Page 136 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 2338
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Again you are arguing that she should get a certain amount of money based on projected box office. What if this thing would have made 1.5 billion? Then Scarjo suing for 50 million is getting under paid. In your opinion Disney should have released this straight into the theater, not give their fans a choice, to honor Scarjo. Then give her a percentage of that box office. While screwing over the fans who did not want to go to the theater in a pandemic. But no one knows what this would have made. No one. People can project. But thats it.
    That's literally what the whole thing is about...what aren't you understanding?

This is a very basic situation in contract disputes...it happens literally everyday and there's nothing strange about it.

Again, it has nothing to do with screwing fans...you're conflating your own personal issues with something that is completely unrelated.

What the issue is about is that she was contracted to be paid x amount plus a cut of the over all profits. Disney decided to release the film a different way that has (in the plaintiff's eyes) diminished the profits and thus her expected pay and she feels that her compensation should be then renegotiated to a higher rate.

And it's not some weird first of its kind issue, WB found itself in the same kettle back in December when it announced day and date to HBO Max, except when the talent started balking they went to the negotiating table instead of drawing a line in the sand.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Compensate her what based on some hypothetical box office that may have happened? Sorry I have to run Ill pick up convo later. Just my opinions no offense to anyone.
    No offense to you either, you're entitled to your opinion...it's just that it doesn't appear to be a very educated one. Looking at hypothetical situations, weighing them and then coming up with a settlement that both parties can stomach is exactly what contract negotiations are all about. It's a very normal and basic situation that occurs everyday in boardrooms and courtrooms not just here but literally all around the world.

It's that basic of a concept...and to think that this is some weird issue that somebody is in the wrong to want to negotiate on is like trying to suggest that the sky is green. Sure, that's you're opinion...but you're objectively wrong.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 07-30-2021 at 07:35 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

So if they are not making as much money as releasing it in the box office why did they release it same day streaming. Is Disney stupid? Why are they doing it with Jungle Cruise? I am not the other guy saying the theaters will die. But Disney as a corporation right now in this environment is giving its customers a choice. That to me is a good thing. Because I don't want to go to the theater right now.
    You don't have to go the theaters if you don't want. That is your choice. As for Disney being stupid, I kind of think they are. I mean, it's not like the companies couldn't have had their movies on cable first-run as far back as the '80s, yet didn't. Yeah, I know the TVs weren't as good back then (though stereo was around), but the movies weren't as good (visual and sound quality) back then, too.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Because there is a freaking pandemic going on. And there are a lot of people dying. If this is some moral crusade to honor contracts regardless of the situation I can't be down with that.
    Fine. Disney could have honored her contract by waiting until the pandemic was over to release BW. Problem solved!

BANNED

So if they are not making as much money as releasing it in the box office why did they release it same day streaming. Is Disney stupid? Why are they doing it with Jungle Cruise? I am not the other guy saying the theaters will die. But Disney as a corporation right now in this environment is giving its customers a choice. That to me is a good thing. Because I don't want to go to the theater right now.
    I’m assuming I’m the other guy, but I don’t think theaters will completely die, they’ll be around for blockbusters.
    Everything else you posted on this thread is 100% correct.

I’m was happy to have the choice and I choose to see BW at home
    Seems that some people think contracts are set in stone. Well they are not, there are extenuating circumstances that may happen during the contract time frame. We are going through a global pandemic, something we haven’t seen in 100 years. People lost life, jobs, homes and businesses. ScarJo just can’t ignore the world around her and cry about still wanting her’s. Even Disney has lost billions during this pandemic. She is looking like a spoil elitist who has already made $20 million on her movie. She needs to suck it up like will all have to do.
    BW has been delayed numerous times, Disney had to eventually get the movie out and recognize the hesitation of some moviegoers. I hate defending the Evil Mouse, but they did nothing wrong here. Everybody is losing something in this pandemic, contract or no contract.
    Last edited by luprki; 07-30-2021 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    I’m assuming I’m the other guy, but I don’t think theaters will completely die, they’ll be around for blockbusters.

