Page 142 of 156 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152 ... LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 2338

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    So yea here is the deal. There seems to be a vocal minority that wanted BW and these other movies to be released in the theater only in this environment. I am not sure why. To prove box office superiority or something. If Disney thought that was the best way to make money, I would have thought they would have done it. But they didn't. And there are people mad at them for that. I don't know why.
    You are in the minority. Many more people watched BW in theatres than at home. Just have a look at the numbers.

And several people have explained it countless times to you why, if you still didn't get it the problem seems to be on your part.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    You are in the minority. Many more people watched BW in theatres than at home. Just have a look at the numbers.

And several people have explained it countless times to you why, if you still didn't get it the problem seems to be on your part.
    I disagree. And you keep acting like Disney is stupid. If they thought releasing this exclusive into the theaters was going to make them the most money they would have. Many people didn't want to go to the theater. They would rather wait, or buy it at home. Im sorry BW didn't make the money you thought it should have at the box office. But we are not living in that day. Its made the most domestic, I don't know why you are not happy with that. That in and of itself is pretty freaking good all things considering.

I disagree.
    Disagreeing with facts is not something that makes a discussion with someone worthwhile.

And stop pretending that Disney execs are always right when it's obvious that they bottled it in this case. I don't get that reasoning. Disney made this decision so we have no reason to criticize it because they are always right? Does this translate to politicians, too, or are Disney execs the only people whose decisions are sacrosanct?

Your stance is even more puzzling as Bob Chapek is still pretty fresh in his position and we yet have to see if he even has what it takes to be a good CEO. So far his start is looking bad and he doesn't have any merits as CEO yet that would grant him the benefit of the doubt.

Other movies that had a different release strategy are making profit in this environment while BW likely won't, so it's legit to say their strategy was a failure and call them out for it. If you feel the need to defend them then come up with facts and arguments, not with claiming that Disney decided that way and thus it has to be the right decision.
    Last edited by chicago_bastard; 08-03-2021 at 01:37 AM.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Many more people watched BW in theatres than at home.
    I have to correct this. What I meant is: The number of people who paid to watch BW in theatres is bigger than the number of people who paid to watch it at home.
    Last edited by chicago_bastard; 08-03-2021 at 01:43 AM.

I have to correct this. What I meant is: The number of people who paid to watch BW in theatres is bigger than the number of people who paid to watch it at home.
    Right there is a colossal issue that most of the "This Woman Should Just Accept A Raw Deal..." crowd seem to just want to avoid.

On top of that Disney most likely broke a contract?

There is a huge "Piracy..." component that likely cost this woman a fair amount of what she would have made off of the "Theatrical..." end.

She was robbed twice.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Not these days
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rate-customers

HBO Max Frustrates Subscribers With Glitchy Streaming Tech
    Hershberger has two young kids, ages 1 and 3, and relies on the app to keep them entertained at home while he does chores and changes diapers. But lately, he said, HBO Max has been “a train wreck.” When he opens the app on his Roku, it typically crashes three times before successfully streaming an episode of “Sesame Street” or “Looney Tunes” — much to the frustration of his impatient toddler.

“Sometimes the sound goes way forward and the picture tries to catch up, then it crashes,” said Hershberger, 35, a librarian who lives in Red Bank, New Jersey. “It’s easily the worst app we’ve ever had on the Roku TV.”
    Hershberger is not the only irritated customer. For months, subscribers have been complaining about HBO Max’s technical shortcomings, particularly on Roku — one of the most popular streaming devices, with 54 million active accounts. A post in December on Roku’s community forum about how HBO Max freezes and crashes now stretches 37 pages long and is filled with more than 360 replies. Similar angry comments from HBO Max subscribers have flooded Twitter and Reddit.
    There’s no way to determine precisely how often streaming services crash, or whether HBO Max does so more than its peers, because media companies don’t release such data publicly, Rayburn said. Disruptions may be an inevitable part of the streaming era because the infrastructure of the internet is not as reliable as traditional television, he said.

“As consumers, we give up some reliability when it comes to streaming services, and there’s nothing we can do about it,” Rayburn said.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Another reason why I would rather wait for the Blu-ray instead of seeing it streamed if theaters were gone. Which the latter won't be, of course.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

How in the heck do you know that more people watched it in the theaters than at home. Seriously how the heck do you know that.

