Page 117 of 156 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 2338

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    14% is a lot, heck 4% is a lot.
    Anything over the inflation rate is a huge increase.
    I don't even know what point you are trying to make here. The prices for Apple products also increase higher than the inflation, so are you telling us that Apple is in decline?

If ticket prices rose higher than the inflation and still enough people are willing to pay them so that the 2019 box office was higher than that of 2002 then there is no big problem here. It would only be a problem if the increased cost would lead too many people to abstain from moviegoing but as the all-time record box office 2018 shows that was clearly not the case pre-pandemic.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    I don't even know what point you are trying to make here. The prices for Apple products also increase higher than the inflation, so are you telling us that Apple is in decline?

If ticket prices rose higher than the inflation and still enough people are willing to pay them so that the 2019 box office was higher than that of 2002 then there is no big problem here. It would only be a problem if the increased cost would lead too many people to abstain from moviegoing but as the all-time record box office 2018 shows that was clearly not the case pre-pandemic.
    Exactly...

Let's say that I firmly believe that the price of a brand new Ford F-150 is too high, and that the market is going to eventually do sales of new F-150s in.

If the market will consistently support the current price of a brand new Ford F-150(never mind that it will most likely do so going into the future...) while humming right along as a market?

What I believe is a complete non-issue.

The market will get along just fine in spite of it.

It's like cable television.

As long as it has a customer base that will pay for it?

What everyone else believes doesn't amount too much.

It will be a market for as long as it has customers that will support it.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

14% is a lot, heck 4% is a lot.
    Anything over the inflation rate is a huge increase.

One issue is about the past and what already happened.
    Second issue is about the future and what may or may not happen.
    Can’t get any clearer than that.
    A 14% increase just isn't a lot...that's just a flat fact that cannot be argued, you're just plain wrong and everyone can see it. Just think about it rationally for just a second, is 14 a large or a small number?
    The Answer?
    It's small.

As for your second issue, it didn't happen as I already explained. You wished to paint it as a drastic change in your previous posts, and then tried to say I was misinterpreting what you were saying, but now it seems you're circling back to saying there was a drastic change...despite the fact that there wasn't one.

BANNED

The reason studios raise rates on movie showings - and theaters raise ticket prices in consequence - is because everyone knows they can make more money doing so. That's why profits keep rising through a decline in attendance.

You know what happens when profits go down? Ticket prices go down, and companies start offering incentives. You know what happens when profits go up? They keep doing what they are doing.

What we are seeing is the normal capitalistic process of supply and demand in real time. The current trends of supply and demand show us that theaters are just fine, because despite insistence to the contrary, studios can't make more money with streaming than they can with auditorium showing. At best, streaming allows them to make more money than physical media sales.

Which is the real argument here. Are physical media in danger of going away thanks to COVID?

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    The reason studios raise rates on movie showings - and theaters raise ticket prices in consequence - is because everyone knows they can make more money doing so. That's why profits keep rising through a decline in attendance.

You know what happens when profits go down? Ticket prices go down, and companies start offering incentives. You know what happens when profits go up? They keep doing what they are doing.

What we are seeing is the normal capitalistic process of supply and demand in real time. The current trends of supply and demand show us that theaters are just fine, because despite insistence to the contrary, studios can't make more money with streaming than they can with auditorium showing. At best, streaming allows them to make more money than physical media sales.

Which is the real argument here. Are physical media in danger of going away thanks to COVID?
    I think that's definitely more of a real posibility. I honestly don't remember the last DVD I bought.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I think that's definitely more of a real posibility. I honestly don't remember the last DVD I bought.
    As far as that goes, the incentive part can apply there. Companies can make some gorgeous packages to fans in order to make it more attractive to buy a disc. Last time I thought about the Japanese anime Blu-ray industry, that seemed (in addition to hardcore fandoms) the only possible explanation for how they could get away with ripping off their customers with like 2 episode per disc releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    As far as that goes, the incentive part can apply there. Companies can make some gorgeous packages to fans in order to make it more attractive to buy a disc. Last time I thought about the Japanese anime Blu-ray industry, that seemed (in addition to hardcore fandoms) the only possible explanation for how they could get away with ripping off their customers with like 2 episode per disc releases.
    Your comment about packaging just reminded me of what I bought, a collection of all the Hobbit films and one of all the Lotr films as they had covers that looked like old travel posters.

BANNED

Any price that outpace inflation is a huge increase. It’s the very definition of overpriced.
    Yes, Apple is overpriced too, I don’t see what that has to do with this.

Movie ticket prices is increasing pass inflation rate is to offset the loses in attendance.
    Last edited by luprki; 06-24-2021 at 05:07 PM.

BANNED

Any price that outpace inflation is a huge increase. It’s the very definition of overpriced.

Movie ticket prices is increasing pass inflation rate is to offset the loses in attendance.
    That's not how supply and demand works. Please learn basic economics before making this sort of statement.

No dvds were coming in second to digital before the virus. People are buying digital copies from vudu or itunes or buying blu-rays to get the digital codes! DVDS do still have big fans however. (i still buy them)

In japan it's the other way around. DVDS are still huge and they still have video rentals and cd stores! Digital is not big there at all. It just didn't take off.

Neat thing is japans dvd rentals also has games, cds and mangas to rent also! (yes you can rent manga books!)

Here is one of them.

That's just not true, it may be your feeling but it's not an actual fact.

Again, is 14 a big number, yes or no?

BANNED

Yes 14% is a huge number

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    That's not how supply and demand works. Please learn basic economics before making this sort of statement.
    Unfortunately, the world is not perfect. It was the only way theaters could keep up. The supply and demand rule doesn’t always apply to everything. We see the same with cable tv.

BANNED

Unfortunately, the world is not perfect. It was the only way theaters could keep up. The supply and demand rule doesn’t always apply to everything. We see the same with cable tv.
    The supply and demand rule is pretty much a constant of the universe. It's a popular economic position because it's entirely predictable, never varies, and sound business decisions can always be made based on it.