Page 5 of 156 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    It's my white whale. Pizza is one of my favorite things to make and I make a damn good pizza. But nothing will ever replicate the classic dollar slice at a New York pizzeria.
    More like $3 now, but yeah, plus wood oven and it's just heaven.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Movie theater is my favorite place to watch something. I am horrible at watching things at home. I always press pause, play on my phone. Ends up taking me all day to watch anything. But at the movie theater, keep my phone off like they tells ya to in the previews, and watch the whole thing in one go. Plus I love the atmosphere of the movie theater and obviously the giant screen.
    Hope they don’t go anywhere anytime soon.

Retired

Twenty dollars is about what we pay in Canada at the Cineplex--less on cheapskate Tuesday--much more for VIP showings and things like IMAX.

I've never ate during the movie--unless I was with a friend. I will sometimes buy a popcorn (with no butter), just because I feel guilty not ordering anything since that's where they make their money, but I always finish off the popcorn before the movie starts, because I don't want the distraction of eating popcorn while I'm concentrating on the movie. Friends want to get some and will eat during the movie and keep shaking the bag of popcorn at me when the movie is playing--I put up with it, but I don't like it. I'm watching the movie. I'm a terrible movie companion.

I have my big computer in my kitchen, so I'm watching movies and other things, while I'm cooking. If I'm really into what I'm watching, I will just focus on that. I can cook because I worked as a cook, but I know a lot of people can't or can't very well. That's why so many people end up eating junk food--because they can't prepare a healthy meal.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I think people will flock to movie theaters, restaurants, bars etc. again when this is over, provided there are any left to go to and provided they have any money to spend there.

If things can get back to ~normal by sometime this summer, the government bailout will probably be enough to save a lot of things. If things stay shut down for 12-18 months until there's a vaccine... then I'll be very happy I've build such a large collection of DVDs and CDs. At least until the Humungus and his gang ride into town and steal it all from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Not in New York. We have many great restaurants at all prices, as well as McDs. And many people go out for the experience and the food. If you think you could make a NY pizza at home, I have a bridge to sell you.
    Wouldn't know, I live in the south Alabama/north Florida area. New York isn't exactly representative of the country as a whole.

Retired

I see a lot of optimism here. I admire that attitude even if I can't manage to feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Wouldn't know, I live in the south Alabama/north Florida area. New York isn't exactly representative of the country as a whole.
    Okay, what about BBQ, you surely can't do that at home like the BBQ joints do.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Guys, this leads to nothing.

There is only one way, cinema will be back, people love it!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Guys, this leads to nothing.

There is only one way, cinema will be back, people love it!
    True, but, I suspect there might be changes, say like removing seats in theaters so there would be proper spacing between patrons. Sure, such an idea would hurt the box office, but it would also put the minds of moviegoers at rest as social distancing becomes an inevitable part of the new normal.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The advantage here is that, unlike the Great Depression or the Great Recession, this economic crash is caused by one specific thing. We know what it is, and one way or another it will go away relatively soon. It's because of enforced lack of consumer demand and enforced absence of workers from their jobs. Once that goes away along with the virus, the only thing holding back a recovery would be the number of businesses (small and local ones, mostly) who weren't able to survive and whose employees are left truly unemployed rather than temporarily laid off. That's why the most important parts of any relief package the government passes are a) extended unemployment benefits and b) massive aid to small businesses. Aid to large corporations will probably be necessary too... everyone sneers at the idea of "corporate bailout" but if a major corporation goes belly-up that leaves hundreds of thousands of people jobless.

I'm a pessimist by nature, but I think this thing will be under control by July or August and the economy, though damaged, will still be capable of recovering on its own.

China has re-opened 500 movie theaters so I guess eventually the ones that survived the loss will reopen in the USA. Perhaps they can get government loans to cover the costs of reopening.

Okay, what about BBQ, you surely can't do that at home like the BBQ joints do.
    Wow, you really are from New York...

Wow, you really are from New York...
    Well I know you can probably BBQ. But the effort and time for a backyard smoker is a lot more than just going to a place. (grew up in FL, btw)

Well I know you can probably BBQ. But the effort and time for a backyard smoker is a lot more than just going to a place. (grew up in FL, btw)
    In my experience there's hardly any effort involved, just remind that one family member to check on the food between beers, nothing easier.

Like we don't all have that one cookout drink and watch football guy in our family.

In my experience there's hardly any effort involved, just remind that one family member to check on the food between beers, nothing easier.

Like we don't all have that one cookout drink and watch football guy in our family.
    Sure. But it's the middle of the week, you want some Q. You have to go out and buy some ribs or brisket, get home, do your rub, get the smoker going and 2 to 6 hours later, you eat. Or just go to a BBQ place.
    You get home and want to see a movie, you sit down and watch a movie. That is the difference. And why they are not at all the same.

I am hoping people will return to the theaters in the same numbers, I just wonder if they all will.