Page 16 of 156 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

If we didn't have the virus pixar's soul would be out today!

Amazing Member

Insult, meet Injury. I am SO looking forward to that movie.

Five more months from today. Hopefully!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    If we didn't have the virus pixar's soul would be out today!

Retired

The two metres distancing rule is supposed to prevent the virus spreading when you cough. So normally, other people would be safe. And if everyone is facing in the same direction, then seating could be arranged so there's even more distance and none of your cough would be in direct line with anyone else. But I think there have been exceptional cases where coughs have been so extraordinary that even people very distant could pick up the disease, so it's a legitimate concern. And being indoors is worse. Outdoors, the virus is carried away by the breeze. Indoors, they might need to use ventilation to blow the particles away.

BANNED

People risking the health and life of themselves and love ones for a damn movie, makes no f***ing sense.
    Last edited by luprki; 06-20-2020 at 08:40 PM.

Amazing Member

I can't help but feel that a lot of this is, at best, optimistic conjecture.

Two meters distancing is SUPPOSED to prevent the virus spreading when you cough. Are we as a society simply assuming that the virus hits that six feet mark, and then says "Whoa! Better hold off, fellow virus molecules! We almost crossed the SIX FOOT BARRIER."

Everyone facing in the same direction... maybe. One could surely make the case that the very back row in each theater would be the safest then, yeah? No one behind you coughing.

And not only that, people don't TELEPORT to their seat. They walk to them. They walk past people. Strangers. Folks they don't know.

Also, NO ONE (even in the wake up the major chain dustups the last couple of days) has been able to explain how the mandatory mask rule will be enforced. I would wager a LARGE sum of money that, the moment those lights go down, that many folks (not all, thanks goodness. But many) will casually slip off those masks so they can get at that sweet, sweet popcorn and soda.

We can also talk about the recirculated air. What you breathe out doesn't go out of that room right away. Who knows how long it stays?

I love my job. I've done it for a long, long time. I've been in theaters where there's been gunfire. I've worked at a theater where a murder had occured.

I worked the entire weekend The Dark Knight Rises opened. Police officers everywhere. It made the Joker opening (police officers, but less) look quant.

But I've never, ever, EVER been more on edge about returning to theaters.

Just... hope for the best, I guess. And socially distance. And wash my hands.

I don't know what else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The two metres distancing rule is supposed to prevent the virus spreading when you cough. So normally, other people would be safe. And if everyone is facing in the same direction, then seating could be arranged so there's even more distance and none of your cough would be in direct line with anyone else. But I think there have been exceptional cases where coughs have been so extraordinary that even people very distant could pick up the disease, so it's a legitimate concern. And being indoors is worse. Outdoors, the virus is carried away by the breeze. Indoors, they might need to use ventilation to blow the particles away.

Fantastic Member

I just want some new content. I dont care if its straight the video or big screen movies. Before COVID there was the threat of some dumbass trying a mass shooting so being done with the movie theaters isnt exactly a bad thing. I say do showings and times like you would in a theater and purchase virtual tickets to watch the thing at home

Amazing Member

You're right about the mass shooting. I was in a theater where a man pulled a gun during (of all movies) Ride Along 2.

And don't forget that man who killed someone during Amy Schumer's terrificly funny movie, Trainwreck.

(Sidebar: If you haven't seen it, I really recommend that film. Basketball legend LeBron James is SO funny in that film).

But as for "new content," serious question: are you not getting enough new content through other channels at the moment?

I have *counts on fingers* four streaming services, and I feel blessed with more content than I'll ever get to watch. I don't have HBO, but was happy to discover that Watchmen is currently streaming on Hulu. Just started it tonight (different then the book!).

I do like the idea of on-demand / view-at-home expanding. I'm geeked to see John Stewarts new comedy Irresistable later this month.

And I love that I won't have to risk my health to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherIV View Post
    I just want some new content. I dont care if its straight the video or big screen movies. Before COVID there was the threat of some dumbass trying a mass shooting so being done with the movie theaters isnt exactly a bad thing. I say do showings and times like you would in a theater and purchase virtual tickets to watch the thing at home

I'm pretty bummed about Nolan's insistence that this be seen in theaters. Like, dude, I know you've been busy, but you've seen the state of the world, right?

