Page 21 of 156 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Tenet’s removal from the the schedule is a major blow to movie theaters. It’s going to be interesting to see what happens to Wonder Woman, Black Widow and James Bond.
    I thought James Bond was already postponed until next year.

China's first day of box office made over $500k on first day!

https://deadline.com/2020/07/china-c...us-1202989499/

As Chinese cinemas began the reopening process today, box office crossed $472K by 8PM local. Maoyan’s real-time ticketing platform reports that play is led by new entry A First Farewell at around $184K. Following it is the re-issue of Christmas title Sheep Without A Shepherd at about $80K and Disney/Pixar’s Coco in 3rd with just over $42K.

Why do you think that is good for a country that used to average $20 million a day?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

How will it be different than last time theaters reopened and ordered closed when infections increased?
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Why do you think that is good for a country that used to average $20 million a day?
    Did you expect it to make what it did when all the movie chains were open? Half the movies chains are closed in china and only "safe" areas are open plus other then a new movie it's older films. The newer stuff comes in a few weeks. Add to that the stuff they are doing just to get in the door. Have to take a flu test, no drinks or food, masks the full movie, only so many people in one showing at once, no movies over 2 hours.

Plus this was just one day. It did pretty well with all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Add to that the stuff they are doing just to get in the door. Have to take a flu test, no drinks or food, masks the full movie, only so many people in one showing at once, no movies over 2 hours.
    Well, they should--after all, they are the ones who unleashed the virus on the rest of the world (yeah, yeah, I know, it was not "all of those innocent chinese that are waiting in line for movies that did it, etc, etc, etc....") but still------

Movie theatres for the rest of the world are taking hard hits and who knows if they will ever recover, or recover fully like before the virus? And what of all the other business, operations, companies and basically every single person alive? We have all been affected in one way or another--some more than others--will things ever be the same again? (Not even mentioning all of those poor souls that died, got severly sick, hospitalized, sick in any way from the virus, etc)
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 07-21-2020 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Did you expect it to make what it did when all the movie chains were open? Half the movies chains are closed in china and only "safe" areas are open plus other then a new movie it's older films. The newer stuff comes in a few weeks. Add to that the stuff they are doing just to get in the door. Have to take a flu test, no drinks or food, masks the full movie, only so many people in one showing at once, no movies over 2 hours.

Plus this was just one day. It did pretty well with all that.
    If this is what it will be until there is a vaccine, it's not enough for the theaters to make a profit. They will loose money if they stay open because the cost of operation will be more than the money they take in. So no, I don't think this is a good sign that they made that little money.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The vaccine tests are showing every sign of being safe and effective, and the drive to have it deployed early next year are on track. So there is light at the end of the tunnel. Some companies might not make it there, but the way will be clear for new companies to take their place.

So we are looking at 9 months minimum. I truly hope everyone can hang on until then.

Retired

If the Matrix existed, I think most people would take the blue pill.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So we are looking at 9 months minimum. I truly hope everyone can hang on until then.
    6-7 months minimum. 9 might be more likely. Add another month after when the vaccine goes out for antibody production to kick in.

I think something will probably be available by January, or in January.

BANNED

Even with a vaccine, I doubt people will immediately run back to the theaters. If we get a viable vaccine in early 2021, it’s going to take another 2 to 3 years before most people will be comfortable going back.
    These big budget movies are in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Even with a vaccine, I doubt people will immediately run back to the theaters. If we get a viable vaccine in early 2021, it’s going to take another 2 to 3 years before most people will be comfortable going back.
    It will not take that long. The pandemic is still a thing in this country bc people are over being quarantined. As soon as the states started to ease up on restrictions, people went out in droves and this was after 3 months of having stuff denied to them. It will not take 3 years post-vaccine to get people out. If a vaccine is distributed early next year and the curve decreases and stays flat, it'll probably be months for businesses to start to recover with most people being comfortable to use those services

Once there's a vaccine, you get it, you wait a month or so to make sure it's taken effect, and you're as safe as you're ever going to be.

Considering how eager people seem to go out and party in crowds while the disease is raging, I imagine they won't have much problem doing so when it's no longer a threat.

But a lot of people are going to have PTSD over this.

Retired

Even if there is a vaccine that won't protect you from the next virus. Instead of a patchwork approach, there has to be a complete rethink and development of new systems and technology. Otherwise, we are always vulnerable to another disaster. Or we create the Matrix and nobody has to worry about a thing.