I suggest you "look at the Numbers". BW opening weekend was actually better than a lot of Marvel's earlier releases. Yet it did significantly less in the following weeks. Why? Because the audience that would have followed had already seen it in Disney+. Not only that they only had to pay for the equivalent of 1 and a half tickets (or 2 kids tickets) for a family of 4 or 5 to watch it.

I've seen some state that Disney wouldn't have done it of it made them less money. Of course they wouldn't and that is why they did. While they lost potential cinema revenue they gained a proportion of that in streaming rentals. As the money they lost that way also mentioned they didn't have to pay Scarlett Johanson as much (since her contract pays her for cinematic returns not streaming - the whole reason she's started legal action) it saved them even more. Added to which they made even more because of what ever subscription sign ups they got because of the movie (which also means potential more rentals of the next movie).

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

How in the heck do you know that more people watched it in the theaters than at home. Seriously how the heck do you know that.
    ...simple math?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    I suggest you "look at the Numbers". BW opening weekend was actually better than a lot of Marvel's earlier releases. Yet it did significantly less in the following weeks. Why? Because the audience that would have followed had already seen it in Disney+. Not only that they only had to pay for the equivalent of 1 and a half tickets (or 2 kids tickets) for a family of 4 or 5 to watch it.

I've seen some state that Disney wouldn't have done it of it made them less money. Of course they wouldn't and that is why they did. While they lost potential cinema revenue they gained a proportion of that in streaming rentals. As the money they lost that way also mentioned they didn't have to pay Scarlett Johanson as much (since her contract pays her for cinematic returns not streaming - the whole reason she's started legal action) it saved them even more. Added to which they made even more because of what ever subscription sign ups they got because of the movie (which also means potential more rentals of the next movie).

Sounds totally logical to me!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Global box office divided by average ticket price means there have been 23,076,923 individual theater tickets sold so far.
    Disney said there were 30 million dollars generated by rentals...which means there were one million rentals. The average US family size is 3.5 people so lets say that 3.5 million people saw it the first week...they haven't released numbers for the following weeks and logic says they're probably much less than the first week as if they were not then surely Disney would have released them to great fanfare, but for the sake of the argument let's say that it remained the same for each of the following weeks...making it 10.5 million people which is not only still less than the box office but is also likely much higher than the actual amount because as I said I'm spotting them the same number of rentals for each week in order to get the highest possible number of people for the sake of the argument.

I don't understand where the confusion is coming from.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 08-03-2021 at 07:59 AM.

BANNED

Stop making things up. Shang-Chi is still scheduled for a 45-day window so this is fake news.
    Black Widow was 45 days too, until it wasn’t. Do you seriously think that BW is the only Disney movie that will have a 33 day window?
    Last edited by luprki; 08-03-2021 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post

You could have spared you the time to write this post if you read my subsequent posting where I corrected the statement you responded to.

Same applies to you. As we can't know how many people watched it at home without paying I specified my statement. And that is how I meant it in the first place as it is irrelevant how many people saw it without paying for it, only the ones who pay are relevant for Disney, and in that regard cinemagoers by far outspend the streaming viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Black Widow was 45 days too, until it wasn’t. Do you seriously think that BW is the only Disney movie that will have a 33 day window?
    BW had a zero-day theatrical window as it was released for streaming on the day of its start. The second digital release is irrelevant as the movie never had an exclusive theatrical window to begin with.

What I believe doesn't matter, so far all Disney movies of the current year have either a zero-day window or a 45-day window so your claim that they changed it to a 33-day window isn't correct.

Astonishing Member

You could have spared you the time to write this post if you read my subsequent posting where I corrected the statement you responded to.

Same applies to you. As we can't know how many people watched it at home without paying I specified my statement. And that is how I meant it in the first place as it is irrelevant how many people saw it without paying for it, only the ones who pay are relevant for Disney, and in that regard cinemagoers by far outspend the streaming viewers.

BW had a zero-day theatrical window as it was released for streaming on the day of its start. The second digital release is irrelevant as the movie never had an exclusive theatrical window to begin with.

What I believe doesn't matter, so far all Disney movies of the current year have either a zero-day window or a 45-day window so your claim that they changed it to a 33-day window isn't correct.
    I honestly don't understand your argument. Are you arguing Disney should not have offered same day streaming so they could get more people to go to the theater? Why is this important to you?