Page 4 of 156 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    You know you can just get some tv dinners and use the microwave right? Or microwave burritos, pizza rolls, chicken nuggets, spring rolls, soups, etc.

Never mind all the things you can make by just literally boiling water - hot dogs, pasta noodles, rice, meat, veggies.

Never mind all the people these days with an instant pot or air fryer or pressure cooker, to cook stuff fast. I make homemade pizza substituting wheat tortillas for dough in my air fryer, takes 30 minutes and only because I put on a lot of toppings (actual cook time maybe 10-15 minutes).

And even if you use a stove I can fry up eggs or make a decent burger in almost no time at all.

Hell, if you got a panini press you can make a good hot sandwich quick like.

If you are spending hours in the kitchen, using a ton of ingredients, and getting confused by some complicated recipe, you're doing it wrong. More meals than I'm willing to count can be made in under an hour if not half an hour with only a few ingredients. And I'm a lazy and uncreative chef.

*Yes, most of what I listed isn't healthy, but neither is what you're likely to get at a restaurant either.
    We aren't talking about not going to restaurants because you can have the same meal at home. Not eating at home in general. I cook almost every day, and I am a good cook. But it doesn't replace the restaurant experience. If you want a meal similar to a good restaurant, what I posted is true. It was comparing this to movies at home vs theaters. I said the two are not comparable.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Most dishes are easy to make, 10 or 15 minutes of prep time then shove it in the oven or occasionally stir on the stove top. Everyone should become at least a functional cook with such easy access to recipes online.
    Yes, But it's about people going to restaurants when this is over, compared to movie theaters. And why the two are not the same.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Most dishes are easy to make, 10 or 15 minutes of prep time then shove it in the oven or occasionally stir on the stove top.
    Most? No, sorry. That does not describe "most" dishes.

Enough to survive, and eat perfectly well? Yes.

Astonishing Member

For me, one of the things I'm most miss about quarantines is seeing the big budget movies in theaters.

No way am I paying $19.99 for a home release.

The price sounds like a lot, but a family would easily spend that much on a cinema visit. I don’t know if I’d feel super happy paying equivalent to not get the big screen experience though.

Most dishes are easy to make, 10 or 15 minutes of prep time then shove it in the oven or occasionally stir on the stove top. Everyone should become at least a functional cook with such easy access to recipes online.
    There's a massive difference between eating to survive and eating for pleasure. Sure if the whole goal is to just make sure you don't die, you can throw stuff together in 10 to 15 minutes. But that's not why people go out most of the time.

Even if we get a handle on the virus, the memory of this event and fear of getting a disease from others will linger for a while. Its likely that many things will change post-virus, including movie-going. But there are lots of other things I'm more concerned about, like restaurants, small mom and pop operations, businesses that rely on weekly income. Movie theaters are already an overpriced affair, with overpriced food, dicey seating lots of times, unwanted noisy people and babies in the audience and a host of other drawbacks.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yes, But it's about people going to restaurants when this is over, compared to movie theaters. And why the two are not the same.
    On a side note, I just want to take this moment to complain about the trend of theaters serving dinner. Sure, there've been niche theaters that had dinner and a movie for decades, but that was the gimmick, and it would be isolated in those special theaters. Making them more standard across the board means wait service, flashing lights, complaints about the order, and food smells during gross-out scenes, all interrupting the movie experience -- plus that food would be more expensive anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    The price sounds like a lot, but a family would easily spend that much on a cinema visit. I don’t know if I’d feel super happy paying equivalent to not get the big screen experience though.
    Yeah, $19.99 would get 2-4 tickets in most other theaters, or 1-1.5 tickets in other higher end theaters. $19.99 for one isn't great, but $19.99 for a family of 5 is a deal.

Conversely and depending on your area, $19.99 isn't bad either if it means not having to worry about parking fees (if applicable) or gas/transit money, plus you get to control the movie all by yourself for snacks, bathroom breaks, etc. Say, if a ticket is $13 in a big city but each bus ride is $2.50 (without transfers), that's already $18 for the movie, without snacks and the comfort of home.
    Last edited by Cyke; 03-23-2020 at 12:20 PM.

We aren't talking about not going to restaurants because you can have the same meal at home. Not eating at home in general. I cook almost every day, and I am a good cook. But it doesn't replace the restaurant experience. If you want a meal similar to a good restaurant, what I posted is true. It was comparing this to movies at home vs theaters. I said the two are not comparable.
    There was just a whole to do about the theater experience, which is not the same as watching it on TV, and now you're saying we can't compare it to restaurants because eating out is an experience different from home...

That makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    There's a massive difference between eating to survive and eating for pleasure. Sure if the whole goal is to just make sure you don't die, you can throw stuff together in 10 to 15 minutes. But that's not why people go out most of the time.
    Most people go out because they're too tired to cook - most people eat out not at a fancy restaurant, they eat out at McDonald's.

Most people go out because they're too tired to cook - most people eat out not at a fancy restaurant, they eat out at McDonald's.
    Not in New York. We have many great restaurants at all prices, as well as McDs. And many people go out for the experience and the food. If you think you could make a NY pizza at home, I have a bridge to sell you.

I have a good TV and a good sound system... doesn't replicate the movie theatre effect. People eat out for a sandwich, for a burger... most of the sandwiches bought can be replicated. Let's not pretend people only go to restaurants to order food they couldn't cook if they didn't want to. One of my favourite things to eat out is Italian... I can cook pasta! Most of the meals people eat out are easy to replicate if they NEEDED to. The point is it's not about need, it's about WANT. And people want the movie experience. It's not about the literal "I watched the movie". Most of the lattes we drink can be replicated, but coffee shops are HUGE. Hell, half the coffee shops sell goods made at Costco. It's not about the literal product, it's about the experience. That's why cinema will be fine, because the experience cannot be replicated at home.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-23-2020 at 02:04 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

There was just a whole to do about the theater experience, which is not the same as watching it on TV, and now you're saying we can't compare it to restaurants because eating out is an experience different from home...

That makes no sense.

Oh there is a difference. But I don't think that difference is comparable to the restaurant, cook at home analogy, as I have explained. I am very sure they will start eating out again.I don't know if people will want to return to the theaters for the group experience in the same numbers pre-virus, or if they will decide that watching at home is fine for them. We will have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I have a good TV and a good sound system... doesn't replicate the movie theatre effect. People eat out for a sandwich, for a burger... most of the sandwiches bought can be replicated. Most of the coffee can be replicated, but coffee shops are HUGE. It's not about the literal product, it's about the experience. That's why cinema will be fine, because the experience cannot be replicated at home.
    I agree, and people will return, but will the numbers be down because a percent have decided they don't need the theater experience? To me it's an open question.

Not in New York. We have many great restaurants at all prices, as well as McDs. And many people go out for the experience and the food. If you think you could make a NY pizza at home, I have a bridge to sell you.
    It's my white whale. Pizza is one of my favorite things to make and I make a damn good pizza. But nothing will ever replicate the classic dollar slice at a New York pizzeria.