Page 44 of 156 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I believe that you are seriously underestimating just how much kids just do not care.

Past that?

Illinois is really racking up the numbers, and the nearest Cinemark theater still had a half-full lot(sometimes more...) as of Tuesday.
    But are kids enough to provide the billion dollar box office that these blockbusters are expected to make? I'm not convinced of that. And i'm also guessing if the kids are given an alternative way of viewing movies that is cheaper than the theaters (such as VOD or via a streaming service subscription), they would go for that. Just my opinion though

Retired

I know that some movies are in production, but I don't imagine it's a high volume, especially with all the restrictions and procedures they have to follow. If movie theatres do open up by next summer, they are going to need new movies to show. Holding back the stock of movies now, would give the producers product to release six months from now. If all the content is dumped onto the public now, how many new movies are going to be ready for theatrical release in the post-pandemic era?

I imagine they will also re-release some of the movies that they tried this year like Tenet Also some of the Disney+ only movies for everyone else to see like Mulan and Soul.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    But are kids enough to provide the billion dollar box office that these blockbusters are expected to make? I'm not convinced of that. And i'm also guessing if the kids are given an alternative way of viewing movies that is cheaper than the theaters (such as VOD or via a streaming service subscription), they would go for that. Just my opinion though
    One guy's take...

It might not be as "Either"/"Or" as that.

While I'd tend to agree that in the long run kids won't do that, I tend to doubt that they actually need to. More like they just need to provide some revenue in the time until a more normal status quo is realistic.

That Cinemark theater that I mentioned?

Before things went sideways, older folks from the assisted living facility across the street from it were a noticeable element of the customers who frequented it.

While I don't know that they come back right away? I'm also not so sure that the pandemic can completely wipe away their particular relationship with a film being something you go out to see.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    People are going to go to theaters the moment it is declared safe enough and "bigger" movies are released, like how people flocked to restaurants and bars the moment they were allowed to have people inside, just like gyms and salons. It may take some time to be like it was before the pandemic started, but I'm sure that theaters will come back.
    While Tenet didn't do that well in the states, but how do you think Wonder Woman 1984 will do since it will be released in theaters on Christmas Day. And since (last I heard) 53% of Americans are still planning on get-togethers for Thanksgiving instead of single-house dinners and virtual get-togethers, I can easily see even more people going to the theatres to see it instead of doing HBOMax.

Quote Originally Posted by PD98 View Post
    People are going to go to theaters the moment it is declared safe enough and "bigger" movies are released, like how people flocked to restaurants and bars the moment they were allowed to have people inside, just like gyms and salons. It may take some time to be like it was before the pandemic started, but I'm sure that theaters will come back.
    While Tenet didn't do that well in the states, but how do you think Wonder Woman 1984 will do since it will be released in theaters on Christmas Day. And since (last I heard) 53% of Americans are still planning on get-togethers for Thanksgiving instead of single-house dinners and virtual get-togethers, I can easily see even more people going to the theatres to see it instead of doing HBOMax.
    Tend to agree with this take.

Bars and restaurants were doing pretty legit business once Illinois finally go into the closest thing to the "Final..." stage of reopening.

The only real exception was music venues that just essentially said "Actually, We'll Open Back Up When We Can At Least Get Into The Black By Being Open..."

Incredible Member

Personally I think theaters are here to stay but I think covid has accelerated their restructuring. Wonder Woman releasing isn't surprising because there is too much unknown still on when the BO will be good again. People also need to understand that the marketing budget was already spent and to move the date means spending more money on marketing to get people excited for it again, which could be anywhere from 50-100 million extra on top of what's already been spent.The best decision imo right now was just to release on HBO Max to at least try to increase subscribers on a new service that is part of your long term strategy. Not to mention, 2021 is loaded with films now so a long run next year isn't even a sure thing anymore even if demand returns to normal.

Also as far as restructuring is concerned, i think that we will see fewer movie theaters but have a more luxurious experience (ie catered food, leather reclining seats with heat warmers, bigger events, etc) and with that we may see an uptick in ticket price (maybe $20 per person). This may be a good opportunity to close the less profitable or run down theaters and reduce costs. Another big change is we may only see big budget films or highly anticipated films in the theaters after covid. I think there is more benefit to streaming platforms for lower budgeted films and that may be the future for some films but not all.

Black Widow was fortunate that alot of the marketing hadn't really started on it yet and so they can market later without adding more to the marketing budget. With Disney not really entertaining the idea of Black Widow being on Disney+ like Mulan, that tells us they think\know that more money will be made at the BO. I still maintain that Mulan didn't make what they wanted. This doesn't mean they lost money but it means they didn't profit whay they wanted. Mulan costs $30 and it will be free with my current subscription in December so I personally have waited and imagine others are similar to me and are waiting to not have to pay $30 to see it. Wonder Woman will give HBO Max a bigger pay day by volume because it is included as part of the subscription and the subscription is $15. But still don't think they will make what they could have at the BO.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 11-21-2020 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I suppose it's a slightly different circumstance, but isn't this kind of move what theaters railed against a few months ago? Didn't the major theater chains say they wouldn't show Universal Pictures films because they released Trolls 2 straight to streaming? And that was when all theaters were closed. It seems to me that they risk losing just as much, if not more business with this move than with what happened with Trolls 2.