Seems that some people think contracts are set in stone. Well they are not, there are extenuating circumstances that may happen during the contract time frame. We are going through a global pandemic, something we haven’t seen in 100 years. People lost life, jobs, homes and businesses. ScarJo just can’t ignore the world around her and cry about still wanting her money. Even Disney has lost billions during this pandemic. She is looking like a spoil elitist who has already made $20 million on her movie. She needs to suck it up like will all have to do.
    If Disney's top stars decide to go elsewhere (especially to a non-streaming film company), what then? It's not like they have to stay - heck, even if it's in their contracts, they can just ignore it, right?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    If Disney's top stars decide to go elsewhere (especially to a non-streaming film company), what then? It's not like they have to stay - heck, even if it's in their contracts, they can just ignore it, right?
    They could leave if they are extenuating circumstances that directly effect they job.

They could leave if they are extenuating circumstances that directly effect they job.
    But Disney will still have to pay Scarlett monetary restitution. She isn't going to lose in court, which will affect streaming down the road.

Astonishing Member

Seems that some people think contracts are set in stone. Well they are not, there are extenuating circumstances that may happen during the contract time frame. We are going through a global pandemic, something we haven’t seen in 100 years. People lost life, jobs, homes and businesses. ScarJo just can’t ignore the world around her and cry about still wanting her’s. Even Disney has lost billions during this pandemic. She is looking like a spoil elitist who has already made $20 million on her movie. She needs to suck it up like will all have to do.
    BW has been delayed numerous times, Disney had to eventually get the movie out and recognize the hesitation of some moviegoers. I hate defending the Evil Mouse, but they did nothing wrong here. Everybody is losing something in this pandemic, contract or no contract.

Yea thanks. This is coming down to people arguing and scarjo arguing that 20 million isn't enough. And other here seem upset it wasn't just released just in theaters. I mean we can even leave marvel out of this and take Jungle cruise as an example. If the rock and others signed a similar contract and they release it in the movies and it makes less than 100 million dollars in this environment without streaming. You think they are gonna be happy about that? Then they will say you never should have released this movie in a pandemic and screwed us. There is no winning this.

BANNED

Most work contracts come with a disclaimer stating the company has the right to manage, alter, adjust or circumvent the contract do to extenuating circumstances. I almost sure Disney’s high end lawyers put this disclaimer in every contract. ScarJo doesn’t have a chance in court, but I think she knows that. I think she will be pushing for a settlement out of court. Disney probably will do this only for PR reasons, because the law is on their side.
    Last edited by luprki; 07-30-2021 at 12:17 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yeah, there's really no way F9 would have made more than BW two years ago. Anybody making that bet would have lost big.
    People overseas really love that Fast Franchise. I think F9 would have still beat BW WW but not domestically two years ago.

BANNED

All Broadway Theaters and Playhouses in L.A. are implementing a proof of vaccination requirement to attend a play. It wouldn’t surprise me if movie theater chains do the same.

Most work contracts come with a disclaimer stating the company has the right to manage, alter, adjust or circumvent the contract do to extenuating circumstances. I almost sure Disney’s high end lawyers put this disclaimer in every contract. ScarJo doesn’t have a chance in court, but I think she knows that. I think she will be pushing for a settlement out of court. Disney probably will do this only for PR reasons, because the law is on their side.
    Unlike how they continually violate the contracts they absorbed when they took over Lucasfilm and stopped paying book royalties to writers.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Paramount has cancelled the planned September 17th roll out for the Clifford The Big Red Dog movie. Article Link.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Unlike how they continually violate the contracts they absorbed when they took over Lucasfilm and stopped paying book royalties to writers.
    Probably wasn’t a violation. Always read the disclaimers and fine print before signing any contract.