I definitely won't be seeing Tenet any time soon.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    People risking the health and life of themselves and love ones for a damn movie, makes no f***ing sense.
    How about all the people that went to the beaches and bars all while not following social distancing rules. If people are willing to risk themselves and the people they love for alcohol (which they can buy from a store) or the chance to lay in the sun (sit on their pourch/backyard/patio/balcony)? People are naturally stupid and don't care who they put at risk if it means they get to have momentary fun.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PD98 View Post
    How about all the people that went to the beaches and bars all while not following social distancing rules. If people are willing to risk themselves and the people they love for alcohol (which they can buy from a store) or the chance to lay in the sun (sit on their pourch/backyard/patio/balcony)? People are naturally stupid and don't care who they put at risk if it means they get to have momentary fun.
    You’re right. California was doing a good job with the virus, but for some strange reason the governor decided to reopen to early and now there is a spike in cases there. They might have to start closing down again, same for Texas, Florida, Georgia and Arizona. This virus is not gone. Reopening bars and theaters is just plain stupid, the beaches are a safer, because of the outside air and wind.

Amazing Member

This I agree with. And while I've not read any explanation as to why Governor Newsom reopened California when he did, I suspect there was an immense, intense amount of pressure for him to do so.

Tangentally related: did you all hear / read about comedian D.L. Hughley collapsing onstage the other day? He tested positive for Coronavirus.

And he was in a comedy club with a whole lot of other people. All sitting. Facing the stage.

Just. Like. A. Movie. Theater.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    You’re right. California was doing a good job with the virus, but for some strange reason the governor decided to reopen to early and now there is a spike in cases there. They might have to start closing down again, same for Texas, Florida, Georgia and Arizona. This virus is not gone. Reopening bars and theaters is just plain stupid, the beaches are a safer, because of the outside air and wind.
    Last edited by willtupper; 06-21-2020 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Spelling Error

Someone that I know mentioned that Cinemark's website looks like paying for concessions with cash is gone until further notice along with the free refills on their large soda/popcorn.

Didn't see anything about the community napkin holder/"Butter" dispenser/salt shaker that tend to be in their concession areas.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I'm pretty bummed about Nolan's insistence that this be seen in theaters. Like, dude, I know you've been busy, but you've seen the state of the world, right?

I definitely won't be seeing Tenet any time soon.
    It's baffling. I don't know why he's not taking this seriously.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by willtupper View Post
    I can't help but feel that a lot of this is, at best, optimistic conjecture.

Two meters distancing is SUPPOSED to prevent the virus spreading when you cough. Are we as a society simply assuming that the virus hits that six feet mark, and then says "Whoa! Better hold off, fellow virus molecules! We almost crossed the SIX FOOT BARRIER."
    I wasn't trying to advance optimistic conjecture. I was trying to bring us back to fact based thinking, instead of conjecture.

Personally, I'm not going to go to the movie theatre. I don't want to take the risk. It's a luxury. I need to go to the supermarket and the drugstore--which are pretty risky places, I don't see everyone wearing masks there--but I don't have much option. However, I don't have to go to a movie house.

Actually, I believe that sneezing is a much greater threat than coughing, because your body is expelling particles with greater force and therefore the virus goes farther. Using masks isn't 100% effective--and do people sneeze into their masks?

I was trying to point out that you're not invincible if you wear a mask and that we're fixating too much on that and not all the other ways that we might safeguard ourselves and others. If people are going to the movies, it's impractical to think they won't be eating in their seats--so other measures than masks need to be taken, like barriers and ventilation and distanced seating.

People are being misled into believing that the mask is the solution--and they don't have to do all the other things, as well. I see a lot of irrational thinking from all sides. There's too much fear mongering, not enough reliance on science and facts.

I think the emphasis on masks is because we're still trying to convince, possibly, around half the US population that wearing one is something they should do.

I can tell you that this isn't just red states. In a very liberal city that was hit hard by this early, people are still out not wearing fucking masks. In stores, on busses, just not wearing masks. Somehow the severity of this has not really connected with people. The asymptomatic nature of this virus has no connected with people. There's zero compassion in our society.

Like, just the fact alone that we were on state wide lockdowns for 3 months should be enough. Because that has NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE in your lifetime. And yet, here we are.

We went through all of that, and for some people it's like nothing ever happened. Why did we even do that? It's darwinism at it's finest.

So prep up for wave 2. It's gonna happen. Stock up your supplies, save the money you can, because if this comes back harder than the first round, like they think it will, we're pretty fucked. Trump will still be the president. The economic fallout still hasn't actually happened, either. Things have the potential to get really bad. It's going to make the last 3 months look like a cakewalk.
    Last edited by Joker; 06-22-2020 at 08:31 AM.