There was a lot of posturing and dick swinging early on, but the theaters aren't in a position to argue anymore. It's clear AT&T's priority is Max, not theaters, so theater chains threatening to boycott likely means nothing to them. The theaters have no leverage here.

Theaters only exist in the manner they do because of big studios forcing theaters to be a thing. Imagine if you were forced to wait on video games because all gaming companies wanted arcades to be a thing, then you had wait another two months because games had to be released on the PCs before console.

That is what Theaters and video on demand business is AND honestly as consumers you be shouldn't "forced" to unnecessary buy product multiple times.

Movie Theaters should stand on the merits of going to the theater which is why I was big supporter of Avatar. There was nothing great about Avatar except that it was viewing experience you were unable to get anywhere else. If Avatar 2 is released in theaters and home at the same time. The Theater version will be the better or different enough to merit seeing it in Theaters.

Theaters should exist but as more of a niche thing. I get that they are real people who are affected by this but Theaters in this era is as pointless as traditional malls.And no business should be around because they create artificial demand at expense of progress.

Ironically Arcade still exist but successful one around because of the food more than games. Movie Theaters are going always be around but like Arcades it is going have evolve into something people go to on its own merit and not because the movie industry is propping it up.

Unless you can show how movies that cost hundreds of millions of dollars can be profitable with VOD or streaming only. Theaters will continue to be "a thing". Because they are the only viable way for the studios to make enough money.
    All those movies that they are releasing to streaming because of the pandemic will lose money. The studios are just trying to limit their loses.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    Also as far as restructuring is concerned, i think that we will see fewer movie theaters but have a more luxurious experience (ie catered food, leather reclining seats with heat warmers, bigger events, etc) and with that we may see an uptick in ticket price (maybe $20 per person). This may be a good opportunity to close the less profitable or run down theaters and reduce costs. Another big change is we may only see big budget films or highly anticipated films in the theaters after covid. I think there is more benefit to streaming platforms for lower budgeted films and that may be the future for some films but not all.
    Not too sure about your take on theaters. I lived within walking distance to a dine-in AMC that had the leather recliners and catered food. Even before Covid, they had taken away the ability to order food at your seat, and instead had a concession stand in the lobby set up to place your order and pay for it there, and then have it delivered to your seat. And after Covid, when they reopened due to social distancing they were only able to use a fraction of the seats in each theater, and there were only 40-50 seats in there to begin with. And business was so bad that AMC has just permanently closed the theater.

What I think will happen is that the theater chains will focus on the theaters that can put the most butts in the seats per showing, though they might move some of their better food options to those theaters. Then, once things have stabilized, they may revisit the dine-in model.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Unless you can show how movies that cost hundreds of millions of dollars can be profitable with VOD or streaming only. Theaters will continue to be "a thing". Because they are the only viable way for the studios to make enough money.
    All those movies that they are releasing to streaming because of the pandemic will lose money. The studios are just trying to limit their loses.
    Or they could stop making movies that cost 100 million plus. And start making more movies that cost 20 to 50 million. A streaming service needs just one or two killer programming aka Game of Thrones or Mandolorian then all other new stuff is to keep people around while waiting on the killer programming.

The average movie ticket is 9 dollars, Just for this example I am using Hbo max which 14.99. If movie company gets a consumer who only goes to movie theater 3 or 4 times a year to subscribe for 6 months to service did they win or lose? Yeah they can't make blockbuster money on every project that is obvious downside but the upside is if you have retention you will make a lot of money.

Anyways people already saw what is the key to making streaming "replace" the movie theaters. It is what Disney did with Mulan. The only thing stop streaming from being dominant thing for companies is monetizing individual films. And there is already a decent method in place, 30 dollars was a wild price but if they are charging between 9 and 14 dollars it will be interesting what consumer say about it.

Besides other than Avengers, Fast & Furious, Jurassic World and select few films how many big blockbuster projects are financial failures. Yeah the financial high of blockbuster is great but I am sure movie studios like a world when they can consistently green light mediocre movies with no fear. Disney remembers the world before Avengers that had stuff like John Carter, Lone Ranger, Tomorrowland, Tron, Prince of Persia, etc.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-04-2020 at 01:37 PM.

Yah blockbuster movies provide the cushion to float lots of those lower budget "risk" movies out there. Joker was made on only $55 million, a pittance these days. Would it have even been made had it not been for some of the blockbuster movies that filler the coffers?

If the studios start making lower budget movies instead of aiming for blockbusters, it will have the tide effect. All movies will suffer in relative quality and there just won't be the same expectations as now exist. You'll still have the artsy, risk movies going on but they will have to be fewer and far between. The model would have to change top to bottom.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.