Page 53 of 156 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

One thing to keep in mind is the streaming model hasn't been successfully proven yet in the way that HBO Max is trying to go. Netflix's streaming model was good unil they needed to start creating their own content to gain/keep subscribers because the content owners started pulling their material from Netflix's platform. These are two different models and have different impacts on revenue.

The first model which involves having a service provide access to already created content is cheaper and does not require much cash burn. The second model which involves creating content for the service has a major negative effect on cash burn. We know this because Netflix is spending almost as much as it brings in and they are having more frequent rounds of fund raising to offset its debt load.

I can't wait to see this thing really play out because there is a reason that all the other cash strapped studios aren't pulling this streaming move. Best believe, if streaming was that great of a deal to the studios, we wouldn't be having this conversation because everyone would have already jumped ship onto it
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 12-18-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Movie chains response to wb. Any wb film put on max will be only $3 to $5 a ticket AND the movie chains keep 80% of all ticket profits!

Mostly likely a bluff to make WB turn back and put everything in theaters.

Movie chains response to wb. Any wb film put on max will be only $3 to $5 a ticket AND the movie chains keep 80% of all ticket profits!

As someone with full sympathies with the smaller companies that got screwed over and the theaters, I hope that things work out in their favor. However, if it becomes a war between AT&T/HBO Max and the other side, I suspect that movie-goers are going to get caught in the middle.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    So imo this doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless the theaters are trying to push WB out completely and go all in with the other studios. If that happens, then that kills WB imo because it pushes talent and investment towards the other competitors because not only is there a better payday at the moment but also its probably about principle and respect which WB has not shown to anyone so they shouldn't expect it in return anymore.
    Makes perfect sense.

Sometimes, you have to take a punch to get in close enough to punch someone.

, I suspect that movie-goers are going to get caught in the middle.
    $3 a ticket ironic may get more people to go see the films at that price!

$3 a ticket ironic may get more people to go see the films at that price!
    No kidding.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Unless you actually have the contract in front of you, why should we actually believe that?

The only scenario where anything like this would be would involve a deal where partners did not sign contracts which contained a "Theater..." exclusive release and run in theaters.

If that was not the case, why would they have compensated the folks involved in the "Wonder Woman..." film?
    It’s already happening, WB is only first studio to go streaming, the others will eventually follow.
    Theaters will be a thing of the past, there maybe only a very few left by the year 2030.
    Last edited by luprki; 12-19-2020 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    It’s already happening, WB is only first studio to go streaming, the others will eventually follow.
    Theaters will be a thing of the past, there maybe only a very few left by the year 2030.
    Things that violate contracts happen all of the time. That they happen is not somehow magical proof that the contract was written the way that the violation happened.

Such violations are the entire reason that courts exist.

As of this latest post, I'm still not seeing anything new that actually does anything like proving that the contract in question is what you've said it is.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    You may want to check the streaming subscription model longevity viability first. While streaming has been around for a while the model of having a streaming service that creates original content without ads has not been successfully proven yet. Netflix has a major cash burn problem in this model that forces them into carrying debt and investment fund raising more frequently. This is bad considering they have 120 million subscribers. The subscription model where customers pay for access to older content (original Netflix) works better because paying for syndication rights is way cheaper and less negative on the bottom line.

Additionally, look at some of the platform companies like amazon, apple, and hulu, we don't know how profitable streaming really is for them or if its just a driver for other parts of their business and the other business areas actually makes up for it.

If streaming was really that profitable and that big of a deal, this conversation wouldn't be happening because all movies would already be on a platform and the theaters would be dead. WB is unfortunately a poor example about what viability of the model because the decision wasn't made in mind on how it would affect WarnerMedia, it was made on how it would affect ATT stocks, in short ATT sees it as a driver but this does not mean they see it exactly as a money maker. It's interesting because something doesn't sit right about this whole ordeal especially with Disney and Universal not following WB. After Mulan and Trolls 2 they have a good understanding on what their return may look like, and it must not be good because they are still sticking to theater releases as best they can.

Streaming can only make theaters obsolete IF they are a viable way to recoup revenue that is equal to or greater than what theaters currently bring in. Toss aside your feelings about theaters and streaming and see what the numbers say because that drives what will occur not necessarily what consumers say they want.

I think the consumer is going to get screwed after everything is done. We're noticing the prices on subscriptions go up on a frequency that equals cable price increases, pretty soon content is going to be owned by a handful of companies and costs may exceed that of cable once the cost of internet and the al a carte of subscriptions is added together. This is very much a wait and see game.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 12-19-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post

I think the consumer is going to get screwed after everything is done. We're noticing the prices on subscriptions go up on a frequency that equals cable price increases, pretty soon content is going to be owned by a handful of companies and costs may exceed that of cable once the cost of internet and the al a carte of subscriptions is added together. This is very much a wait and see game.
    This is another "Basics 101..." aspect of this.

If the local Cinemark theater has $3.00 "First Showing Of The Day..." prices, what exactly is the thing that would drive me to spend North of ten bucks monthly to watch the film in question?

For another five bucks, I've got a ticket along with a large popcorn and large soda. Never mind that the money goes into my local community.

Incredible Member

This is another "Basics 101..." aspect of this.

If the local Cinemark theater has $3.00 "First Showing Of The Day..." prices, what exactly is the thing that would drive me to spend North of ten bucks monthly to watch the film in question?

For another five bucks, I've got a ticket along with a large popcorn and large soda. Never mind that the money goes into my local community.
    Yup and with the pandemic causing so many job losses, I think many people will go into a mindset where they try to support their communities to help preserve or create more jobs. In addition this undercuts HBO Max by $12 just as an example. And contrary to what some have been saying, not all theater experiences are bad, many theaters in my area are clean and reasonably priced with food brought to you. However, I think the experience is dependent on what city and neighborhood you live.

Well, the movie theatres in my area are now closed again because of the pandemic. That sucks because I was going to take my whole family to see Wonder Woman for the holidays...except...even if I'm not on in the US of A I can still order Wonder Woman on demand! Well ain't that great, I can watch this movie with my whole family in the safety of my home!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Well, the movie theatres in my area are now closed again because of the pandemic. That sucks because I was going to take my whole family to see Wonder Woman for the holidays...except...even if I'm not on in the US of A I can still order Wonder Woman on demand! Well ain't that great, I can watch this movie with my whole family in the safety of my home!
    You actually sure about that?

You actually sure about that?
    I assume my mom knows what she's talking about, if I can't oh well. Either way I won't be seeing this film in theatres because I can't.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Don't think ww84 will be video on demand. It will be theatres and drive ins and hbo max only as far as i know.

Edit--uk gets vod early so if your in the uk you don't have to wait as long.

https://variety.com/2020/film/global...-k-1234866999/
    Last edited by Gaastra; 12-19-2020 at 05:01 PM.