Page 124 of 156 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 2338
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Seems pretty impressive to me, especially for a movie that was already available in theaters the same weekend.

I mean that seems insane to me. Even if it just brings in another 40 million in streaming thats 100 million just in freaking streaming. In reality this could be the most profitable marvel movie of all time.

BANNED

I know I said I wouldn’t post on this thread anymore, but Black Widow important and pivotal film when it comes to theater/streaming conversation.
    It earned $80 million at US box office, but $60 million on Disney Plus. That means $2 million households watch it at home. The average household size is 2.5 people. Meaning approximately $5 million people watch BW on D+.
    Theaters make most of their money from concession, not ticket sales. That’s $5 million people not buying the theaters overpriced popcorn, sodas and candy.

Here’s an interesting article from today:
    Theater chains in ‘deep trouble’ despite post-pandemic box office record: Greenfield

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/thea...151118400.html
    Last edited by luprki; 07-12-2021 at 04:05 PM.

Since you actually cited that article, it is worth noting that it pretty clearly pokes a pretty huge hole in what you had previously been stating as fact...

If you think about it, this movie did 158 million globally and 60 million directly at home. Disney keeps 80% of the 60 million. Of the 158, they probably keep, you know, maybe 60%, and that number goes down over as the film plays longer and longer. So this is a big signal that direct-to-home movies that, you know, don't have to be seen in theaters are here to stay.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    I know I said I wouldn’t post on this thread anymore, but Black Widow important and pivotal film when it comes to theater/streaming conversation.
    It earned $80 million at US box office, but $60 million on Disney Plus. That means $2 million households watch it at home. The average household size is 2.5 people. Meaning approximately $5 million people watch BW on D+.
    Theaters make most of their money from concession, not ticket sales. That’s $5 million people not buying the theaters overpriced popcorn, sodas and candy.

Here’s an interesting article from today:
    Theater chains in ‘deep trouble’ despite post-pandemic box office record: Greenfield

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/thea...151118400.html
    It's not 5 million people failing to buy popcorn though, there is nothing to suggest that in this still covid climate that if the streaming option weren't there that those people would have gone to the theaters to see this.

Past that...

That interview was a "Money..." guy trying to sell folks taking in a "Money..." program on that he knows where things are headed.

Take his point of view for whatever it is worth.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's not 5 million people failing to buy popcorn though, there is nothing to suggest that in this still covid climate that if the streaming option weren't there that those people would have gone to the theaters to see this.
    That’s a good point, but you can turn it around and say if theater wasn’t an option, how much it wouldn’t have made with streaming alone.
    Plus remember studios will get about 80% from streaming

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

That’s a good point, but you can turn it around and say if theater wasn’t an option, how much it wouldn’t have made with streaming alone.
    Plus remember studios will get about 80% from streaming
    ...what you said literally makes no sense...except that studios make good money from streaming.

I don't ever buy popcorn. Not 8 bucks for the 25 cents worth they sell. And most times I am at the movies, the majority are not buying at the concession stand. So far from 5 million buckets of popcorn.

Also we can estimate the size of the streaming audience all we want. But my guess is all those watching would not be going to the movies otherwise. Probably one or two people really want to see it and the rest are along for the ride.
    My wife and I watching WW84 at home was only one ticket not purchased. Mine.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

I never buy concession

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...what you said literally makes no sense...except that studios make good money from streaming.
    What makes no sense? I’m actually agreeing with you and pointing out there is always two sides to a coin.

BANNED

I’m happy to have the choice to stay at home. With Black Widow we stayed at home and watched it on Disney+. Only paid 30 bucks for six people, a great bargain. Plus we were able to eat and drink anything we wanted at retail prices. For my family streaming is the best thing that happened from the movie industry. Not to mention all the other great programming D+ and other streamers offer.

I’m happy to have the choice to stay at home. With Black Widow we stayed at home and watched it on Disney+. Only paid 30 bucks for six people, a great bargain. Plus we were able to eat and drink anything we wanted at retail prices. For my family streaming is the best thing that happened from the movie industry. Not to mention all the other great programming D+ and other streamers offer.
    While it's great that you got to see the film the way you wanted?

Thirty bucks is not "Only..." what you paid.

(Unless you got the hookup, and a magic genie got it to play at your pace in exchange for the thirty bucks...)

I never buy concession
    As for this...

There is really a "There is always more to something than you think there is..." angle to this.

While it feels like your argument is "The price at a concession stand is marked up!..."? Let's take a look at the actual world that the money made from that mark up exists in.

This world...

- Are there "More..." or "Less..." bookstores in it than there were fifteen or twenty years ago?
    - Are there "More..." or "Less..." record stores in it than there were fifteen or twenty years ago?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Forget about the concessions (because nobody is forced to buy them and many don't), the only thing that matters in this conversation is whether watching a streamed film is comparable to viewing it at a theater. Obviously, it isn't, which is why the idea of theaters dying in the near future is just silly.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

I thought the conversation is about the survival of theaters, which makes concessions is a major issues. That’s where the theaters makes the majority of their money. If less people are going to the movies, that means less people are buying concessions. Theaters aren’t just exhibitioners, they are also high price retailers. I don’t think we can just ignore the concession issue.
    Theaters are not dying out completely, they will always be around. The question is at what capacity.
    Last edited by luprki; 07-14-2021 at 12:08 PM.