. To compare, in 2019 their studio box office was $11 billion. And that was for a lot less content than they are doing for streaming. Not saying they will lose money, but it isn't apples to apples. And even though they will continue to release theatrically, if the box office continues to be weak, that $11 billion will be very hard to make up with just streaming.
    It's a very intriguing discussion.

To some extent, the earlier music industry discussion also applies here. The music industry collapse has led to a change in the "accounting of sales" where streaming is now counted as part of sales. But it's a bit dubious because a sale=/=stream and the revenue isn't equal. It's pretty much the same with movies because a stream isn't the same as a customer paying for a ticket.

Costs will also be a real issue for the studios because a lot of creatives (actors, directors e.t.c) are compensated from box office revenue, in the absence of that, the studios will HAVE to bear certain costs by themselves. In the absence of this, the studios will have to share out of the additional premium payment subscriptions (I believe only Disney Plus charges at the moment) which will erode further whatever revenue the studios would have made. I doubt the companies will want to share out of already received subscriptions to compensate the creatives.

The massive costs of production just might not be sustainable with streaming alone. There's a reason why Netflix (despite their colossal subscriber base) unceremoniously guts their big budget "disappointments" like Jupiters Circle and Cursed, the numbers can't justify the cost of production.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    And hbo max same day is done after this year. Deal signed with amc for 45 day theatre window for all wb theatre films next year.

Will disney be next?

https://deadline.com/2021/08/amc-ent...os-1234811729/
    Funny enough, I'd already typed my comment before writing this.

I'm not at all surprised though.

Streaming can't make up for box office revenue, there's just no way for this at the moment.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Funny enough, I'd already typed my comment before writing this.

I'm not at all surprised though.

Streaming can't make up for box office revenue, there's just no way for this at the moment.
    That's the bottom line. It doesn't matter what any of us want in that regard, the industry will not relinquish their revenue unless they have no choice.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

To add to the discussion, what about kids and teens. My brother has two teen girls who don't go to the movies. They look at stuff on the phone. He even has difficulty having them sit for a whole movie at home. I don't know how universal this is, but if teens are giving up on going to the movies, the industry is in trouble.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    To add to the discussion, what about kids and teens. My brother has two teen girls who don't go to the movies. They look at stuff on the phone. He even has difficulty having them sit for a whole movie at home. I don't know how universal this is, but if teens are giving up on going to the movies, the industry is in trouble.
    I know some folks in their 30s who watch movies on their mobiles over several days/ trips, as they do it during commute time. I personally cannot understand that. Reading books or listening to audiobooks like that sure, but movies?