Page 3 of 156 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

I'm not in support of any federal government bailout, unless there are community benefits agreements in place [in writing, enforceable], such as no layoffs for 12 months, and vouchers/credits for people who live in the states where these theaters are located. To me it would be obscene for a bunch of money to be used to "save" theater chains, then after that it's back to 'business as usual' with hikes in ticket prices, snack prices, promoting only part-time positions, no sick leave, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    People will not be going to movie theaters for a long time. It might be 5 to 6 months before theaters open again. In the meantime they will be getting their movie entertainment at home, from cable and streaming new films. I see one of three possibilities. 1) It all goes back to normal, with the number of movies and attendance back to pre-virus numbers. 2) People learn a different behavior and prefer to watch things at home, dropping the attendance at Cinemas. or 3) There is a great pent up demand, and people flock to the theater when this is over.
    Other factors are how many theaters are left in business and how many people have jobs to afford to buy a ticket.
    Short answer: no.

In the UK we've shut restaurants... doesn't mean everyone's going to realise how good cooking at home is; the moment they open again people will be back. It's not a habit that a (very unusual set of circumstances) will change.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

I don't think restaurants and theaters are parallel. For many reasons.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PD98 View Post
    Once the lockdowns and state of emergencies end the world will get back to the way it was before the pandemic started (and China is already beginning to return to normal so we are possibly looking at an), which will largely be like how the world got back to normal after the 1918 influenza pandemic (and that lasted for 35 months without a vaccine), though this will be quicker because of advances in medical care and knowledge of pandemics and how to slow them down. Really, you question if there will still be an economy when there was still on after the 1918 pandemic (35 months and as many as 100 million), the Black Death (4 years and an estimated max. of 200 million), 2009 swine flu (19 months and killed up to 575,400 people) and dozens of other pandemics throughout history that happened and ended with little to no modern-day intervention. If the world and continents are able to bounce back from pandemics that killed up 200 million people we will survive and bounce back from this. And if you really are worried about the economy, after the Black Death wages and working conditions soared due to labor shortages and rent demands went down so landowners could keep and possibly attract new tenants.
    The economy worked very differently in 1918 than it does now, and vastly different than in the 14th century. No event in U.S. history (including the Spanish Flu) has ever shut down the economy to this extent. Today the economy is much more services-oriented and more tied to the stock market. The services sector is shutting down and the market is crashing. If things don't change within the next month or two, a lot of our economy's infrastructure will no longer be there when the all-clear sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    The economy worked very differently in 1918 than it does now, and vastly different than in the 14th century. No event in U.S. history (including the Spanish Flu) has ever shut down the economy to this extent. Today the economy is much more services-oriented and more tied to the stock market. The services sector is shutting down and the market is crashing. If things don't change within the next month or two, a lot of our economy's infrastructure will no longer be there when the all-clear sounds.
    Yeah, wasn't farming still the job most people had back in 1918? It was definitely a lot higher than today. Never mind the era of the bubonic plague.

I don't think restaurants and theaters are parallel. For many reasons.
    Why not? Both are luxuries that nobody actually "needs"; but they do it because they enjoy it. You can eat and watch a movie at home. People choose not to, and they will continue to choose not to once self-isolation is over.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

There is a big difference between cooking at home and watching movies at home. The only difference between movies at home and in theaters is a group experience, which some may not miss. And find they will just watch the same movie at home. Cooking is difficult and time consumer. It is very hard to cook the same meal as a restaurant. Sometimes impossible to find the same ingredients.
    Movie at home: Turn on TV and click to movie you want, watch. At theaters: Go to cinema and pay to watch movie.
    Cooking at home: Go shopping spend hours cooking, work out timing so you can enjoy all the food together (this might include getting up from table to continue cooking) after dinner. clean up kitchen.
    Restaurant: Sit down, order food, have professional chef prepare food (most likely better than you can). Eat, pay check and leave.

