Page 71 of 156 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 2338

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    That’s not what I’m saying. The studio will make more money with same day releases as theaters will never totally recover from covid.Theaters won’t be able to bring in enough money for this greedy studios executives. I think theaters will be phased out for non blockbuster movies. Young people today don’t need big screen and big sound, they watch movie on cell phone today.
    Again...

If someone wants to believe that based on almost nothing?

That's absolutely their call as far as what they want to believe is happening.

Still doesn't really change that none of the actual facts point to anything like this happening anytime soon.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    What are you basing that on? All evidence seems to point to the contrary.
    Quoted for truth.

The box office is recovering (the numbers are literally going up) and we shouldn't even forget that we are still in the midst of the pandemic.

Seeing these numbers in the midst of this is very encouraging.

Ultimate Member

That’s not what I’m saying. The studio will make more money with same day releases as theaters will never totally recover from covid.Theaters won’t be able to bring in enough money for this greedy studios executives. I think theaters will be phased out for non blockbuster movies. Young people today don’t need big screen and big sound, they watch movie on cell phone today.
    LOL..what are you even going on about.

Box office numbers are rising as we're getting out of the pandemic.

All evidence points to the complete opposite of what you're saying.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Quoted for truth.

The box office is recovering (the numbers are literally going up) and we shouldn't even forget that we are still in the midst of the pandemic.

Seeing these numbers in the midst of this is very encouraging.
    For just one example, there's the promising tidbit linked before about Mortal Kombat in early release opening higher than Godzilla vs Kong in Russia. Just one territory and different kind of movies, but it supports the notion event movies will continue to generate turnout.

Astonishing Member
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Covid may not end theatrical movies, but it sure as hell ending theaters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    This is what I been saying all along, this is the first shoe to drop. I was hoping I was wrong, but apparently not. Hollywood is not making enough blockbusters movies for theaters to survive. I expect other theaters chains will shutdown some or maybe all of their of their sites. The way we watch movies has been changing for years and covid just aggravated the problem.
    Last edited by luprki; 04-12-2021 at 10:29 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    What are you basing that on? All evidence seems to point to the contrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by PD98 View Post
    Really? Theaters aren't going to bring in the money once we get 100% past the pandemic? How? After all unless they all start charging $30~ (that should/maybe/probably not balance out the single person and large households) to watch newly released movies streaming will only make them a fraction off of the movies compared to what they make in theaters. I can honestly say that if gyms, salons, restaurants, sporting events, theme parks, bars, and Spring Break in Florida are any indication the majority of people will/are returning to theaters. My family went to see WW84 and GvK and I can honestly say for those screenings practically every seat not left empty for social distancing taken. If there is one major advantage movie theaters have over phones and streaming at home: the social obligation to be quiet and turn their phones off so they are less likely to interrupted or easily distracted while watching.
    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Again...

If someone wants to believe that based on almost nothing?

That's absolutely their call as far as what they want to believe is happening.

Still doesn't really change that none of the actual facts point to anything like this happening anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    LOL..what are you even going on about.

Box office numbers are rising as we're getting out of the pandemic.

All evidence points to the complete opposite of what you're saying.
    ArcLight and Pacific Theaters are going out of business, here your evidence and the first shoe to drop.
    Last edited by luprki; 04-12-2021 at 10:44 PM.

This is what I been saying all along, this is the first shoe to drop. I was hoping I was wrong, but apparently not. Hollywood is not making enough blockbusters movies for theaters to survive. I expect other theaters chains will shutdown some or maybe all of their of their sites. The way we watch movies has been changing for years and covid just aggravated the problem.
    This is like saying because a lion catches the slowest gazelle, lions are going to kill all of the gazelles.

As for "Covid Just Aggravated The Problem..."?

That is simply not what is happening. Covid is the entire problem.

For some actual perspective...

Between the Pacific Theatres and Arclight brands, the Decurion Corporation controlled more than 300 screens in California. The 18 Pacific Theatres screens at the Glendale Americana and 14 at the Grove in the Fairfax District of Los Angeles are both major anchors for those entertainment centers. Other Pacific locations were in Northridge, Sherman Oaks, Lakewood and Chatsworth.
    A few hundred theaters in a single state will be closing.

There is nothing that actually points to that it will be any more than that.

BANNED

For some actual perspective...

A few hundred theaters in a single state will be closing.

There is nothing that actually points to that it will be any more than that.
    This is the beginning and it just not California. There was nothing pointing to this, but it still happen.

This is the beginning and it just not California. There was nothing pointing to this, but it still happen.
    What is in blue -

That is your belief. Plenty of things point away from something like that actually coming to pass.

As for what is in green? -

Politely, you are simply incorrect.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/a...le-1234920558/

Alamo Drafthouse Files for Chapter 11, Announces Sale to Altamont Capital, Fortress Investment
    Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, the Texas-based theater chain that has become a favorite with cinephiles for its dine-in service and fan-forward approach to exhibition, has filed for Chapter 11. The bankruptcy filing comes as part of an asset purchase agreement with Altamont Capital Partners, a previous investor in the company, as well as affiliates of Fortress Investment Group, a new backer. The company says that operations will continue as normal and the Chapter 11 process and sale will give it the capital it needs to continue operating as it emerges from a public health crisis that left many of its locations closed for months. The agreement involves “the sale of substantially all its assets.”
    That some of the chains that were in a weaker economic position will(and already had...) not make it out the other side.

There were absolutely things that pointed to that.

ArcLight and Pacific Theaters are going out of business, here your evidence and the first shoe to drop.
    That's not good evidence. We all knew a year without big blockbusters were going to put some theaters and chains out of business. That's not the same thing as an end to the theatrical experience. After covid someone's going to buy up the theaters that didn't survive and reopen them. We all said as much. So...how does it happening show that the sky is falling?

Covid is the entire problem.
    Why is this such a mystery to some people?

Ultimate Member

It's baffling.

Covid-19 is the cause of the problem and as society recovers, the box office is improving.

Yes, some theatres have closed but overall attendance is up. Arguing against this is simply arguing against the fact.