Page 2 of 156 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Is that actually true? Because I hate sharing the theater with other people. Movies to me are best seen alone, and the reason I go to the theater is because of the huge ass screen and not wanting to wait for it to be available on home video. I just want to know if I'm in the minority or not here.
    Well, for me it is. Different strokes for different folks (that is, I won't try to convince anyone who likes going to empty theaters to change -- otherwise, we wouldn't have viewing times at 11am on a weekday), but there are videos online of various audience reactions to big movies (like Audience Reactions ), and those reactions are visibly shared experiences.

Plus, if big hollywood movies were made primarily for just a few viewers, we wouldn't have giant cineplexes -- they'd be focused primarily on the home market, or that smaller theaters would be more common, or that theatrical movies wouldn't take months to reach the home market. (on the contrary, some direct-to-video movies end up making $100 million+, notably those Disney sequels in the 90s).

Roger Ebert also wrote quite a bit about the effects of seeing a movie with an audience, from old favorites to blockbusters. But he's also written about movies that are too personal to see with a crowd, too. There's room for both, but big multiplex business depends on big crowds.

Don't get me wrong, I like watching movies alone and there positives (like paying better attention to details), but for more sweeping epics (Avengers, Star Wars) or comedies (Knives Out), a crowd is better for me. Something like a Christopher Nolan movie (aside from Batman) would be something I'd watch alone. Then again, something like Parasite is quiet and deliberate, but the cinematography is pretty amazing and hearing/feeling collective admiration from other theatergoers is also pretty thrilling for me.

Of course, crowds aren't completely immune -- in at least three occasions for me last year, someone's cell phone went off at the emotional climax of the movie.
    Last edited by Cyke; 03-21-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Retired

I'm a homebody and my natural inclination is to nest. I really have to push myself to get out the door. So I'm in my element now. All that stocking up of non-perishables is really paying off for me. And I watch most movies at home. But what gets me to go to a movie theatre is the desire to see certain movies with an audience. I don't want to be in a completely packed theatre, but I don't want to be in a nearly empty one either. I want to be with an enthusiastic audience that reacts to the movie, but not one where people are talking over the movie. I was really looking forward to seeing A QUIET PLACE 2 and WONDER WOMAN 1984 with an audience.

Amazing Member

I dont think the cinema industry is going to collapse, it is such a difference experience watching something in a theater vs your living room. I prefer having the room to myself, sitting with my overpriced nachos, coke, turn off my phone and enjoying the huge screen and sound. But watching Endgame in a sold out theater was pretty amazing, you could feel every-ones energy, so i also get watching big, blockbuster movies with a crowd. So I for one will be waiting for my theater to re open.

I think more people will be willing to go to the theatres than you think...

Many people's work isn't giving them anytime off, which means they can't self isolate anyway. Remove the ability to self isolate and you remove a person's ability to go see their older loved ones, like parents and grandparents without worry. That's not even factoring in that many 18-25 are hundreds of miles from any family and may simply think the spread wouldn't make it to their own. So, if it's out of site and out of mind, which will be the case if things reopen, I doubt theatres will be that empty.

Australians are having massive parties on the beach right now....so are American spring breakers...The only people really concerned are people with high risk groups to lose, the high risk group, and scientist.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Is that actually true? Because I hate sharing the theater with other people. Movies to me are best seen alone, and the reason I go to the theater is because of the huge ass screen and not wanting to wait for it to be available on home video. I just want to know if I'm in the minority or not here.
    I can't say if you're in a minority, but I 100% prefer the theater setting. To me film is a communal experience.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I can't say if you're in a minority, but I 100% prefer the theater setting. To me film is a communal experience.
    I also enjoy that same experience. Makes movies all the more fun.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I agree with the movie experience being special. The last one I saw in a theater was 1917, and it deserved the big screen. My only problem with the cinema is I can't pause to go to the bathroom.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I never said the theater experience wasn't special, it is, just that other people aren't part of what makes it special for me. I love the big screen and the cinematic sound.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I agree with the movie experience being special. The last one I saw in a theater was 1917, and it deserved the big screen. My only problem with the cinema is I can't pause to go to the bathroom.
    Especially when it comes to really long films. On the day I planned to see Avengers: Endgame, I made sure not to drink so much as a drop of ANYTHING so my then 60 year old bladder wouldn’t betray me at some point during the movie. I have to say it was worthwhile.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Is it responsible to encourage people to go to the drive-in? If I remember my 1950s tropes right, that's where all the teens would go to party, get high and have sex. A human petri dish.
    In my experience with the Malta Drive-In, it's usually families with cars full of kids going to see the latest Disney movies in a unique summer-time setting.

