Page 116 of 156 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 2338

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    This isn’t the same issue, I’m talking about attendance, not gross.
    But if you what to talk about gross you have to remember that ticket prices are 3 times lower in 2002.
    This is truly mindblowing. You are talking about facts when actually you have not once mentioned a true fact in your whole posting history in this thread. You are just making up things you believe are true without even bothering to check them. You know a thing called google exists? So no, the ticket prices weren't three times lower in 2002, you just made up that number. So do not wonder why nobody is bothered to dispute your facts because you never even stated any true facts in the first place.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    You may have never said ,"the sky is falling" but yours posts have been apocalyptic in tone which equates to saying the same thing so just own it. And the thrust of your posts in no way matches the small drop in ticket numbers...and it is a small drop. The total population of the world is 7.6 Billion people...15% of which live in the so called "First World" which equates to just shy of 2 Billion people, which means that just about half of the people in that "first world" went and saw a movie last year which is no small feat and is statistically not really any smaller than the 1.5 Billion who saw movies in 2002. Now there are obviously theaters in other countries outside the "first world" but not nearly to the extent there are in those more developed nations which is why the comparison in population terms is applicable.

Let's put it another way, say I take a big bar of chocolate(Why chocolate? Because it's my thought experiment and I like chocolate) and I cut a piece off of it and weigh it and it's exactly 1.5 pounds, now I cut off another piece and it weighs 1.3 pounds and then I take the two pieces and I switch them around and around like a shell game before handing them to you. Can you tell me by weight alone which piece is larger just by how they feel in your hands?

If you're honest, you know the answer is no.

And it's the same whether you're talking pounds of chocolate or number of people who bought movie tickets; 1.3 and 1.5 just aren't that different. Sure, there are graphs on movie ticket sales that show a big decline...but that's just the way the graph is drawn. Realistically that line isn't some big jagged affair...it's basically a straight line.
    Just make your point, your opinion on my tone is irrelevant.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Just make your point, your opinion on my tone is irrelevant.
    So you weren't trying to make it seem like the movie theater business was in drastic decline?

If that wasn't what you were trying to express then you weren't being very clear.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    This is truly mindblowing. You are talking about facts when actually you have not once mentioned a true fact in your whole posting history in this thread. You are just making up things you believe are true without even bothering to check them. You know a thing called google exists? So no, the ticket prices weren't three times lower in 2002, you just made up that number. So do not wonder why nobody is bothered to dispute your facts because you never even stated any true facts in the first place.
    It my not be 3x but it’s still a huge increase, the exact number is 1.6 times or 63% increase in ticket prices which still clearly makes my argument.

It my not be 3x but it’s still a huge increase, the exact number is 1.6 times or 63% increase in ticket prices which still clearly makes my argument.
    It isn't actually a huge increase though, the cumulative price change due to inflation over that period was 49%, so really the price has only gone up by 14%...which isn't a whole lot.

BANNED

So you weren't trying to make it seem like the movie theater business was in drastic decline?

If that wasn't what you were trying to express then you weren't being very clear.
    I must admit I understand the confusion, I’ve posted things like streaming will be the dominant way we watch movie in five year, but that’s just my opinion, not a fact.
    The part about box office attendance is dropping is a fact and I was just giving my opinion on why this is happening.

I must admit I understand the confusion, I’ve posted things like streaming will be the dominant way we watch movie in five year, but that’s just my opinion, not a fact.
    The part about box office attendance is dropping is a fact and I was just giving my opinion on why this is happening.
    So if you see the confusion then you're not trying to say there is anything to be alarmed about in terms of theater attendance?

BANNED

It isn't actually a huge increase though, the cumulative price change due to inflation over that period was 49%, so really the price has only gone up by 14%...which isn't a whole lot.
    That’s still higher than the inflation rate, which make the 2019 number look better than it actually is.

BANNED

So if you see the confusion then you're not trying to say there is anything to be alarmed about in terms of theater attendance?
    Well there is two different issues here.
    One is about theaters attendance in recent years. The other is about the future of the theaters, which may have to do with studio’s decisions.

That’s still higher than the inflation rate, which make the 2019 number look better than it actually is.
    ...only slightly higher though. I've never seen 14% called a "huge increase" by anyone, anywhere for any reason.

One is about theaters attendance in recent years. The other is about the future of the theaters.
    That doesn't clear up the issue though, did you mean to portray the difference in attendance as a dramatic change with a big impact on the future or not?

I’ve been gone for a couple of days, I see nothing has changed. People wants to criticize, but have no agreement supporting their side.
    He movie industry is changing and is moving away from the theatrical model, this can’t be disputed. The box office has been dropping since 2002, this is fact, you can’t dispute facts.
    I gave reasons why I think this is happening and I will stand by these reasons. So instead of criticizing, will someone give me their opinion on why the box office has been dropping.
    There are plenty of reputable articles that are easy to find supporting this fact that box office has been dropping in recent years.
    My opinion is that it is an utter non-issue that someone seems intent on attempting to turn into a legitimate issue.

Be either of the metrics we could actually use(Money/Attendance...)?

There is no legitimate issue.

BANNED

...only slightly higher though. I've never seen 14% called a "huge increase" by anyone, anywhere for any reason.
    14% is a lot, heck 4% is a lot.
    Anything over the inflation rate is a huge increase.

That doesn't clear up the issue though, did you mean to portray the difference in attendance as a dramatic change with a big impact on the future or not?
    One issue is about the past and what already happened.
    Second issue is about the future and what may or may not happen.
    Can’t get any clearer than that.
    Last edited by luprki; 06-24-2021 at 02:51 PM.

One is about theaters attendance in recent years. The other is about the future of the theaters, which may have to do with studio’s decisions.
    Which any realistic look at the actual numbers will easily tell you is a non-issue.

14% is a lot, heck 4% is a lot.
    Anything over the inflation rate is a huge increase.

By that math?

The attendance increase in 2018 over 2017 was more than "A Lot..."