Page 12 of 156 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    The vaccines are already being tested right now. The end of the year is when they hope to have it deployed to the general population. It's possible something could go wrong and delay that, but so far nothing has. Last results I saw, the vaccine had produced antibodies in 100% of the test patients.
    The testing right now is to see if it works and although there has been promising results nothing iS really doing the job now after they make a vaccine that works they still have to do long term testing to see the after effects after all what good is a vaccine if it does more harm then good in the long run? Then it's going to take a lot of money possibly 100s of billions of dollars and time to make and deploye it to billions of people it's not going to be a easy task at all.
    Last edited by choptop; 06-05-2020 at 01:09 PM.

BANNED

The theaters will have social distancing seating and about 25% capacity, it won’t be financially viable for a studios to have a theatrical release.
    If theaters actually open, will the studio be willing to have a theatrical release with a limited audience. I bet there’s a big debate at the studios on whether to go back to theaters or go straight to streaming or VOD.
    The issue is not only about will the audience be coming back, but also will the studios comeback.
    It wouldn’t surprise me if big movies like Wonder Woman opens on HBOMAX and Black Widow opens on Disney+, because these expensive movie can’t make their money back on a 25% seat capacity.
    Last edited by luprki; 06-05-2020 at 02:08 PM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

A lot of movies will be delayed until 2021, post-vaccine. Some other theater company will acquire the theaters closed by AMC and whatever other companies go out of business, and people will go back to packing theaters. People will only go to theaters for big-budget spectacle movies, but that was pretty much the case before the pandemic. I predict that by this time next year, things will be completely back to normal.

If not, then the movie industry will collapse and we'll have to find something else to do. Streaming TV will become the main thing, but people will come to want the theatrical experience of eye-filling screens and seat-shaking sound when they go to see a superhero movie or a monster film or sci-fi spectacular. Nobody is going to spend $200 million on a streaming budget, and people still want those big screen blockbusters.

Some are seriously underestimating the ability of people to snap back after the all-clear sounds. Like I've said before, World War I and the Spanish Flu pandemic were immediately followed by the Roaring Twenties.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    They say most of the deaths are going to be in poor contrarys with little to no health care.
    If there were going to be 100 million dead we would already have over 10 million probably 30 or 40. High population density, cooler weather and stupid governors sending the infected to nursing homes are all factors.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    If there were going to be 100 million dead we would already have over 10 million probably 30 or 40. High population density, cooler weather and stupid governors sending the infected to nursing homes are all factors.
    Stupid governors sending people to the beach and telling them not to bother with masks, more like. Those are the states where the disease is still growing.

It's going to take time for that many to die but it can happen if nothing changes soon just look at the numbers if 80% of the worlds population gets infected with 1% death rate that's over a 100 million who will die hopefully it doesn't come to that.
    Last edited by choptop; 06-05-2020 at 02:39 PM.

Mighty Member

https://www.businessinsider.com/cuom...es-2020-5?op=1

Since the quote function and posting links don’t work well together on my iPad

Andrew you can see 5800 actual deaths at the time of the article not a theoretical. They sent the infected to the most vulnerable people. Hanging out on the beach cannot compare.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cuom...es-2020-5?op=1

Since the quote function and posting links don’t work well together on my iPad

Andrew you can see 5800 actual deaths at the time of the article not a theoretical. They sent the infected to the most vulnerable people. Hanging out on the beach cannot compare.
    It was a bad mistake, to be sure... the mistake being doing what the CDC told him to do.

And since then Cuomo has done everything he possibly can to mitigate the situation, rather than calling for grandma to be sacrificed so young people can get back to work, as many of his political opponents did.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    It was a bad mistake, to be sure... the mistake being doing what the CDC told him to do.

And since then Cuomo has done everything he possibly can to mitigate the situation, rather than calling for grandma to be sacrificed so young people can get back to work, as many of his political opponents did.
    Sigh first you say it was because he listened to the CDC unlike many other governors. Then you criticize his political opponents for not listening to the CDC. The CDC has hardly covered itself in glory this year. Anyway with all the protests the lockdown is practically moot. There will now be a huge outbreak and thousands of the protesters will die or people will really think the CDC knew little.

Anyway if thousands don’t die that will shoot down chop tops paranoid predictions.

Florida saw its biggest single day # of cases after reopening.
    https://www.newsweek.com/florida-set...-three-1509055

Alabama, Miss. and Ark also have surges since reopening.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

As the budgets rose for a limited amount of blockbusters I see the studios returning to lesser budget movies to try to maintain their standing in profits. It is clear that people will be afraid for a while yet as there is so much suppacition going on about how the disease is spreading and they will want to wait until a return to normality. Clearly over the decades the studio system has invested more money into providing bigger and better movies but I think that they will take it slower in the foreseeable future.
    Hail Hydra!

BANNED

California will announce in the coming days that gyms, bars and schools can re-open with social distancing guildlines. But no word on theaters. Theaters and nightclubs are considered the most dangerous venues, so we’ll see what happens.

All-New Member

Cool Will COVID-19 end theatrical movies?

Covid-19 created devasting impact, which made the entire Hollywood's release calendar re-shuffled, films get pushed to 2022. The 2020 and 2021 theatrical release schedule of Hollywood has undergone a significant change with films such as Black Widow, John Wick 4, Mulan, The Batman and Wonder Woman 1984 pushed to later dates. Marvel Studios’ Black Widow, will hit screens on November 6 instead of May 1; The Eternals has been moved from November 6 this year to February 12, 2021; and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, the sequel to the 2016 Benedict Cumberbatch film, has been pushed back from November 2021 to March 2022. The wait has become longer for those expecting Thor: Love and Thunder in November 2021, as it will now come out on February 11, 2022.

Marvel-Studios-10th-Anniversary-Banner.jpg

New York has just reopened churches at 25% capacity in most of the state. It wouldn't surprise me if the numbers stay as good as they have been, that theaters might reopen at similar capacity sometime in Phase 3 (which is scheduled to begin in about 6 days in most places).

BANNED

I think movie theaters cannot survive on a 25% capacity. A big budget movie certainly can recoup it’s money from a 25% capacity. Other businesses like restaurants and bars can adjust. This will give the Hollywood studios a good excuse to cutout the middle man. I hope I’m wrong, because I miss go to the movies, but we are now living in a new normal.