Page 7 of 156 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    If only there had been some way to have be warned early, prepare for this and minimize the threat. *shrugs*
    You mean like some sort of team to deal with pandemics?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

If only there had been some way to have be warned early, prepare for this and minimize the threat. *shrugs*
    Yeah, I'll be remembering that this November.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Retired

Personally, I feel stupid. I could see what was happening, I anticipated that things could get worse and yet I still didn't do enough to prepare. I think I was lured into complacency by the thought that someone would surely do something, that no one would let things get this bad. And now we're screwed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Personally, I feel stupid. I could see what was happening, I anticipated that things could get worse and yet I still didn't do enough to prepare. I think I was lured into complacency by the thought that someone would surely do something, that no one would let things get this bad. And now we're screwed.
    I can feel you. I just knew that the stock market would take a hit, but I stayed invested instead of collecting my money...why? Because no one was selling, even if you could see the crash a mile away...damn stupid to not hear to myself and act.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I can feel you. I just knew that the stock market would take a hit, but I stayed invested instead of collecting my money...why? Because no one was selling, even if you could see the crash a mile away...damn stupid to not hear to myself and act.
    You are not alone. But it did happen faster than any crash in history.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Sadly a movie theater I liked going to was shut down so they could build apartments on it's site which is dumb because the theater is next door to city hall.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think overall theaters will be fine. There is just to much money involved for the studios to let them fail. No matter how good a deal they might get for VOD movies it will never come close the amount of money they can make of a solid theater run. The independent theaters might fall but the major chains will survive this.

I think it's too soon to say how anything is going to be truly affected. I think once April is over we'll start to have a better idea of where things stand.

I don't see large social gatherings changing a lot until there's a vaccine, though. China re opened theatres, and promptly shut them the **** back down.

Retired

British Columbia's chief health officer at today's press conference said that things might improve in the summer, but then we will get a second wave in the fall. If that holds true in other places, theatres might jump the gun and open in August only to be closed again in September or October when the second wave hits. A vaccine could solve that problem, but the science indicates that's not likely to happen for another six months (at best).

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    British Columbia's chief health officer at today's press conference said that things might improve in the summer, but then we will get a second wave in the fall. If that holds true in other places, theatres might jump the gun and open in August only to be closed again in September or October when the second wave hits. A vaccine could solve that problem, but the science indicates that's not likely to happen for another six months (at best).
    Most likely things would open up a bit around June and stay open until an increase in cases indicated a second wave was arriving, and then we go back to lockdown. It's important to give people a break from the harsh measures when possible, even if it's only for 2 or 3 months. Otherwise they will start to rebel and agree with Trump that the cure is worse than the disease.

Effective treatments... antibody therapy or remdesivir, or both, could make things easier as well as identifying those who have already been exposed (maybe without symptoms) and are therefore hopefully immune, at least for the time being. I wouldn't expect a vaccine until after the new year at the very earliest, and even that schedule will have a lot of infectious disease experts clutching their pearls.

But like I said... it's probably unwise to open up mass gathering events until there is a vaccine.

I am split on my thoughts/feelings on this.

On one hand, I prefer to watch content in my own home. I may go to the theater like twice a year and it's only to see a movie that I know will get spoiled if I do not wait (Avengers Endgame for example).
    This is mainly due to the ridiculous price of going to the theater AND the fact that people in general do not know how to behave anymore and are complete idiots.

However, I realize that theaters are great jobs, especially for younger people and I would hate to see people out of work.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Retired

The thing is even if things improve in June, it's going to take a few weeks for everything to gear up again. A studio doesn't want to dump a movie in the theatre the day after you get the all-clear. It wants to build up the movie so everyone will show up for it. Which is why the studios are all pushing their movies to later dates--WW84 seems the earliest with its August date and most other movies are pushed to the fall. However, I think they are putting themselves in a tight corner, if there's a second wave of the virus.

If we do get the all-clear, I'm going to rush out to buy all the things I didn't have--I need to repair my kitchen sink, which is leaking, but I don't have the parts. And I'm sure everyone will do the same. It will be like Black Friday on all household items. We'll all be stocking our bunkers for Apocalypse 2020 part 2.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Most likely things would open up a bit around June and stay open until an increase in cases indicated a second wave was arriving, and then we go back to lockdown. It's important to give people a break from the harsh measures when possible, even if it's only for 2 or 3 months. Otherwise they will start to rebel and agree with Trump that the cure is worse than the disease.

Effective treatments... antibody therapy or remdesivir, or both, could make things easier as well as identifying those who have already been exposed (maybe without symptoms) and are therefore hopefully immune, at least for the time being. I wouldn't expect a vaccine until after the new year at the very earliest, and even that schedule will have a lot of infectious disease experts clutching their pearls.

But like I said... it's probably unwise to open up mass gathering events until there is a vaccine.
    On another forum I go to one person has already admitted they had to be talked out of suicide and I suspect a number of others of being in bad shape. If the lockdown goes more than the end of April I think it will absolutely be worse than the disease.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    On another forum I go to one person has already admitted they had to be talked out of suicide and I suspect a number of others of being in bad shape. If the lockdown goes more than the end of April I think it will absolutely be worse than the disease.
    What's your math on that? Because they're basically expecting 100,000+ deaths in the next few weeks here in America. And that's after corralling this as much as we can, admittedly, after the fact.

But hey, one person admitted to extreme feelings. I guess we should all just go get fucking sick, overrun the hospitals, and start dying en mass? Good solution.

This whole "suicide" scare that keeps coming up as some kind of argument for, i don't even really know what, is just horse ****. Stop it.

Mighty Member

What's your math on that? Because they're basically expecting 100,000+ deaths in the next few weeks here in America. And that's after corralling this as much as we can, admittedly, after the fact.

But hey, one person admitted to extreme feelings. I guess we should all just go get fucking sick, overrun the hospitals, and start dying en mass? Good solution.

This whole "suicide" scare that keeps coming up as some kind of argument for, i don't even really know what, is just horse ****. Stop it.

BS, suicide rates are known to go up in hard economic times. And talk about numbers that 100,000 is for the total not the next few weeks so check your own damn numbers.