Not even close to the same thing.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I don't much like going to the theater. The only thing I really miss about it is the crowd reaction to big scenes... and of course that it's the only way to see a movie unless you want to wait 6+ months and get spoiled.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I suspect things will return to normal once the all clear has sounded, not right away, that much is obvious, but it will happen. Not everyone will spend all their days and nights and weekends after the crisis has ended channeling their inner Emeril Lagasse or Rachael Ray, people will inevitably want a break from the kitchen to go out, relax and let someone else do the cooking, especially families, restaurants will see business return. So too will the multiplexes since, when you get right down to it, going to the movies is one of the cheapest forms of entertainment around (not factoring in the price of snacks of course). Like I said, the status quo will return, but, after all this, it will be altered, how, I have no idea, we'll just have to wait and see.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

So, for me, I will definitely watch fewer movies if theaters go away, because for me, the value isn't there on this. 19.99 for a rental is a big ask, especially since there are a lot of movies that I go to by myself (specifically horror and weird trippy things since my wife doesn't like those). I can see how this is great for a family, but we also have a theater that shows new movies for $5 before noon everyday including weekends. So, I'd be paying 4x the cost of going to see a movie by myself on a worse screen with worse sound. Most of the time, 19.99 is less than I pay for a blu-ray, which I then own. So yeah, I just can't justify this cost.

There is a big difference between cooking at home and watching movies at home. The only difference between movies at home and in theaters is a group experience, which some may not miss. And find they will just watch the same movie at home. Cooking is difficult and time consumer. It is very hard to cook the same meal as a restaurant. Sometimes impossible to find the same ingredients.
    Movie at home: Turn on TV and click to movie you want, watch. At theaters: Go to cinema and pay to watch movie.
    Cooking at home: Go shopping spend hours cooking, work out timing so you can enjoy all the food together (this might include getting up from table to continue cooking) after dinner. clean up kitchen.
    Restaurant: Sit down, order food, have professional chef prepare food (most likely better than you can). Eat, pay check and leave.

Not even close to the same thing.
    You know you can just get some tv dinners and use the microwave right? Or microwave burritos, pizza rolls, chicken nuggets, spring rolls, soups, etc.

Never mind all the things you can make by just literally boiling water - hot dogs, pasta noodles, rice, meat, veggies.

Never mind all the people these days with an instant pot or air fryer or pressure cooker, to cook stuff fast. I make homemade pizza substituting wheat tortillas for dough in my air fryer, takes 30 minutes and only because I put on a lot of toppings (actual cook time maybe 10-15 minutes).

And even if you use a stove I can fry up eggs or make a decent burger in almost no time at all.

Hell, if you got a panini press you can make a good hot sandwich quick like.

If you are spending hours in the kitchen, using a ton of ingredients, and getting confused by some complicated recipe, you're doing it wrong. More meals than I'm willing to count can be made in under an hour if not half an hour with only a few ingredients. And I'm a lazy and uncreative chef.

*Yes, most of what I listed isn't healthy, but neither is what you're likely to get at a restaurant either.

Most dishes are easy to make, 10 or 15 minutes of prep time then shove it in the oven or occasionally stir on the stove top. Everyone should become at least a functional cook with such easy access to recipes online.

Retired

If by some miracle (it goes away in April, because of the heat), we don't see a sharp rise in the deaths, and we can go back to life b.C., then the theatres might be able to get back on their feet. Although this will serve as a lesson to them and the studios.

However, with no miracle, I think greater fatalities are going to shock people into finally staying home (too late, unfortunately) and this will become our routine for months at least, maybe years.

When and if theatres do re-open, they will have to change how they do things. Which is ever the way with theatres that have had to keep changing their ways since before talkies became a thing. Maybe a lot less seats in theatres--the VIP screening model--fewer showings per day so they can do more cleaning. Maybe using the theatres for other things--plays, sing-alongs, gaming.

Whenever I'm watching the current news now and I see two people on screen getting too close to each other, I'm thinking that's just not right--tsk, tsk. Oh no, they touched the same mike!

I wonder, if physical distancing does become the norm, will any kind of touching or even close proximity appear slightly sinful and therefore erotic. Maybe people will seek out movies that show people in the same room, breathing on each other, for the thrill of it. So shocking.

Astonishing Member

Theater will be back, I suppose.

Big movies needs big screens.

Imagine Avatar on the small screen. What a waste. Or Sandra Bullocks Gravity...what a visual experience it was...on the telly, not so much...

I think the argument for simultaneous releases has been rendered moot; they should be happening with or without a pandemic.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium