Page 139 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,085 of 2338

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    How much do you think one of these hybrid movies needs to make a profit? 1.5% more than its budget? I only ask for curiosity sake.
    Usually a 200 million dollar movie would need to reach 500 million at the box office to become profitable (depending on the marketing spend). As we likely won't get any official Disney+ numbers besides the opening weekend it will be impossoble to know the total number but with a 90 million opening an end result of 500 million seems out of the question for Jungle Cruise.

On the other hand depending on its China result BW could reach that mark barely when Disney+ money is added. But the next question is how much these movies usually make on subsequent home entertainment releases as that revenue is also diminished by the day and date release.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I mean that sounds pretty logical to me.
    It seems logical to me, too, but I don't profess to be a movie insider. There could always be something that I'm missing here.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

I bet JC drops near 70% next weekend. And why did they put Stillwater in theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    On top of that, respect your talent and sit down and discuss compensation for those previously made films.
    If they would like to keep them and have others want to work with them in the future, certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Usually a 200 million dollar movie would need to reach 500 million at the box office to become profitable (depending on the marketing spend). As we likely won't get any official Disney+ numbers besides the opening weekend it will be impossoble to know the total number but with a 90 million opening an end result of 500 million seems out of the question for Jungle Cruise.

On the other hand depending on its China result BW could reach that mark barely when Disney+ money is added. But the next question is how much these movies usually make on subsequent home entertainment releases as that revenue is also diminished by the day and date release.
    Agreed. Figuring out a movie's profitability during this current pandemic sure isn't easy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    I bet JC drops near 70% next weekend. And why did they put Stillwater in theaters.
    I don't know what kind of Deal the Rock had with Disney. But he aint saying crap. Wonder why.

Did you even read the article? They said Jungle Cruise did better than expected.
    They said that about black widow week one also then it dropped like a rock after and disney said nothing about it again!

I could swear they released streaming numbers on Cruella the first week. I know people have said that BW was the first time they did it. But I swear they released Cruella numbers.
    We got numbers but not from disney!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    They said that about black widow week one also then it dropped like a rock after and disney said nothing about it again!

We got numbers but not from disney!

Ahh ok thanks. I knew I wasn't totally crazy.

If Foster thought he could win legally, he would have filed a lawsuit, bottom line.
    No, it really is not.

We'll keep this in pretty unrealistic "Money..." terms so the math stays pretty basic.

Someone goes into court with a case that is absolutely a forgone conclusion. In this case, they stand to wind up being properly compensated per an existing contract to the tune of twenty bucks.

The hitch?

The company that doesn't want to honor the existing contact has money to burn. So, it will probably cost the guy fifteen dollars of the twenty dollars that he is 100% going to win when he goes to court.

Since this will also cost the company that is trying to get out of the contract even though they know that they owe the guy per the contract?

They offer him nine bucks in a settlement.

Now, the guy has to think.

While he could go to court and wind up with five bucks when the dust settles? He can probably take the settlement offer and wind up with seven bucks after he settles up with his lawyer(s)...

The only person who "Would have filed a lawsuit, bottom line..." under those circumstances?

It is someone to whom it is personal, and the money is essentially a non-issue.

Everyone else?

There is no situation where the "Bottom Line..." would be that they would be willing to waste years of time to come out with less money.

The "Win..." is not that important to most folks.

BANNED

Agreed. Figuring out a movie's profitability during this current pandemic sure isn't easy
    It was never easy, because different movies has different finances. Some movies had backended deal and some had none. Some movie took 80% cut in the first week and some took 45%, it all depends on negotiations with the theaters chains. We always assumed it a 50/50 split, but that was never true for every movie.

Astonishing Member

It was never easy, because different movies has different finances. Some movies had backended deal and some had none. Some movie took 80% cut in the first week and some took 45%, it all depends on negotiations with the theaters chains. We always assumed it a 50/50 split, but that was never true for every movie.
    Agreed figuring out if a movie bombs is relatively easy. But people attempting to figure out the profitability of individual movies was always more like a game. No one knows the individual deals with the individual theaters in individual countries. Or the actual costs of any particular movie. Except for the industry people themselves.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster, IMO. The studios have to at least recoup their costs or they will wind up in bankruptcy court sooner than later.
    I think that's the point - they know they can't make a real profit while so many people are still hesitant to pack in theaters as the pandemic is still going on with the Delta variant, so the goal for many right now might just be to aim for that "later" bankruptcy rather than that "sooner."

Well, at the present time, I would probably make only small-budget films that have a chance of making some type of profit in this environment. The ones that were in production before the pandemic are one thing, but I can't recommend burning money on something new if it can be avoided.
    A lot of these films were made before Covid or during a portion of covid but either after the big money had already been delegated/contracted/whatever or under the assumption that the pandemic wouldn't have lasted this long. The way Hollywood blockbusters work, a lot of what we're seeing now are films where the money was already promised to make these films and they couldn't back out. It's not really an industry that can pivot quickly to just making smaller budget pictures within a year. Now, if the virus mutates and renders the current vaccines useless (which sadly is a distinct possibility with so many hesitant to get the vaccine and thus allowing the virus ample opportunity to continue to evolve) and this pandemic lasts for another couple of years or so? Then yeah, expect many to pivot to smaller budgets. Right now I think the plan for most is just try and survive this year and hope next year sees a return to normalcy.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 08-01-2021 at 07:33 PM.

BANNED

If ScarJo lawsuit is correct, it means streaming has taken a big leap over theaters.

If ScarJo lawsuit is correct, it means streaming has taken a big leap over theaters.
    No, it doesn't mean that. It means streaming is a big enough slice to matter, which nobody here would disagree with.