Page 66 of 156 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Sure, but this was in less theaters and they were not full (COVID) So why not consider this great, it isn't happening in a vacuum, all the circumstances matter. It shows that when theaters can be full again at the end of the year, people will go to a movie they want to see, and we will be back to pre-COVID numbers. I don't think streaming has ended movie theaters as some others suggest.
    Oh I wasn't disagreeing at all - in context this really is great. Just saying how far things have changed because of the pandemic. Numbers we'd used to all hold our noses up at we are now celebrating. Strange new world eh?

$285.4m ww and $48.5M in america!

https://deadline.com/2021/04/godzill...ce-1234727363/

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Oh I wasn't disagreeing at all - in context this really is great. Just saying how far things have changed because of the pandemic. Numbers we'd used to all hold our noses up at we are now celebrating. Strange new world eh?
    True this. The top grossing movie of 2020 was Bad Boys for Life at $200 million.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I think if nothing else we’ll return to the days when a movie could make a hundred million opening weekend this year. I’ll make a reasonable prediction and say BW will be the first pandemic era film to be released that has a hundred million dollar opening weekend domestically.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 04-04-2021 at 02:31 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    I think if nothing else we’ll return to the days when a movie could make a hundred million opening weekend this year. I’ll make a reasonable prediction and say BW will be the first pandemic era film to be released that has a hundred million dollar opening weekend domestically.
    Only if it is good. Word of mouth and reviews could kill it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Only if it is good. Word of mouth and reviews could kill it.
    Well, that was true pre-pandemic and pre-streaming too.

AMC stocks shot up. Don't know about stocks but from the story they are saying buy them as "poeople are ready to leave the house and go back to the movies."

“We believe consumers want to leave the house and return to the theater, and these results are very telling, especially considering that the movie was available for free to HBO Max subscribers at the same time as the theatrical release,” Wold wrote.
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...sh-11617628431

So good news for amc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    AMC stocks shot up. Don't know about stocks but from the story they are saying buy them as "poeople are ready to leave the house and go back to the movies."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...sh-11617628431

So good news for amc.
    Maybe they (AMC) got their Covid-19 shots, lol.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

AMC stocks were part of that whole Gamestop kerfluffle. The rise in their price against those that shorted them actually kept them out of bankruptcy danger.

The strong Box office from GvK surely helped this.

Pixar not happy over luca getting pulled. It doesn't help that early reviews are saying it's great.

https://insidethemagic.net/2021/03/p...ees-upset-ad1/

So...

With Covid still hobbling the theaters, a film made a quarter of what last year's top grossing film brought in during it's entire theatrical run in a single weekend...

(Which Is Only Accounting For America...)

Am I still supposed to believe that there is no data that points to that theaters might just survive this whole thing?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    So...

With Covid still hobbling the theaters, a film made a quarter of what last year's top grossing film brought in during it's entire theatrical run in a single weekend...

(Which Is Only Accounting For America...)

Am I still supposed to believe that there is no data that points to that theaters might just survive this whole thing?
    As a person who predicts that theaters could die( aka take a big cut back) the biggest sign in the theaters favor is Disney and WB( and pretty much nobody major has full commit to early streaming model) have shown they are commit to the theater releases. So the theater model is some what safe as long those companies want to do that. There is still some interesting battles in the future with same day releases on streaming, There is a clear a market of people who will pay premium price to watch a movie at home and that is still the killer theater model. Obviously the theaters have been highly resistant to that move but if films are doing well in the theaters even with same day at home , I think the studios could convince theaters to let it happen.

I still think we could walk out of this period Disney happy with premium access model and willing to use on their smaller films. I think Disney can bully Theaters enough to let it happen but I don't think it happens because Disney doesn't seem interested in the big fight because they want movies in the theaters. Which sucks because I really want to see want happens when Theater companies use there leverage of we aren't showing you movies and company like Disney goes "whatever" we don't need the Theaters to make money. It would be interesting to see who is hurt more and my money is on the theaters not Disney.

Astonishing Member

Honestly I know this thread has gone on a long time. But the answer is no. Movies will come back into theaters. Its obvious. There shouldn't even be a debate at this point.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Honestly I know this thread has gone on a long time. But the answer is no. Movies will come back into theaters. Its obvious. There shouldn't even be a debate at this point.
    Quoted for truth. And I've argued the same for MONTHS, people WANT to go to theatres and certain movies are MORE enjoyable on the big screen.

A study was done in 2019 and it was concluded that there are more streaming services than realistic demand. https://www.vice.com/en/article/vb58...es-study-finds

Seriously, I don't know how many people are going to subscribe to:

Paramount+
    Disney+
    HBO Max
    Amazon Prime
    Peacock
    Netflix
    Apple TV

To compound it further, a lot of movies will be exclusive to each streaming service meaning that if you don't subscribe to them all you will miss out on great movies. Whereas virtually every major release is available in the theatre.

Seriously, add up the cost of all this and take into account the fact the D+ is charging a premium to stream movies like Black Widow and it becomes a simple economics decision. Personally, I'm not shelling out $30 in addition to the monthly $6.99 to see Black Widow.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Quoted for truth. And I've argued the same for MONTHS, people WANT to go to theatres and certain movies are MORE enjoyable on the big screen.

A study was done in 2019 and it was concluded that there are more streaming services than realistic demand. https://www.vice.com/en/article/vb58...es-study-finds

Seriously, I don't know how many people are going to subscribe to:

Paramount+
    Disney+
    HBO Max
    Amazon Prime
    Peacock
    Netflix
    Apple TV

To compound it further, a lot of movies will be exclusive to each streaming service meaning that if you don't subscribe to them all you will miss out on great movies. Whereas virtually every major release is available in the theatre.

Seriously, add up the cost of all this and take into account the fact the D+ is charging a premium to stream movies like Black Widow and it becomes a simple economics decision. Personally, I'm not shelling out $30 in addition to the monthly $6.99 to see Black Widow.
    The average cable cost pre cord cutting era was 100 dollars. So no streaming is still cheaper than what was before. AND with so many of them and quality product they are putting out, it make people less likely to go theater they are being trained to wait until it hits streaming.

Again anybody who takes one person extra to movie knows how expensive a movie theater actually is you easily spend over 30 dollars at movie theater between food and ticket price. 30 dollars is ain't crap 2 hotdogs, 1 popcorn, 2 soda and 1 nacho plus 2 tickets is easily 50 plus dollars. I will easily spend 30 dollars to avoid the movie theater experience a lot of movies are made worse by people talking, kid kicking your seat, bad seats, dirty floors, etc

PS-The biggest lie being told in that in the Cable era you some how got ALL content, no you all always missed out on great movies. You couldn't get the basic package at then just add on HBO and premium tier stuff, Cable made you pick up tiers with things you never wanted. This is what people have always wanted to be able to pick what channels you want for cable. If companies just let you choose channels then streaming services would have never caught on. It was a like 150 dollars month to get ALL of channels and Hbo, Showtime, Cinemax. And the reality of that was you only watch 5 or 8 channels leaving with 100 channels of garbage basically that is why cord cutting caught on.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 04-06-2021 at 12:46 AM.