Page 65 of 156 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    What people don’t understand is that a lot of people cannot afford all the streaming services to see all the movies they want. And others rightly see it as a waste of money.
    There's also just a lot of "John/Jane Public..." math that a lot of the "The End Is Nigh..." set would like to ignore.

That Cinemark theater that I mentioned?

The folks I know never refer to it by it's actual name. They only call it "The People's Theater..."

A "First Matinee..."/"Senior..." ticket?

Three dollars and sixty cents.

Tell me what streaming service can beat that. Disney+ wants me to fork over thirty bucks on top of that I will have to subscribe?

Never happen, Jack.

Retired

Normal for me is how things were in the 1970s or 1980s. I'd like things to return to that state of affairs (at least for the distribution of movies), but I know it won't. And I have no real control over that, because large corporations make the decisions for all of us. They decide what kind of movies we'll see, where we'll see them and how much we'll pay for them. Things will never go back to how they were before, because they never do go back.

It does a person no good getting stuck in the mud. There are some things we can have if we try really hard to get them and there are some things we can't have and we just have to accept that. Maybe in some towns or cities you have cheap local theatres, where you can go and have a good time--great for you. We used to have that here, we don't no more and there's no pretending it's going to somehow happen again by some miracle.

Once corporations see how a new marketing model works and if it makes a profit, then they are going to go in that new direction. The little guy doesn't have much control over that.

China gvk near $50m and heading for $100m weekend!

https://deadline.com/2021/03/godzill...ce-1234722557/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Normal for me is how things were in the 1970s or 1980s. I'd like things to return to that state of affairs (at least for the distribution of movies), but I know it won't. And I have no real control over that, because large corporations make the decisions for all of us. They decide what kind of movies we'll see, where we'll see them and how much we'll pay for them. Things will never go back to how they were before, because they never do go back.

It does a person no good getting stuck in the mud. There are some things we can have if we try really hard to get them and there are some things we can't have and we just have to accept that. Maybe in some towns or cities you have cheap local theatres, where you can go and have a good time--great for you. We used to have that here, we don't no more and there's no pretending it's going to somehow happen again by some miracle.

Once corporations see how a new marketing model works and if it makes a profit, then they are going to go in that new direction. The little guy doesn't have much control over that.
    Yes, but theaters (outside covid) are still profitable. The new model making a profit for them is an additional revenue source. Not a replacement revenue source. Even if streaming makes them more money with a subscription model, it's still necessary to get rid of other revenue sources. You do the thing that makes most profit - frankly that's getting them to both go to the theater for new movies and subscribing to watch original series and older movies/cheaper movies. Sometimes going in a new direction involves taking the old one with you. Corporations are greedy - why would they ever settle for limiting themselves to fewer ways to make money off us?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    If folks actually maintain a subscription.

Again, you have pointed to right around "Zero..." data that points to that folks will...

- Subscribe To Disney+ For The First Time And Pay Thirty Bucks To See Black Widow.

- Maintain That Subscription After They Have Seen Black Widow.

For starters...

Asking someone where there data is?

It does magically create data to support your prediction that movie theaters never get back to "Pre-Covid..." levels/Theater Attendance Will Be Cut In Half/Lots Of Theaters Will Be Forced To Close Based On That.

As for "My..." data?

Right now in Illinois Covid is on a slight upswing as things open back up. Tonight, I drove past the Cinemark theater that is about two miles from me.

The lot was two-thirds of the way full.

That data does not point to that theaters are going to be forced to close down.

Past that?

Regal literally just announced that they are opening back up for business.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/23/98034...aters-in-april
    You say I have no data, but yet you haven’t produce any yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Streaming isn't exactly new, and yet until covid theaters were still doing great. Streaming is, in a lot of ways, a lot like television. Theaters survived tv too.
    Umm!, Disney+ is new, HBOMax is new, Paramount + is new, Peacock is new. theaters are not doing great, they are not doing half of the revenue pre covid.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post

That is because you haven't provided any data, and are making predictions based on what appears to be nothing.

Umm!, Disney+ is new, HBOMax is new, Paramount + is new, Peacock is new. theaters are not doing great, they are not doing half of the revenue pre covid.
    Again...

You are trying to frame this as an "Apples..."/"Apples..." comparison while you make every possible excuse for the streaming side and ignore that movie theaters have managed to still do business in the midst of almost impossible circumstances.

Netflix has been around for like a decade now. I don't know that more services make a difference when most of what they're offering they used to license for Netflix...

And of course theaters aren't doing great right now - covid is still ongoing! Covid numbers are way worse than pre-covid numbers, but there's no reason to assume that post-covid numbers won't bounce back to pre-covid levels. You can't assume that because theaters aren't doing well in a specific situation that means it's how things just are gonna be from now on even after this very specific situation is over.

Astonishing Member

This is even more impressive when you know that this movie is already available on HBO Max(for a month) & theaters in the US still aren’t at full capacity. This is great news that hopefully signals the rebound of theaters.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 04-01-2021 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post

This is even more impressive when you know that this movie is already available on HBO Max(for a month) & theaters in the US still aren’t at full capacity. This is great news that hopefully signals the rebound of theaters.
    We live in such a weird time in history where this is considered a solid debut, but that's covid for you!

GVK makes another $6.7m thursday. Up to $16.3 m so far.

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...ic-1234943190/

Astonishing Member
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Any other year, these numbers wouldn't be considered great - during covid, people are making victory laps. Just goes to show the times we live in.

Hoping all this success is promising for more movies with Godzilla and Kong in the future.

This is better than people think. King of Monster did $47 million opening weekend. So this is a big number.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 04-04-2021 at 09:45 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    This is better than people think. King of Monster did $47 million opening weekend. So this is a big number.
    Yeah, but people agree that KotM's numbers weren't good. People were ragging on that opening. A couple years and one pandemic later and those numbers are considered great.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yeah, but people agree that KotM's numbers weren't good. People were ragging on that opening. A couple years and one pandemic later and those numbers are considered great.
    Sure, but this was in less theaters and they were not full (COVID) So why not consider this great, it isn't happening in a vacuum, all the circumstances matter. It shows that when theaters can be full again at the end of the year, people will go to a movie they want to see, and we will be back to pre-COVID numbers. I don't think streaming has ended movie theaters as some others suggest.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!