Page 62 of 156 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast

It's still hitting theaters same day so I'm good.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    It's still hitting theaters same day so I'm good.
    So 007 is the last hold out and probably just a matter of time.

BANNED

This is the new norm, which is why movie theaters will die out.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    streaming alone is not sustainable for big budget blockbusters. Talk to me in a year when theaters all open at full capacity, about what the new normal is. It is way to soon to know.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Of all the things that might make movie theaters die out, streaming ranks right up there with television.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Of all the things that might make movie theaters die out, streaming ranks right up there with television.
    And Cable, VCRs and DVDs
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

My local theater stills pumps to fill around 1/4 its parking lot at peak hours with COVID restrictions and without any prime blockbusters out (most people already watched Wonder Woman 1984).

I'll believe theaters dead when I see the dead lot turned into a supermarket (a smaller chain near me is closing, but only temporarily for now).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    streaming alone is not sustainable for big budget blockbusters. Talk to me in a year when theaters all open at full capacity, about what the new normal is. It is way to soon to know.
    I agree with you totally, but at the same time when you watch FAWS that battle scene looks the same quality as any other big budget MCU blockbuster

I think this "new norm" won't be the norm next year once covid is behind us.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I agree with you totally, but at the same time when you watch FAWS that battle scene looks the same quality as any other big budget MCU blockbuster
    FAWS? Maybe, it depends how the income stream works out. I am not saying it will be one way or another, we will have to wait and see when theaters are completely open.
    Right now it looks like HBOMax is surviving on the back of big budget movies like WW84, JL and King Kong Godzilla. Will people stay with it if there are only small movies.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    FAWS is just trying to drive up Disney+ subscriptions. It doesn't have to be profitable in and of itself just yet, it just needs to get Disney+ some subscribers who hopefully stay for more content.

But once Disney+ has a base foundation? It can only afford to do so much streaming first/only/same day. Some movies are going to need big theater numbers to be profitable.
    There's a difference between getting the content to make their streaming service profitable, and making their big BIG movies profitable. They want both of those pies.

BANNED

Streaming isn’t TV, DVD nor VHS. Steaming is success is based on monthly subscriptions. Disney+ will add millions of subscribers when BW is released, most of whom will stay subscribers. Meaning Disney+ will continue to make millions well after the BW release. The studios couldn’t do this with TV, DVD or VHS. Remember with streaming, it’s all about monthly subscribers-a whole different ballgame.

Streaming isn’t TV, DVD nor VHS. Steaming is success is based on monthly subscriptions. Disney+ will add millions of subscribers when BW is released, most of whom will stay subscribers. Meaning Disney+ will continue to make millions well after the BW release. The studios couldn’t do this with TV, DVD or VHS. Remember with streaming, it’s all about monthly subscribers-a whole different ballgame.
    This prediction would be based on what exactly?

Astonishing Member

I really thought with the current vaccination rates that Black Widow would be released in May no problem. Thats what I get for thinking.

And...? Does this somehow make the billion dollars a pop theatrical blockbusters somehow not a profit that Disney will want to keep?

They can get and keep subscribers and still have theatrical exclusive premiere movies. I can't think of an argument why they wouldn't want that.