Page 78 of 156 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 2338

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Another nail in the coffin? Man, covid is the only nail! Theaters weren't dying out or in decline before. Yeah people have huge TVs, and yet everyone still packed the theaters for every single MCU film. Fast and the Furious films. Disney's remake films. The non-Snyder DCEU films. The James Bond films. John Wick films. And like half a dozen other franchises I'm probably forgetting. I mean it's like:

Everyone: At the theater.
    Guy online: Man, theaters sure are dying right?
    Movie theatre tickets have been in decline for the last 17 years. It's common knowledge that they were struggling way before COVID happened.

According to Bloomberg, admissions to movie theaters in the US and Canada fell 5.8% in 2017, the lowest attendance since 1992. Attendance rose again in 2018, according to the New York Times. However, the following year, both ticket sales and revenue declined.
    https://www.***************.com/phot...-is-falling-13 Won't take the link for some reason.

Most people I know would rather watch movies from the comfort of their own home.

You just posted that in three years attendance went down and up.

Never mind that if the "1992..." number was really being at death's door?

Theaters have a nearly decades long run of avoiding the Grim Reaper.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    You just posted that in three years attendance went down and up.

Never mind that if the "1992..." number was really being at death's door?

Theaters have a nearly decades long run of avoiding the Grim Reaper.
    down than up...and declined the following year. I never stated that theatres were about to fold entirely, but their attendance started to decline well before COVID.

In about 50 years or so, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot less movie theatres in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    down than up...and declined the following year. I never stated that theatres were about to fold entirely, but their attendance started to decline well before COVID.

In about 50 years or so, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot less movie theatres in town.
    Someone probably said something a lot like that in '92...

Someone probably said something a lot like that in '92...
    In 1992 there was no internet, streaming, illegal downloads, and large digital entertainment systems are much more affordable today.

Personally I would rather watch a film at home than travel to the theatre if given the option.

In 1992 there was no internet, streaming, illegal downloads, and large digital entertainment systems are much more affordable today.

Personally I would rather watch a film at home than travel to the theatre if given the option.
    Sure. I totally get that said piece of the puzzle exists.

That said, you just laid out two things that should seemingly be hobbling theaters while pointing to a piece that says they are ballparking numbers from what was supposedly really tough times.

If they have more roadblocks while seemingly holding their own?

I just don't see where that reality points to that they are in any real trouble.

Sure. I totally get that said piece of the puzzle exists.

That said, you just laid out two things that should seemingly be hobbling theaters while pointing to a piece that says they are ballparking numbers from what was supposedly really tough times.

If they have more roadblocks while seemingly holding their own?

I just don't see where that reality points to that they are in any real trouble.
    The media has been pointing to the decline of movie theatres for years, largely as a result of the previous things I have listed.

Anyways what was initially meant to be a fly by comment has turned into a rather lengthy conversation, more than what I would like to spend on it, so I will let someone else argue my point if they like.

Otherwise it's not that important to me, cheers.

Astonishing Member

Just for a few things, back then overseas theaters were much less expanded than now, superhero movies were much more limited about how many properties outside of Batman and Superman could bring big bucks in, and we didn't have Blumhouse who master the low budget horror blockbuster genre.

Power to you if you've eventually decided travelling for cinematic entertainment (as opposed to travelling for work, shopping or less glamorous activities) would be unmovably worse for you, but I remain unconvinced the same applies for a big enough number of general audiences.

Movie theatre tickets have been in decline for the last 17 years. It's common knowledge that they were struggling way before COVID happened.

https://www.***************.com/phot...-is-falling-13 Won't take the link for some reason.

Most people I know would rather watch movies from the comfort of their own home.
    Decline is not the same as dying though, is it? So what, they do 5% less business during the era of streaming that means they're a doomed business?

BANNED

Very poor box office numbers this weekend. The number one movie (Wrath of Man) only made $8 million. Awful for a number movie.
    With no new pre-material blockbuster movie, the box office is basically nonexistent.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Very poor box office numbers this weekend. The number one movie (Wrath of Man) only made $8 million. Awful for a number movie.
    With no new pre-material blockbuster movie, the box office is basically nonexistent.
    Eh, wait until the next MCU movie comes out.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Last time you talked about numbered weekends grosses you counted badly about the biggest movie around. Not counting China movies but I already feel you don't think about that market in here.

Whatever you say but if "pre-material blockbuster" is, as I interpret it, not supposed to include 100% original movies, Nobody is not only getting all kinds of profit and consumer good media vibes, it looks to me like it will gross just in theaters worldwide around 2/3 of what John Wick 1 did lifetime. And that movie not only did open before a global pandemic (which shouldn't be pointed out every post but here we are thanks to you) but also had a main lead more recognizable than Bob Odenkirk while also being R-rated.
    Last edited by Wildling; 05-09-2021 at 02:32 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, wait until the next MCU movie comes out.
    Yeah, the real telling thing will be how well Black Widow does at the box office. I know Godzilla vs. Kong did well worldwide and is creeping closer to 100 million domestic. If more theaters are open with more screenings, it will certainly help Black Widow's numbers. If it does well, and by "well", I mean make at the very least Godzilla vs. Kong money and that's still probably lowballing it, there is more than just hope for the theater industry. However, if it underperforms, especially for the number of screens and seats open, then I think the movie theater industry is in trouble.

I mean MK has hurt by HBO Max and Demon Slayer was limited released

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post

Whatever you say but if "pre-material blockbuster" is, as I interpret it, not supposed to include 100% original movies, Nobody is not only getting all kinds of profit and consumer good media vibes, it looks to me like it will gross just in theaters worldwide around 2/3 of what John Wick 1 did lifetime. And that movie not only did open before a global pandemic (which shouldn't be pointed out every post but here we are thanks to you) but also had a main lead more recognizable than Bob Odenkirk while also being R-rated.
    Past that...

You also have to be able to ask yourself what a Guy Ritchie film that is something of a remake would rake in under the best of circumstances.