Page 131 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3181121127128129130131132133134135141 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,965 of 2338
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    I’m only speaking from my personal experience, someone else’s experience is irrelevant.

Theaters having better picture and sound than home entertainment is so 20th Century.
    Are you seriously suggesting you've spent several tens of thousands of dollars on a home entertainment system? And that other people routinely do?

That's rather like suggesting a good enough home sound system will beat a concert.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    The biggest issue isn't even the individual home theater setup, it's the quality of the stream. No streaming service shows movies in perfect quality so it doesn't matter if you have the best home theater system in the world, you just won't get the best quality by streaming a movie. First of all, no streaming service is providing true Dolby Atmos sound, they have only fake Dolby Atmos with a DD+ kernel instead of a TrueHD kernel and that is a clear difference in quality. Furthermore the streaming services adjust the picture quality because they have limited bitrates so the picture also isn't perfect.

So everyone who is saying he gets the same or even better quality by streaming a movie at home is lying to himself.
    Exactly. To illustrate, my wife and I were watching Toy Story 2 last year on Disney+ when our internet kicked out. We put in the blu-ray and the side-by-side comparison was insane. Everything was so much crisper because we didn't have to deal with refresh rates and buffer speeds. Even with the best internet, you're still not getting the best picture streaming. I would say this helps prove his point, but he's not talking about blu-rays and older movies, he's specifically talking about first run streaming.

You're always going to have a better picture when not streaming and that is a clear advantage to theaters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Exactly. To illustrate, my wife and I were watching Toy Story 2 last year on Disney+ when our internet kicked out. We put in the blu-ray and the side-by-side comparison was insane. Everything was so much crisper because we didn't have to deal with refresh rates and buffer speeds. Even with the best internet, you're still not getting the best picture streaming. I would say this helps prove his point, but he's not talking about blu-rays and older movies, he's specifically talking about first run streaming.

You're always going to have a better picture when not streaming and that is a clear advantage to theaters.
    Theaters stream to a large extent these days. Also, I have the HD version of The Avengers. I rarely watch it, because there's no distinct difference between that and the Disney+ experience with my internet connection

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    There are more movie customers in the world besides you, you know?
    To me, they are irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Are you seriously suggesting you've spent several tens of thousands of dollars on a home entertainment system? And that other people routinely do?

That's rather like suggesting a good enough home sound system will beat a concert.
    I’m not suggesting that at all.

BANNED

I’m only speaking from my personal experience, someone else’s experience is irrelevant.

Theaters having better picture and sound than home entertainment is so 20th Century.
    To me, they are irrelevant.

I’m not suggesting that at all.
    So what are you suggesting?

BANNED

So what are you suggesting?
    I’m not suggesting anything, I’m just saying I like my home entertainment center better than the theaters. Why is anyone having a problem with my experience? My experience has nothing to do with someone else’s experience.
    Last edited by luprki; 07-22-2021 at 06:52 PM.

BANNED

I’m not suggesting anything, I’m just saying I like my home entertainment center better than the theaters. Why is anyone having a problem with my experience? My experience has nothing to do with someone else’s experience.
    When you make statements like the first one, it kinda sounds like you're speaking for the majority.

BANNED

When you make statements like the first one, it kinda sounds like you're speaking for the majority.
    We all make statements on this forum, including you. You either agree or disagree.
    There is nowhere my statement suggesting I’m speaking for the majority.
    Last edited by luprki; 07-22-2021 at 07:45 PM.

Theaters stream to a large extent these days. Also, I have the HD version of The Avengers. I rarely watch it, because there's no distinct difference between that and the Disney+ experience with my internet connection
    Theaters that stream their movies? Certainly not to a large extent if at all. They usually get digital copies on a hard drive they put into their projector, but that has nothing to do with streaming.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

We all make statements on this forum, including you. You either agree or disagree.
    You're talking about the industry landscape as a whole and using assumptions from your own personal experience to try to analyze the entire industry (''someone else’s experience is irrelevant''). I would say that makes very little sense.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Your statement was that theaters having better picture and quality sound quality than home theaters is "20th century" isn't just speaking to your own personal experience(which is dubious at best and difficult to support and to be taken seriously) it's a statement about a much larger group. And if you had actual facts to back up such a claim it would be something people could engage with you on...but you don't have anything to support your claim which is why you simply get called out on saying ridiculous stuff.

Here's the obvious problem there...

What you posted?

It inevitably leads to -

A single person seems to care about how explosions are equalized...

Is that person essentially a needle in a haystack when it comes to if streaming is putting a dent in the business that theaters do?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    You're talking about the industry landscape as a whole and using assumptions from your own personal experience to try to analyze the entire industry (''someone else’s experience is irrelevant''). I would say that makes very little sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Your statement was that theaters having better picture and quality sound quality than home theaters is "20th century" isn't just speaking to your own personal experience(which is dubious at best and difficult to support and to be taken seriously) it's a statement about a much larger group. And if you had actual facts to back up such a claim it would be something people could engage with you on...but you don't have anything to support your claim which is why you simply get called out on saying ridiculous stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Here's the obvious problem there...

What you posted?

It inevitably leads to -
    All this is what is called nitpicking. How come you guys don’t say what you believe about the future of theaters, instead of attacking my beliefs? That’s doesn’t add to the discussion. But the statement about I’m not just speaking to my personal experience is weird, because I can only speak about my personal experience and I can’t speak for someone else’s experience. But even if I was speaking for the majority as someone said earlier, who cares and why is it an issue anyway.

On another note: I remember a time when the norm for second weekend office dropped 45% to 55%, now the norm is close to a 70% drop.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

All this is what is called nitpicking. How come you guys don’t say what you believe about the future of theaters, instead of attacking my beliefs? That’s doesn’t add to the discussion. But the statement about I’m not just speaking to my personal experience is weird, because I can only speak about my personal experience and I can’t speak for someone else’s experience. But even if I was speaking for the majority as someone said earlier, who cares and why is it an issue anyway.

On another note: I remember a time when the norm for second weekend office dropped 45% to 55%, now the norm is close to a 70% drop.
    It's not nit picking...it's a basic statement about how flawed your comment was. And who cares about if you were speaking for the majority(which you were)? I mean if you think we should just be able to lie through our teeth with out any kind of rational thinking behind our points and that's how you think a conversation should be held then you have a very strange view on how discussions should work.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's not nit picking...it's a basic statement about how flawed your comment was. And who cares about if you were speaking for the majority(which you were)? I mean if you think we should just be able to lie through our teeth with out any kind of rational thinking behind our points and that's how you think a conversation should be held then you have a very strange view on how discussions should work.
    This is exactly what I’m talking about, you adding nothing to the discussion. This thread is not about me.

P.S. Another weak weekend box office total.