And that's something else we should consider. Whether maybe the function of movies as a social and family function outweighs the value of the film itself. Consider the cultural value of the movies as a first or second date location. Or family outings to the movies. Heck, I went to see most of the Marvel films with my parents and my aunt because it was a chance to get together with them when we're all rather busy people. I mean, we're probably not going to be able to keep social distancing going forever anyway. Humanity is a highly social species of primate.

Hollywood should let it go and release all the pushed back movies online.

I want to see new mutants. bad or good. this is one movie that has dragged.

Others should follow. Wonder Woman 2, Black Widow, James Bond, Mulan and Fast and Furious 9.

The entertainment industry won't end just because movies that could have made billion of dollars at the box office now got online streaming.

Most importantly , the world needs to pray for God's mercy and healing to end this COVID-19 nightmare. Everyday I got more scared. People are just dying like flies. Pray help!

I don't think going to the movies will end any more than other community activities will end -- going to pray, going to a rock concert, going to the office, going out to eat, etc.

It'll be a process of "getting back to normal" that will likely extend throughout the year, but if we get through next winter without another big outbreak of something, then over time, this will be put in the rearview mirror like getting on a plane after 9-11. At first, it was worrisome, now no one has trepidation about it, but we do needs months and months of "no news" to get people's confidence back up.

In the meantime, Hollywood will have to do the math to figure out how to rake in as much money as possible from their investments on movies that will bypass theaters this year.

I get that streaming is an alternative, but just a few weeks ago, streaming was an ADDITIONAL revenue stream, not the primary revenue stream. Taking theater revenue out of the equation on a permanent basis would greatly reduce the amount of $150 million and above budgeted movies that we all love so much. We'd be getting more Shazams and Birds of Preys rather than Avengers Endgame spectacles.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    People will not be going to movie theaters for a long time. It might be 5 to 6 months before theaters open again. In the meantime they will be getting their movie entertainment at home, from cable and streaming new films. I see one of three possibilities. 1) It all goes back to normal, with the number of movies and attendance back to pre-virus numbers. 2) People learn a different behavior and prefer to watch things at home, dropping the attendance at Cinemas. or 3) There is a great pent up demand, and people flock to the theater when this is over.
    Other factors are how many theaters are left in business and how many people have jobs to afford to buy a ticket.
    Once the worse of the pandemic is over in each country and the lockdowns are lifted people are going to go back to what they were doing before. After every pandemic or epidemic that terrified the populace slows down or ends outright life is going to go back to what it was like before, though some will be more aware of the importance of hygiene, we are already seeing China starting to return to normal with the theaters being expected to open as early as the end of the month. Don't believe me that world will return to normal once the lockdowns and state of emergencies end, even though the 2003 SARS outbreak was traced to the wildlife trade and the Chinese government outlawed the trade during the outbreak, they wasted little time making it legal again once it was over; if a new virus won't stop in the long run the industry that largely caused it to enter the human system in the first place why would it stop people from going back to the movies once the theatres are opened again, just like amusement parks, concerts, sporting events, festivals, restaurants, etc. once people are able to go back there people are going to go (either right away or when they feel safe) unless they are people who just never liked being around other people in the first place and never had a desire to go outside.
    Personally, I will always prefer the theatre because there are fewer distractions (so as long as you got a good audience) to take you out of the movie, you stay in the moment of the movie because you can't pause or rewind to think or talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by PD98 View Post
    Once the worse of the pandemic is over in each country and the lockdowns are lifted people are going to go back to what they were doing before. After every pandemic or epidemic that terrified the populace slows down or ends outright life is going to go back to what it was like before,
    I don't think it will. A lot of people are going to be financially ruined by this. So even when things could return to normal it won't because people won't be able to afford entertainment.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Unless someone finds a miracle cure, I think theater attendance will be very low (even if the theaters re-open at some point) until a vaccine is available and this pandemic is in the rearview mirror. Then I think there will be a huge pent-up demand. Assuming that the economy doesn't collapse completely and nobody has jobs anymore.
    Once the lockdowns and state of emergencies end the world will get back to the way it was before the pandemic started (and China is already beginning to return to normal so we are possibly looking at an), which will largely be like how the world got back to normal after the 1918 influenza pandemic (and that lasted for 35 months without a vaccine), though this will be quicker because of advances in medical care and knowledge of pandemics and how to slow them down. Really, you question if there will still be an economy when there was still on after the 1918 pandemic (35 months and as many as 100 million), the Black Death (4 years and an estimated max. of 200 million), 2009 swine flu (19 months and killed up to 575,400 people) and dozens of other pandemics throughout history that happened and ended with little to no modern-day intervention. If the world and continents are able to bounce back from pandemics that killed up 200 million people we will survive and bounce back from this. And if you really are worried about the economy, after the Black Death wages and working conditions soared due to labor shortages and rent demands went down so landowners could keep and possibly attract new tenants.