Page 15 of 156 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

Them not enforcing mask probably has more to do with th the fact most theaters make most of their profits off food and drink than avoiding "controversy".

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Whoever the person at AMC was who convinced them that not requiring masks was the way to avoid controversy, ought to be fired.

Of course, that would just mean he gets a head start on his co-workers in the unemployment line.
    That would be Adam Aron, the CEO.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Them not enforcing mask probably has more to do with th the fact most theaters make most of their profits off food and drink than avoiding "controversy".
    Their words, not mine.

AMC has reversed their decision. Will now require masks.

Realized the anti mask Trumpers are idiots and a small minority. While no masks means most people won't go.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Wearing a mask doesnt prevent a person from eating or drinking

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    AMC has reversed their decision. Will now require masks.
    Damn! That foolish stance didn’t even last a full day. Talk about a quick mea culpa.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Glad to see AMC reverse their decision on the mask, but their is no way in hell I’m going back to a movie theater anytime soon. I can wait two and a half months to watch the same movie at home, where it’s safe.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    AMC won’t be enforcing masks so as to avoid any controversy.
    They're going to find out people dying from the virus from going to their venues is vastly more controversial.

Amazing Member

I've got a feeling Mulan might get rescheduled again.

Can you even imagine a responsible parent taking their kids to see a movie in the middle of all this *flails arms about* everything?

I can't.

As someone from southern California but who now lives in what you would call middle America. There is a huge difference in how people are reacting here and in big cities. Here people will be back in theaters as soon as they open. Only place I see people wear masks is at Cost Co but that's because they won't let you in without one. But yea people take theyre kids everywhere here still. Parks and pools are full of kids. They do have special times at certain stores where only elderly people are allowed in but thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    As someone from southern California but who now lives in what you would call middle America. There is a huge difference in how people are reacting here and in big cities. Here people will be back in theaters as soon as they open. Only place I see people wear masks is at Cost Co but that's because they won't let you in without one. But yea people take theyre kids everywhere here still. Parks and pools are full of kids. They do have special times at certain stores where only elderly people are allowed in but thats about it.
    On that...

I went on a quick trip to the grocery store Thursday night. On the Southwest corner of the overall lot that the store sits on, there is a McDonalds. At about nine pm on a Thursday, they had a lot that about four carloads of kids had turned into an improvised hang spot after picking something up at the drive through.

No masks to be seen on any of them.

I don't really see those kids being in any hurry to where a mask if a business isn't dictating that they do so.

Yeah, i tend to agree with this. How you gonna munch on popcorn and slurp soda thru a straw while wearing a mask? And if people can't eat/drink due to masks, how do the theaters make any money?

I suppose it would handled as it is in restaurants, with people wearing masks until they are seated at the table or somesuch. Seems to defeat the purpose to me, but i suppose every little bit of mask-wearing helps. it would be nice if people could stop resisting so much and just get used to wearing masks indoors or in crowded settings outdoors, i foresee them being worn by sensible people for the foreseeable future since who knows when a vaccine is coming. But unfortunately there is a large contingent that views it as an affront to personal liberty, never mind the possibility of infecting others because you have COVID but are asymptomatic.

Retired

The new orders to wear masks don't replace the previous orders from the C.D.C. Socially distance, keep two metres apart, don't gather in large groups, stay within your own pod (family and friends you share space with on a daily basis), don't touch your face, wash your hands. Wearing a mask can prevent you spreading the virus to others.

So when you show up at the theatre, I expect there will be a plexiglass barrier at the cashpoint. By wearing a mask, you indicate that you're willing to follow the rules--it's an easy way to filter out the people that are going to be a problem. But the mask isn't protecting you--it's giving everyone else a level of comfort. So outside the screening room, you're wearing the mask and protecting others from your ejections. Once you're in the seat with your pod, you're not endangering others, because there's two metres distance between your group and everyone else. The only problem you present is that your germs are getting on surfaces which will have to be cleaned after you leave.

So as long as you're wearing a mask in the lobby of the theatre, when you buy your popcorn and when you go to the washroom, it's not hurting anyone if you take off the mask to eat your popcorn when you're in your seat.

Isn't this just common sense?

Amazing Member

Common sense, sure. That's something America has always had in abundance. "America: Apple Pie, Baseball, and Common Sense."

I think you might be thinking of the pamphlet by Thomas Paine? It was mentioned in the musical "Hamilton."

But I'll accept your premise. So you're in the theater. You're watching the movie. Your mask is off. You're eating your popcorn.

BOOM.

One of those funky, unpopped corn husks (you know the one) makes it's way into your throat.

You cough.

You cough again.

You reach for your beverage. Coughing. And coughing. And coughing.

Oh!

And you're currently asymptomatic for Covid-19. You don't show any signs of it.

But you have it. And you will show signs. Soon.

After the movie, I mean. Once you've gotten home.

And given it to everyone else in the theater because your mask was off just so you could enjoy some of that sweet, sweet, overpriced popcorn.

Yes, friend.

Common sense.

(Edit: Maybe I don't mean to sound so skeptical. Maybe I do. I've worked in a theater for the last three years where... well, let's just say that when we go back, there's going to be a lot of guests who are going to want to talk about how it was all a "hoax." And how it's already gone already, because they heard someone on television - a person in considerable Political Power, at the moment - told them so).
    Last edited by willtupper; 06-20-2020 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Worried my reply was snotty.